New cat won’t eat or drink

ashcoffee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I adopted a five year old cat, and she has not attempted to eat or drink in the past 72 hours. I’ve consulted with my vet and have tried a couple things to no avail. I’ve offered her typical options. Would not try. I’ve even tried offering her stinky wet food and fancy feast (having heard that it is successful with cats who have low appetite!). The vet then offered a probiotic topper. She would not try either. On the 48th hour, I syringe fed her a high calorie nutrient dense gel and some water. She was pretty receptive, nevertheless, it is distressful. And, I rather her eat her normal diet asap. How did you get your new cat to eat or drink? After how long did they eat or drink?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are VERY stressed when introduced to a new home, this is not unusual. I recommend putting some dry food out near her hiding place and see if she eats during the night. That is when they usually come out at first. The no eating is typically 3-4 days, and then they start eating at night. Is she using the litterbox? Some cats just take longer than others. I keep Hartz Delectable Lickables around in the stew flavors for cats that won't eat, they usually love this stuff! You can get it at Walmart and Dollar General. Bless you, for adopting her! I guess you are finding out you earn a cat's love, and when you get it, it is a treasure!

lmunsie1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Second what has been said. New adoptions are stressful for parent and cat. If possible keeping kitty in a quiet dark room with few interuptions, litterbox, water and dry food so you can tell if anything has been eaten is probably ideal. If kitty is using the litter box I wouldn't worry yet.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

lavishsqualor

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She'll come around. This time next month she'll be lying in your lap purring as you surf The Cat Site.

Mark my words.

:happycat:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ashcoffee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much! We visited the vet, and they prescribed an appetite stimulant. She started eating and drinking, albeit she only eats a bit and walk away. Foster told me she's not very food motivated!