New cat with old issues

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I should take a video of his breathing. It’s definitely labored and with the congestion he just walks around snorting, trying to breathe. He’s so loving though and just wants to snuggle. He will also chase a string toy so that’s good. I wish they could answer when we ask “are you in pain?”

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Okay. I don't even know where to begin about yesterday's scope with Clarence. In a nutshell....there is no hole in the roof of his mouth. It's an indentation. A depression. And his nasal cavity is completely covered with scar tissue. No wonder he can't breathe!!!! The surgeon said he wasn't expecting to go in through his nose and hit a wall. It's very rare. I think this is what he has:

Nasopharyngeal stenosis in Cats (Felis) | Vetlexicon

The surgeon called me in and told me the situation and explained that he would have to cut two holes on either side and "lift" the depression. My sister compared it to popping out a dent in a car. Then he would put tubes/stents in his nostrils and those would have to stay a few months while the two holes healed. It was more complicated than that, but I had a hard time following to be honest. It was complex. He also said, "I could get halfway in and have to abort. This is very rare and I'm not sure it'll work." I said then he'd have two holes in his mouth and he said those would heal. But Clarence would have to eat dry food. He won't eat dry food now and I think it has to do with him breathing through his mouth. I mash up kitten food with a little warm water and he half drinks/half dips his paw in it and licks it off. It works for him. He's adapted. I can still change my mind, but I had to decide if I wanted him to start the first procedure yesterday. I said, "I'm inclined to leave it alone..." and he jumped up and said, "I'm okay with what you just said." So Clarence will continue to be spoiled with all the kitten food and Churus he wants and loved on and cuddled until he decides he's had enough. The doctor was amazed he was found in a colony. How did he survive? He was emaciated, but still.... I'm glad I did this because now we have a clear picture. That must be some indentation because multiple doctors thought it was a hole, including the surgeon when he initially looked at it. Here's the drawing the doctor gave me:

MicrosoftTeams-image.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Wow! From the description in the link, it does sound exactly what you have described about Clarence. How he survived and how lucky he was to have found you is still so touching. Evidently this is not a condition or procedure that I have any additional information about. Having said that, it sounds like the surgery could be one of those where you think you are helping but actually created a huge complication.
It was more complicated than that, but I had a hard time following to be honest.
It is very hard to think clearly when you receive unexpected information like this.

Is this the kind of thing where any medication would help him to breathe easier?

How is Liam? Please keep us updated on Clarence!

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Wow! From the description in the link, it does sound exactly what you have described about Clarence. How he survived and how lucky he was to have found you is still so touching. Evidently this is not a condition or procedure that I have any additional information about. Having said that, it sounds like the surgery could be one of those where you think you are helping but actually created a huge complication.

It is very hard to think clearly when you receive unexpected information like this.

Is this the kind of thing where any medication would help him to breathe easier?

They took a culture and we will see if we can treat it somehow with meds. It’s basically chronic congestion. He snorts and sniffles a lot and in between he does this cute little pigeon coo. When he wants food, it’s a raspy demanding MEOW! He’s a little character! Lol. I feel relieved that I finally got this done, even if it is unexpected info.

Susanna72

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise

Forgot to say Liam is losing weight and although he doesn’t like his inhaler, with treats we are getting it done!