New Cat Very Much Dislikes First Cat Playing

sotemanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. 

I recently got a new cat. First let me tell you that the first cat we have (Mario) will be one in September, and he's incredibly rambunctious and playful. We got this new cat with the hope that they could be friends and that the new cat (The Captain - who is somewhere between 2 and 6, the shelter wasn't sure since he was a stray) would want to play with Mario. But so far that does not seem to be the case. When we saw The Captain at the shelter he was pretty playful and played with us. And when I visited him a second time before we picked him up, he was definitely acting in a similarly playful fashion as Mario likes to act sometimes. So I figured they'd get along well. 

So fast forward to now: Mario wants nothing more than to play with The Captain, who wants nothing to do with it. He's been pretty quiet and reserved, sleepy since we got him, but I assume that's because he has an upper respiratory infection, which he appeared to be getting when we picked him up. (Mario had one, too, when we first adopted him. But he was still very playful and you could barely tell he had one). Do you think his lack of wanting to play could be because of the URI? Any suggestions on how to calm Mario down a little? He keeps trying to tackle The Captain (I know it's not aggressive on his part because I've seen him play like that with the cat who lives downstairs in the house. He never growls or hisses or does anything mean. He just seems to want to play). And all The Captain ever does in response is hiss at him. We've only had The Captain about 5 days. So maybe they can figure it out, but I'm just worried about them. Any thoughts? 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sotemanna

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I realize we definitely rushed their introduction, which I'm sure isn't helping. So for now we're trying to keep them separated, but it's a struggle, because both cats cry when one is with us and the other isn't, and I feel super guilty, so if you have any suggestions, they would be very much appreciated. :)