New Cat Tree

lre17

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi all,
So I just put up the new cat tree (like 30 min ago) and so far the boys don't seem very into it. I gave them a few treats near it and they sniffed it a bit but I sorta thought it would be like x-mas to them and it is more like arbor day... Is this normal? Could it be they are just a bit overwhelmed? (I did have my handyman come to put it together so it was a bit exciting here for a bit). How long does it take for them to warm up to it/what can I do to help them along. Also how long should I leave it in one place before trying it in a new place and see if that makes them like it more?
thanks
lauren

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They most probably want to get used to the sight and smell of it first. You could try putting some catnip on a few of the ledges or a favourite toy. It took mine a couple of days, now they wont stay off it.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
my cat went on it right away, even when my boyfriend was putting it together but now she doesn't really spend time on it when we are home, she will go on the highest bed pad on the tree and sleep but when we are home with her she never goes on it, even thought its very close to the couch. she usually comes to the bed we have on our couch for her.

motylek

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
but I had a similar situation with a cover bed I got for her, it took her a month to go inside. I tried treats and catnip but she would never fully go and one day out of nowhere I am looking around where she is and she was in the bed.

as for the tree, try playing with a toy on a dowel or a string and put it on the cat tree. thats how I play with her so she has to jump up on the tree and then down.