New cat too relaxed

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I just welcomed our fourth cat a few nights ago - an impulse adoption, but that's how we roll. :-)

She was doing so well today that we decided to introduce her to two of our cats - the third (that I've posted about here) is so aggressive that we keep her apart.  Anyway, the new cat is now asleep on the couch and the other two hissed and growled a few times and retreated to the other couch to sleep as well.  No fights, nothing major.

So....is this normal?  Our third cat has been with us six months and is still not integrated, so maybe we've had bad experiences, but what's with these three apparently accepting each other fairly quickly and her making herself at home so quickly?  Could she be sick?  She is FIV and FeLV negative and has had her FVCRP.  I was initially worried about cat flu, but she's not showing any symptoms except what I consider lethargy....although that could be normal for her.  Her age was mostly illegible on her info sheet at the shelter but we were told she was 1, even though it looked like another digit written after the 1.  So maybe she's older than we were told?  She *feels* old, but maybe just skinny.  She looks very healthy, she's just sleeping, which is just....odd to me.

We'd take her to the vet Monday but she was rescued from the shelter three weeks ago and spayed about a week and a half ago so I'd assume anything bad would have popped up by now.

jenwales

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You should take her to the vet anyway...care for a senior kitty is much different than that for a young cat.  Take her to see what you'll be working with.

Anyway...I have 5 cats and with the exception of a couple of hours of hissing none of them have had issues integrating into the family.  They each seem to have lived here forever after a day or two at most.  You probably just got lucky with this one and number 3 is naturally a cranky loner.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sometimes you just get lucky and things click immediately.  I would've had her checked by a vet BEFORE I introduced her to the current tenants, though.  But, that is just me.  I would be more concerned about the one that you've had for 6 months that has not been accepted by the others just yet.  That seems a bit long.  But, I have heard of cats not getting along and just peacefully avoiding eachother while living under the same roof.  Yay for you!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lovely2011

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We typically don't do vet visits pre-introduction depending on where we get the cat from.  She literally just saw the vet last week for a spay weeks after she'd left the shelter, so I doubt there's anything that could have popped up since.  She definitely hasn't gotten close enough to them that I'm worried about them spreading anything, either, no sharing food or litter pan. 

Anyway, the aggressive one has abuse issues that we're working through.  Mostly likely she'll end up being isolated from other cats the rest of her life though.  Sad, but better than the alternative.  And since she's slightly people-aggressive as well, I doubt anyone who doesn't already have cats would take her.

I guess I'm just weirded out since the last introduction didn't go so well.  Or she really is in her teens, but her teeth look a little too good for that...plus she wasn't spayed before.

p3 and the king

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I agree with you that it's better than the alternative for your poor former abuse victim kitty.  As long as she has a chance to have a good life, I am all for that.  You're right, it's an uphill battle and she may never really get over it.  But, I think, with time she will come around.  It could take years.  But, as long as you never give up on her.  And as long as she doesn't harm any of the others, it'll be OK.  The poor thing. 

Yay for you that you have a quick acceptance with the new one, though.  That is good!!  Best of luck with all your furries!!