New Cat = The Joke's on Me?

wolkenkaiser

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I picked up a cat yesterday, from a guy on Craigslist who had to get rid of her because she wasn't getting along with his other cat. He described her as a pretty mellow cat who isn't a climber or an attention *****, which is perfect for me because I tend to insist on low-maintenance relationships.

She's under my futon now, and we're talking about one of those chairs that turns into a Spartan's posh one-man bed. Meaning she has a hole maybe a little over four inches wide to squirm through to get beneath it. I hope she's not hurting herself hiding, but she won't accept the hiding spot I made for her out of a milk crate, a pillow, and a t-shirt, sequestered behind my rattan papasan in the corner of the bedroom.

She displays some redirected aggression, hissing at me when I try to let smell my fingers — which incidentally I do without any sudden motions; I've lived with over twenty cats — and even once swatting at me and once looking like she was about to, and in a somewhat more aggressive than merely cringingly defensive way. She hasn't destroyed anything, except a roll of toilet paper, but she was yowling a little bit early this morning; so her bad behavior is limited to a fearful response to her new place.

I guess. I must have lucked out, or perhaps I'm not remembering my childhood accurately; but, most of the cats I've taken in haven't done more than hide beneath my blanket or in my closet for a while, but would let me pet them and act social toward me. This cat looks and acts very similar to a Bengal an old neighbor of mine had (who bought it to bolster his flagging manhood — jerk!), which is causing me to wonder if I'll ever have a companion or I'm a posh squat for a freeloading opportunistic organism.

She's a little over a year-and-a-half old, and I heard that she's been bounced around a bit. Okay, that could traumatize a cat; but she also could have been passed around from person to person because she's just not that great a domestic pet, too. I love cats, don't get me wrong, but I view them as what they are; I don't romanticize them or immediately assume they're innocent Victims of Society (who in hell isn't one?).

I just want a fun, sharp, loving pet. I'm feeling like the joke's on me, again.

anamoes

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Well I think it helps to put yourself in the cat's perspective. You are suddenly picked up and teleported to a whole new house, full of new smells and everything seem to be so weird! I would try to hide myself in the smallest spot possible too!

I don't know if there is any chance you can capture the cat and put it back in the carrier again, but the best way to introduce an adult cat to a new home is to put it in a small room with soft lighting – I usually put the cat in the bathroom with a night light. Leave the cat alone so she can explore her new "house", which for now is a very small space to explore anyways. That's going to make her feel more comfortable as she will feel like she has the control over the bathroom.

Make sure she has a spot to hide and there is nothing that can be harmful. Also try to place her food and water as far as you can from the litter box.this can take as much as it takes. It could be a few hours or it could be a few weeks. While she is getting more acquainted with her new room, sit on the floor and talk softly to her. Offer her treats. Maybe play with her with a laser pointer or a wand toy.

Once she is more comfortable with the room and with you, you can leave the bathroom door open and let her come out and explore whenever she wants. Make sure that you leave her food and water in the bathroom.

After that, you can slowly move away the litter and food to the places you want them to be. A few inches a day.

She lived in a house before so she is not feral. She just needs some time to adjust.

Good luck catching her now, though. Be careful not to be scratched or bitten. If you do manage to put her in the carrier (don't try to hold her in your lap, it's going to be worse for both of you if you do) just let the carrier sit in the bathroom with the door open so she can decide herself when to come out from the carrier.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Some of my best lap buddies started out like yours, many much worse. It takes at LEAST a week for a cat to get comfortable, and if there are other cats in the house, 6 months or more.One of my favorite cats was hidden from my view for a month, the only way I knew she was there is the food disappeared and the litterbox was used.  You can't force things at all, just talk softly and sit in the same room. Offer yummy treats and toys, let her come to you. She'll learn to trust you eventually, but for now hissing and swatting are perfectly normal reactions and once she gets to know she can trust you, these will be replaced with purrs and rubs!  All the luck!