New Cat Super Sad.

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, this is my first post, I have been a lurker for a while though. I will give as many details as I can in regards to my Odie and I hope you all could graciously provide sound advice. Odie is a 13 month old neutered North American shorthair brown tabby and he was given to me by his previous owner as she had to move and her new place does not allow pets. He was one of three other cats that were given away. The other two cats were outdoor cats so they were taken in by a family that lives on an acreage as they were mousers etc, whereas Odie was/is strictly an indoor cat. I have had Odie for six weeks now and I understand that it could take some time for him to come around. I noticed that he is grooming excessively and now has a small bald spot on his front right leg. I am starting to wonder if he is lonely as he did see the other two cats when they would come in to eat and whatnot in his previous home. I do have room for another cat but I don't want to jump the gun because that may not even be the issue. I took him to the vets over three weeks ago and he was deemed quite healthy. He eats a half / half diet of Natures Variety Instinct kibble and Weruva canned food and he does look bright eyed with a shiny coat except for the bald leg spot.

I really hope that any of you could come up with some suggestions. He is generally very sweet and has taken to his new surroundings quite well however he has some mopey days as well. He doesn't seem interested in any of the toys that are here except for the laser on occasion and a catnip filled mouse. He is loved and adored by everyone in the house which is why our hearts ache for him here.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

You could try a Feliway diffuser or ask your vet for a stronger anti-anxiety, like kitty Prozac. Do you have cat trees and scratchers for him to climb? Something that I've found keeps my Charlie very entertained is putting a bird feeder outside his favorite window, so that he can watch the birds and squirrels. It's like cat TV! The best way to keep a cat entertained, though, is to get them a playmate. With the correct introduction protocol, cats can become best friends and play with, snuggle, and groom each other. :catrub:

FriendOfTheCatBoys

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should probably take him back to the vet just in case. A lot can happen in three weeks.
Is he eating the same food that his previous owner provided for him or is that stuff new to him? An abrupt change in diet could be a contributing factor. Keep in mind that he still is adjusting, not just to a new environment but to you and his loss of feline companionship. I would consult with the vet to rule out any urgent physical causes to what he is going through, and provided there are none, you should give some serious thought if there is room in your life for another cat; physical space, financially, and emotionally. If that is the route you go down, there are a lot of good resources on this site about how to introduce cats to one another.

My best guess is that it's a combination of adjusting to you and his loss of his cat buddies. Good luck to you and the little guy.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You should probably take him back to the vet just in case. A lot can happen in three weeks.
Is he eating the same food that his previous owner provided for him or is that stuff new to him? An abrupt change in diet could be a contributing factor. Keep in mind that he still is adjusting, not just to a new environment but to you and his loss of feline companionship. I would consult with the vet to rule out any urgent physical causes to what he is going through, and provided there are none, you should give some serious thought if there is room in your life for another cat; physical space, financially, and emotionally. If that is the route you go down, there are a lot of good resources on this site about how to introduce cats to one another.

My best guess is that it's a combination of adjusting to you and his loss of his cat buddies. Good luck to you and the little guy.
Hi, I will be calling the vet in the morning.

He is eating different food, he was on Whiskas kibble previously. I did the gradual change in food when I did change the kibble over.

I could certainly take in another cat, but I don't want to do that just yet. I would like to rule everything that I can out for Odie first. I also don't want to add to his stress right now. That's something that I would consider a few months down the road. I have plenty of room for another fur baby and I could handle it financially and everything else that goes along with it.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers that Odie gets a "thumbs up" at his vet check. In addition to missing his former kitty siblings, he may be grieving the loss of his old owner. It cant hurt to explain to him the details; he may not understand the words but he will understand the feelings. I have had experience with rescuing 2 lost, elderly cats (different years, different cities) that were similar; they both responded well to my telling them over & over that I knew they missed their old home and that they must have been a beautiful kitten, that I was continuing to locate their old family but until then, they were safe and loved and had a home with me for as long as they needed. You could also check out what Jackson Galaxy recommends; it sounds like Odie is really stressed. Perhaps he is picking up a worrisome scent - is there the scent of a dog in the home?

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to TCS!

You could try a Feliway diffuser or ask your vet for a stronger anti-anxiety, like kitty Prozac. Do you have cat trees and scratchers for him to climb? Something that I've found keeps my Charlie very entertained is putting a bird feeder outside his favorite window, so that he can watch the birds and squirrels. It's like cat TV! The best way to keep a cat entertained, though, is to get them a playmate. With the correct introduction protocol, cats can become best friends and play with, snuggle, and groom each other. :catrub:
Hi, I have considered the Feliway diffuser. I think I may just pick one up tomorrow.

He has four scratching posts but no cat tree yet. I have placed an order for one online actually and I'm expecting to have it delivered around the 6th of June.

I can certainly understand that he might love to have a playmate around but I would like to make sure that everything else is ruled out before I go down that route. I am concerned about adding to his stress ☹.

I will take your bird feeder idea and put it into action this weekend. I have a great spot for the feeder and it's always nice to listen to them chirp.

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Prayers that Odie gets a "thumbs up" at his vet check. In addition to missing his former kitty siblings, he may be grieving the loss of his old owner. It cant hurt to explain to him the details; he may not understand the words but he will understand the feelings. I have had experience with rescuing 2 lost, elderly cats (different years, different cities) that were similar; they both responded well to my telling them over & over that I knew they missed their old home and that they must have been a beautiful kitten, that I was continuing to locate their old family but until then, they were safe and loved and had a home with me for as long as they needed. You could also check out what Jackson Galaxy recommends; it sounds like Odie is really stressed. Perhaps he is picking up a worrisome scent - is there the scent of a dog in the home?
Thank you! I am praying for good news too . I know it sounds strange but I talk to him in baby talk, my two teens think I'm out of my mind sometimes! I may sit down and tell him his story and that we love him just as much as he was always loved. Like you mentioned he may not understand the words but maybe, just maybe my feelings will get through. There is no dog here, we had another cat but she crossed over to the rainbow bridge three years ago, could that be triggering his upset?

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also forgot to mention that he does show affection to me by sitting on my lap and making biscuits so that makes me hopeful. He's snoozing on my lap as we speak.

5starcathotel

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Oh my, what a pretty kitty!

I wouldn't even think about adding playmate at this point, as I think you are correct to be worried about his stress, and that adding a stranger to his world would only make it worse.

Quick question: Did any of his "stuff" (bed, posts, litter box, etc) move with him?

I love that he has begun sitting on your lap making biscuits, and snoozing. That is a very hopeful sign that he is acclimating to his new environment. I really believe this means that this means, ultimately, he will be fine.

The only part that maybe concerns me is his reaction to toys. Try to work the laser pointer more, since he's shown interest in that. Try to amp up his excitement level as much as possible. For other toys, remember to mimic the behavior of prey (or kittens). Let the toy land behind/under/inside hiding places, that kitty can pounce on. Then let it fly away and surprise him. Move it in random, erratic, intermittent movements.

He might appreciate a new feline playmate..but ideally he needs to be settled first. So give it between 3 to 6 months, and see how he as settled in, before you decide to add a new kitty.

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh my, what a pretty kitty!

I wouldn't even think about adding playmate at this point, as I think you are correct to be worried about his stress, and that adding a stranger to his world would only make it worse.

Quick question: Did any of his "stuff" (bed, posts, litter box, etc) move with him?

I love that he has begun sitting on your lap making biscuits, and snoozing. That is a very hopeful sign that he is acclimating to his new environment. I really believe this means that this means, ultimately, he will be fine.

The only part that maybe concerns me is his reaction to toys. Try to work the laser pointer more, since he's shown interest in that. Try to amp up his excitement level as much as possible. For other toys, remember to mimic the behavior of prey (or kittens). Let the toy land behind/under/inside hiding places, that kitty can pounce on. Then let it fly away and surprise him. Move it in random, erratic, intermittent movements.

He might appreciate a new feline playmate..but ideally he needs to be settled first. So give it between 3 to 6 months, and see how he as settled in, before you decide to add a new kitty.
His bed, toys and one scratching post moved with him but interestingly he has no interest in any of it now. He prefers to snooze on a folded up throw on the sofa.

I caught his interest with string of all things. He chased it for over an hour last night. I'll bring the laser out later and see if any of your ideas pique his interest.

Last edited:

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forum! Which Weruva canned food is he eating, is it the one with a lot of fish in it? Just wondering, since I can't give my cats too much fish.

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Welcome to the forum! Which Weruva canned food is he eating, is it the one with a lot of fish in it? Just wondering, since I can't give my cats too much fish.
Thank you, I am so happy to be here!

As for which Weruva food he is eating, it is the paw licking chicken. I haven't fed him any fish based foods since he has been with us.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did he get a monthly topical flea treatment and de-wormed at the vet? That's all the ideas I can think of for now.

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Did he get a monthly topical flea treatment and de-wormed at the vet? That's all the ideas I can think of for now.
He sure did. His last treatment was on Monday actually.

Odie's Mommy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, the vet check came back clean. It appears that he scratched the spot somehow. It was flushed and I have been asked to keep an eye on it.