New Cat Still Skittish

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a 2 year old male two weeks ago. He was very freaked out the first two nights, but once he took up under our bed and we confined him to the room, he started to improve. He now eats twice daily, uses the litter box and at night when we go to bed he leaves to explore the rest of the apartment and usually spends it in the living room.

My concern is that he’s still spending most of his time under the bed once we get home. We’ve finally gotten him to respond to toys (feather wand) but he will come no where near us and bolts if you make sudden movements. We’ve even gotten him to eat some treats, but only after you put it down in front of him and walk away.

So really I’m worried that he’s not acclimating to US very well. We go to the bedroom a few times in the evening to say hi (laying down on the floor next to him) and play a bit. But sometimes he’ll back away from our touch. And then some afternoons he comes into the living room while we’re watching tv and just stares at us for 10 min, then leaves.

Is there anything else we could be doing to make him like us? I always read entice him with toys and treats, but we do that daily and haven’t seen improvement in a few days. I don’t mind if it takes him a while to let us pet him or physically touch him. I just want him to at least feel comfortable in the same room with us.

We have a feliway diffuser in the bedroom where he spends most of his time, and I use the spray on his tree and other furniture. I’m just wondering if there’s any other tricks out there that we could be doing to make him feel more comfortable around us. He was described as shy after being found on the streets but he was in a foster home with many cats and was said to be friendly after 2 months.

Anything we could be doing different?

petcrazy76

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It's not unusual for you to not even see your new cat for a couple days or weeks. Some hide so well that you can only tell when their food disappears.

The best way to get cats used to you in my experience is to do something in the room they are in and ignore them. Sit on the floor of the bedroom and read a book. Be there but don't make him the center of attention. When he comes out to explore while you are there don't make a big deal. Maybe a quiet hi to him but don't reach to pet him. Let him check you out and see you're not threatening. After he's approached you for a little bit then you can try slowly try reaching out and let him sniff your hand but don't pet him. When he's ok then try touching him. And this may take days or weeks. But usually once they get to the point you can touch them they'll warm up pretty quick. It just can take a little bit to get there.

If he only sees you running around the house he can't get a good close up inspection. I've had Angel 8 years and she is still scared when my huaband walks but adores him when he's sitting or laying down.

And if he was more comfortable in the bedroom, maybe keep him confined there a little longer while he gets used to you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kazbo93

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The best way to get cats used to you in my experience is to do something in the room they are in and ignore them. Sit on the floor of the bedroom and read a book. Be there but don't make him the center of attention.
Thanks for this! We haven’t tried ignoring him but maybe that’s what we need to try. Usually we go into the room and lay beside the bed but we can try out just leaving him alone till he seeks us out