New cat sorta

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just read how to come on as a newbie even tho I came in before regarding my new one biting me. Got great advice and to my absolute delight it worked.

meant to update my profile and all but life sidetracked me

want to ask a new question there is a stray I feed I love him Long story and sad

anyway he has always meowed at me but suddenly he has something wrong It doesn’t sound right Like he has laryngitis or someone choked him? My neighbor said when he was a kitten he got run over
She thought he was dead but somehow he survived He has always been a stray

anyway I’m just worried about his meow

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. There is really no way to know for sure. This could be related to an upper respiratory issue because he has one of the feline viruses common to strays/ferals - some of which tend to prompt viral flare ups, with various symptoms. If this little guy is eating and drinking OK, the flare up might resolve itself. I have heard of members on this site giving cats either L-lysine or DMG for immune support - that might be something for you to consider to help reduce flare ups, if that is what is going on. If he will eat canned food, that might be more soothing to his throat as opposed to dry food.

If he becomes sicker - coughing, eye discharge, lethargy as a few examples of symptoms - or, not eating/drinking, he really should then be seen by a vet. Viral infections can lead to secondary bacterial infections which need to be treated with antibiotics.

Are you considering taking this guy to a vet for a checkup, neutering (if applicable), and testing for viral conditions, as well as getting vaccinations?

Punxpunx

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apart from the obvious (getting him to a vet), watch his behavior over the next couple of days. He may have caught a virus or smthng.. monitor his appetite etc.

My cat lost her voice one time too, started out meowing weirdly hoarsely then complete loss of voice after a few days. It lasted like 3 weeks or so! Vet said it was not a huge thing as long as she kept eating and moving normally. Hopefully its just something like that...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Natalie Cataline

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi. There is really no way to know for sure. This could be related to an upper respiratory issue because he has one of the feline viruses common to strays/ferals - some of which tend to prompt viral flare ups, with various symptoms. If this little guy is eating and drinking OK, the flare up might resolve itself. I have heard of members on this site giving cats either L-lysine or DMG for immune support - that might be something for you to consider to help reduce flare ups, if that is what is going on. If he will eat canned food, that might be more soothing to his throat as opposed to dry food.

If he becomes sicker - coughing, eye discharge, lethargy as a few examples of symptoms - or, not eating/drinking, he really should then be seen by a vet. Viral infections can lead to secondary bacterial infections which need to be treated with antibiotics.

Are you considering taking this guy to a vet for a checkup, neutering (if applicable), and testing for viral conditions, as well as getting vaccinations?
I would dearly love to get him but we have one cat and my husband is against another although he doesn’t mind my feeding him As I’ve heard said “he just chose me” I was unloading groceries and happened to see him sitting in front yard just looking so sweetly at me, it was love at first sight

asked if he wanted food and it looked like he did so I got him some ever since

so far he’s eating good 3 times a day And he always meows thank you Gotta persuade my husband if he gets worse Pray I can Thank you
Apart from the obvious (getting him to a vet), watch his behavior over the next couple of days. He may have caught a virus or smthng.. monitor his appetite etc.

My cat lost her voice one time too, started out meowing weirdly hoarsely then complete loss of voice after a few days. It lasted like 3 weeks or so! Vet said it was not a huge thing as long as she kept eating and moving normally. Hopefully its just something like that...
oh how I hope that’s it Thank you no worries on my watching him and he is eating well and does move normal