New cat. Should they get used to new life before vet

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
That's it.... :) he's in my bathroom getting settled but concerned with throwing him back in carrier..in car ..to new place abd THEN examined!!

He's been tested and has shots from shelter... So he's ok in that respect

What are the opinions on when to take hin to vet. Thanks!!

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I usually get them to the vet before integrating into the house. I call and schedule a new cat exam for whenever the vet is available, hopefully within 2 weeks of coming home.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Sorry... I have another cat who could care less and a small pit.

Thanks

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually get them to the vet before integrating into the house. I call and schedule a new cat exam for whenever the vet is available, hopefully within 2 weeks of coming home.
So while on bathroom ok to give him time.. but before letting him into house? I was going to keep him in a big dog playpen next.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I try to leave them isolated for 2 weeks and within that time get them to the vet to be cleared to be with others. During that time, you can bond with the kitty, it can learn your voice and smell, and you can monitor its eating and litter box. Many times, kitties in new environments will develop an upper respiratory infection from the stress of being in a new environment about 10 days in their new home. This is common, but it doesn't happen to every kitty. I start my kitties off in a very large dog crate for the first few days inside the isolation room just to make sure they don't go into hiding and to make sure they're eating and using the box, then after a couple of days, I leave the door of the crate open so they can explore the room, but still have a "safe space" if they don't find another one in the room. This is a good article for introducing cats and also there's tons of information in the Cat Behavior forum

Introducing Cats To Cats: The Expert's Guide To A Smooth Transition - TheCatSite

Kris107

Cat mom, cat foster mom
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Since you have other pets, a trip to the vet sooner than later is best. Generally, most cats aren't fans of trips to the vet so I don't think waiting does anything except delay. And for the health of your other pets it's good to get the new one checked out.

m935

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He already let me clip his nails. Not even 24 hours.

So... There's no need to worry about crating him so soon into car to vet. Had vet appoinment tomorrow but canceled so he cpuld relax...

Last edited:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Where did you get him? Has he been tested for FIV and Feline Leukemia?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Was he negative for FIV/FeLV? If he wasn't tested, then you'll want to have him tested before you integrate him into your home.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Because letting him acclimate isn't going to make the vet trip any easier, I would just get it done with already. Then you can all relax without this hanging over your head.

If you intend insure him, I definitely recommend getting that first vet appointment out of the way before anything can turn up and taint his file with a pre-existing condition. I thought I was doing everything right getting my newly adopted Betty into the first vet appointment I could get her (about a week after bringing her home.) The appointment was on a Saturday and by Monday I had her signed up for insurance. Sadly, a little more than two weeks later, she would be in the ER for a hairball that ripped her up all day and ended in pink spits. I must have mentioned something to the intake nurse about her vomiting at home the week before. That note got into her file and an adjuster did some backwards-looking math and determined that it happened within her new policy waiting period. Anything vomiting-related including her eventual IBD diagnosis was excluded from her policy as a pre-existing condition. Even with such a large exclusion, we've managed to receive more from insurance in reimbursements than they will receive from us in premiums.