New Cat/resident Cat Getting Along Better But.......

DawsonsMom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Back in August, I posted in the forum about the difficulties we were having with our new cat, Stevie (10 month female tabby we got in July), and our resident cat, Dawson (5 yr tortie)

Since then, things have gotten better! We have taken down the baby gates and Stevie actually leaves "her room" to explore the rest of the house. We got her to this point by putting Dawson in her own rooms for the night from time to time and hoping Stevie would take advantage of the fact that she wasn't around to bother her. We wanted her to see what she was missing by staying in her space. So now, Stevie loves running around and has decided on the master bedroom as her new space to hang out in when she isn't in her room.

The girls can co-exist in the same room for the most part, but Stevie is always on guard and carefully watching Dawson to see what she is doing. And then inevitably, Dawson will get too close and all hell breaks loose with Stevie hissing and growling. Or even worse, Dawson will lay there all relaxed and on her back and look like she's snoozing and Stevie thinks she's safe and then Dawson suddenly materializes where ever she wants to go and chases her back. Or Stevie just attacks Dawson when she is just sitting there. It’s made Stevie want to spend more time back under the chair which is where she used to hang out all the time and which I hate for her. It's hard to say that one, or the other, is the bigger aggressor.

The main problem now is that Dawson spends a lot of time blocking the door to Stevie's room so she won't leave, or blocks her in the master bedroom when she's there. Or she sits in a chair in Stevie’s room right by the cat tree where Stevie is and I think it’s to intimidate her. This typically ends up into a spat, lots of noise and fur flying or a chase but no bloodshed or real physical fighting.

We try to redirect Dawson when this happens and it works for a minute but she always finds her way back. Or she gets tired of the waiting and leaves.

Any ideas on how we can work to limit this behavior on both sides? Things are so much better since July, and part of me feels it will just take time but if there is any way we can influence it, I definitely want to do that. FYI, we have had Feliway in the house since we got Stevie and I don't think it works, I was doing some research on other remedies because I thought that might lower the anxiety level and am open to suggestions there as well.

I know everyone loves pics so here are our girls

Thank you!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
What sweethearts! Can you try more focused play to redirect your kitty from blocking the other? Or even a hiss when she's doing that.
Also try music to help calm your kitties :)

heaab19si

Meowla Hooch
Kitten
Purraise
It could be resource access? I had a similar problem with a new cat laying in front of the 'favorite' litterbox (four cats total) and also semi-blocking a certain area at times. I spread out the litterboxes a little further apart and added water bowls to different rooms. I dont free-feed, but if I did I'd definitely spread out the food stations as well.

If they're free-fed, maybe add more feeding stations to new areas?

Rearrange/add litterboxes and add water bowls to new areas?

Maybe give Dawson some periodic alone time in the master room and Stevie's room?

Lastly, not sure about this one, but maybe create a temporary second exit to the room(s) somehow?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Awww... beautiful girls. :catlove:

I don't have any suggestions, but I did want to mention that there are 2 types of Feliway, and some people have better results with one than the other. So maybe check out the reviews online and see if it would be worth trying the other one.

There's also calming treats and collars, but I've never used either, so can't offer an opinion on them.

Notacrazycatlady

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure it would work, but I've had success with 'time-outs.' When Angus misbehaves in some way, I warn him or distract him and if he goes right back to what I don't want him doing, I shut him in the bathroom for a few minutes. It sometimes takes a couple of visits to the bathroom, but he eventually understands that he needs to find something else to do.

That's something you could use regardless of which one was being the brat, although as long as there's no fur flying or blood being spilled, it might be better to give them some space to sort it out--I'm obviously not seeing what you are so that decision is best left in your hands.