New cat refuses to interact with us

toothless

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My partner and I just adopted a one year old kitten. At his foster home he lived with two other cats for a while, and when the shelter transported him they drove him ~12 hours to get here. We’ve had him for about two weeks now. He definitely seems like he’s adjusting to the environment: we started him off in our bathroom and then opened him up to our bedroom. He has a litter box, scratching post, food bowl, and water bowl in here. At night he comes out and explores the room and then he eats and uses his litter box. Sometimes he comes out while we’re sitting in bed in the evening and he’ll watch us from afar.

The problem is: while he has adjusted to the environment he doesn’t seem to be adjusting to us. We’ve tried sitting with him for chunks of the day so he gets used to us, talking to him, luring him with toys and treats. Other than when he watches us from across the room at night, we can’t get him to interact with us. He immediately runs away when we get near him and if we try to coax him out from under the bed (his hiding spot throughout the day) he moves to the other end of the bed away from where we are. I’m at a bit of a loss as to what to try.

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know this sounds like the opposite of what you want but just for now I would not try and go near him. I would go about my normal routine and just ignore him. Hopefully he'll realise that the new people in his life aren't going to try to pet him and will start to come out more and more. Once he's comfortable with you walking past him and not running then I'd try with throwing treats near him as time goes by they can be thrown nearer to you. If he doesn't play with toy's try a rolled up piece of paper most cat's can't resist batting those. My boy's love tiny balls to chase. Two weeks is a short time and you have said he's getting used to his environment be patient and he might just surprise you by coming to you. Slow and steady don't overload him, and he'll come round.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Having no idea what his first year of life has been like and the trauma that may or may not have been involved, I think he is doing pretty well. It seems pretty common for cats to check out their new caretakers while they are inactive (like in bed), and it is a sign of progress by him doing that.

I wouldn't exactly ignore him, per se. But any form of interaction has to be non-threatening and calm. Getting down on the floor, close to the bed - but not directly next to it, and softly reading a book out loud is a good way to get him used to your presence - on his level. Keeping treats between you and the bed - closer to him than you - while you sit there might lure him out some more over time. Maybe there are some other tips in this TCS article for you to consider (see link below). There are also links to related articles embedded inside.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As noted above by FeebysOwner FeebysOwner shy cats usually check out their owners where they are quiet and chill, often the bed. Obviously may not work out for a frisky young couple lol! If the bed isn't going to work out, let him roam the whole house and maybe it will be the couch, if you sit and chill there (watching TV is fine as long as its not something too loud and explody). I recall for two posters it was by the side of the bath, because they took long chill baths.

Once you figure out where its likely to first happen, maybe you can increase the odds a bit with treats (once the cat is ready to eat them if tossed -- sounds like he isn't there yet) Or you could even leave a slice of fresh deli meat by you.

Two weeks isn't crazy long, stay patient, don't do anything to add stress and it will happen.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
It’s great that he’s adjusting to his environment and feeling comfortable with his surroundings. You’re going to have to have patience and let him take that next step in his own time.

I learned when I was trying to socialize Mocha that I couldn’t reach out to her; that would startle her and make her skitter away. I couldn’t coax her out from the closet where I’d created a place for her to feel safe. So I just spent a lot of time sitting on the floor near her and reading aloud quietly, as others have suggested.

When she’d come out, as she eventually did, I’d hold my hand out still (palm down, fingers bent downward) until she’d finally approach to sniff. Then one day she rubbed carefully along my fingers. It still took weeks before she was comfortable with me carefully petting her. I had to use the back of my hand and just go gently down her side (all the time sitting in the floor).

Today, four and a half years later, I can hardly keep her out of my lap, but it really did take months before she was comfortable with us. Just be patient with your little guy. He’s had a huge change in his life and just needs a little time.

Ragdolldadnyc

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was thinking there may be a way to utilize meal time. This idea needs refinement though. Assuming he likes wet over dry why not go to timed meals with wet. bring food place it down stay in room but at a distance. If he stays hidden leave for 10 min then come back and remove bowl (gradually cut the 10 min down)

Eventually he ll start coming out for meals and you can build from there. You can make the meals extra special with toppers during this period. Smelly stuff.

Basically trying to build in his mind: you = good and smelly things but there is a time limit and I need to push my fear line. Of course ensuring he gets enough to eat you can adjust plan based on the situation.

Another factor, considering his lack of activity the calories offered should be considered.