New cat randomly snaps at us...scratches, hisses

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
So, we adopted this cat (name is pending). She seems like a very affectionate cat...likes to be with me so if I go in another room, she will soon be there, too. Cat introductions seemed to go ok. Mandy had her tail in a knot the first day. Patti (she was a trap/release) just can't get over it and still growls (which she's gotten over in the past). Last night, new cat jumped on the bed and wanted to lay at my side in the bend of my arm. She even rolled on her back with all fours up! She's a lap cat and spent a good deal of time on my legs when I opened the foot part of the recliner. She stretched out, neck pointed up...and she slumbered. She seems exhausted. When my son came home, she greeted him at the door (he is 17). Crazy thing is that this cat will randomly..and out of nowhere ..turn on you. It's bizarre. And she will make that cat scream/his when she's batting at you or gouging your eyeballs out. It's strange and it doesn't matter the situation. Even when the other two aren't around, she will snap. It's almost like we don't dare touch her. It's odd how she can just want to be loved (head rubs are a huge love for her), will head butt you for attention, and then turn on you. Should I be worried about this? Could this just be new-environment anxiety? She has not hidden at all. She walks around confidently completely making herself at home. Right now, she is sleeping at my feet on the electric blanket. She nailed my husband on the face earlier...scratched him...but he also picked her up. I haven't had an issue picking her up. I've picked her up to put her on the bed and are stays right there with me. Really, it's not one issue or the other that I see. It's completely random and unpredictable.
Thoughts?

thx!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I take it this is an adult cat with a past home/history. That being the case you don't know what her life was like before and/or how she was treated. There could be motions and hand/body movements that trigger her based on her past - and, perhaps there was some issues specifically with men as well. On top of that, it sounds like you have not had her too long, so she is still likely adjusting to her new environment. It also sounds like things are not quite normalized between all the cats. The latter issue could be from rushing through the introduction process. How long have you had this new cat?

I would be watching your new cat - and how you move - very closely and see if you can pick up on a pattern. For instance, some cats will react badly if they are touched without being aware they are going to be touched. In those cases, the cat has to be able to see and maybe even smell your hand before being touched without reacting to it. It could also be a matter of her not yet being comfortable if she is not the one initiating contact.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

carrie640

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We narrowed it down. It seems to be more "invasive" touches. She was all stretched out in one of my arms and I moved my hand...and she nailed me (my hand was at her hind foot). When she nailed my husband, he had picked her up and her head was close to his...so, it seems it maybe a space issue. She is not afraid to walk around or anything like that...she is not hiding. She follows me around and greets whomever comes through the door. She's an absolute doll.
I was cleaning out my craft room when she came in today. She jumped in my chair to hang out on so I folded a blanket on it for her. She kneaded for a long time and then I noticed she had the blanket in her mouth while kneading. I've never seen that before. Any idea why? I'm just curious.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She kneaded for a long time and then I noticed she had the blanket in her mouth while kneading. I've never seen that before. Any idea why? I'm just curious.
She is suckling the blanket. Some cats do this when they are very content, just like the kneading. Some grow out of it and others don't. It typically starts in kittenhood. It could also tie back to her past, as some cats who were insecure get into the habit just because they once did it to make themselves feel more secure. i wouldn't worry about this at all, unless she would start eating it - which probably won't happen but something to watch for just to be sure.

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We narrowed it down. It seems to be more "invasive" touches. . . . I've never seen that before. Any idea why? I'm just curious.
When I adopted a stray we found outside, I had to mostly pet her head and shoulders, and do it just so. I was literally unable to do it right while looking at the tv. Any "error" and I would get swatted with nails. The cat ultimately became just a normal very affectionate cat in all respects, and I was able to pet normally, but it took quite a while.

I can't totally explain it, but maybe its analogous to how people are. After all, you meet someone of the opposite sex, hit it off and exchange a few kisses . . . that doesn't mean you get to touch everywhere. LOL, but it makes sense. Some anyway. You aren't completely trusted in all respects by the cat yet.

As for picking the cat up, that is maybe a different more normal thing. Some cats just don't like it. My 13 pound love bug still chirps at me if I pick him up, and when he was young he used to bite a bit to show displeasure. Weirdly, he tolerates my son doing it. I've tried to study son's method, but no dice, so I just don't pick him up.

Ella Spell

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My youngest kitties Macbeth and Hester both suck sherpa blankets while they knead.
It's so bad that the blankets end up drenched.
They do it on my personal (human) sherpa on my bed and it gets so wet I can't use it.

They both turn 1 in April.

My dog used to do it with the raised edge of his dog bed.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She is still nervous about being in a new environment. Cats WILL NOT show this. It is instinct to not show any signs of injury, illness, or fear. She may seem relaxed, but really, she isn't. The scratching and biting will more than likely disappear as she gets used to the household dynamics. The other cat in the house may be heightening her fear too. Hissing, growling, and slapping are all normal in the beginning. She also may have hyperesthesia, a very heightened sense of touch. Females are especially prone to this. My little girl would allow exactly 3 strokes and then would attack. It takes you a while to learn what the limit is. There are telltale signs, watch to see while stroking if her tail starts whipping, she may growl, and their pupils dilate right before an attack. Everything else sounds really good for a new cat, usually, they hide under a bed for weeks and don't want to be touched at all. i would just let her dictate when she wants to be petted/stroked, don't force her into doing anything, try to avoid picking her up, and encourage her to jump on your lap. i really think as she gets used to everything and it becomes routine she will be fine after she gets over this initial nervousness which is NOT being displayed. Bless you for taking her in.......

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
My Daisy-cat did this for a good year after we adopted her. She liked people, but wasn't completely trusting of us. She was easily overstimulated and we had to learn her limits. Time, patience, learning your new kitty's limits will help. Proceed at your new kitty's pace and don't force anything on the kitty s/he's not comfortable with.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
So, we adopted this cat (name is pending). She seems like a very affectionate cat...likes to be with me so if I go in another room, she will soon be there, too. Cat introductions seemed to go ok. Mandy had her tail in a knot the first day. Patti (she was a trap/release) just can't get over it and still growls (which she's gotten over in the past). Last night, new cat jumped on the bed and wanted to lay at my side in the bend of my arm. She even rolled on her back with all fours up! She's a lap cat and spent a good deal of time on my legs when I opened the foot part of the recliner. She stretched out, neck pointed up...and she slumbered. She seems exhausted. When my son came home, she greeted him at the door (he is 17). Crazy thing is that this cat will randomly..and out of nowhere ..turn on you. It's bizarre. And she will make that cat scream/his when she's batting at you or gouging your eyeballs out. It's strange and it doesn't matter the situation. Even when the other two aren't around, she will snap. It's almost like we don't dare touch her. It's odd how she can just want to be loved (head rubs are a huge love for her), will head butt you for attention, and then turn on you. Should I be worried about this? Could this just be new-environment anxiety? She has not hidden at all. She walks around confidently completely making herself at home. Right now, she is sleeping at my feet on the electric blanket. She nailed my husband on the face earlier...scratched him...but he also picked her up. I haven't had an issue picking her up. I've picked her up to put her on the bed and are stays right there with me. Really, it's not one issue or the other that I see. It's completely random and unpredictable.
Thoughts?

thx!
My cat Peaches,now 11,has been like that since she was a kitten. Plays when she wants to play,does not always want to be touched,and if she sees my arm moving she will grab for it. Happens when I am sitting on the floor or using the restroom