New cat, quite a few issues

hopps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I picked up bear yesterday morning. I got up at 4:30am all that fun stuff. When he got home he used the litter box and hid. The owner said he was a little shy and didnt mdow much. Well I coaxed him out to play for a bit. I then tried to get some skeep in the evening and everything changed.

He started meowing constantly. I went to check on him and he hissed at me. He'll go hide and meow non stop. It's been about 9 hours of him meowing non stop. He's around five to six months old and neutered. He'll hide, meow, walk around my room and meow, rinse and repeat. To be honest with you I didnt sign up for this kind of cat... anyways I have him so I need to find a solution. And make I him not shy.

He used the litterbox when we got home three times.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
He needs time to get to know you and his new environment. He's just frightened. Do you have him confined to one room? This is usually the best at first. Give him places he can hide but are not inaccessible. A simple box with a towel works well. You can put a piece of clothing you have worn and not yet washed in there for him, so he gets used to your scent.

Spend time just talking to him quietly while sitting or laying on the floor. You could even just read a book out loud, this is so he gets used to your voice.  Use wand toys to entice him to play, these allow him to interact with you, yet keep his distance if he wants to. You can also use them to work him closer and closer. Reward with treats. Offer them out with an open hand on the floor. If he doesn't take them from you at first, put them down at a distance.

Play soft music when you aren't around. Feliway diffusers can help alot with calming him. When talking to him use the slow blink, as if saying I..love..you..

He will learn to trust you, you just need to give him time and be willing to let him make the moves when he's ready. When he seems ready you can let him explore the rest of the house.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I second what KatLuver has said. Also, did you have an opportunity to interact with Bear before he came to live with you? How long had he lived in the previous home? Were there other cats in the home?

It can take days, weeks or even months for a cat to adapt to a new home depending on upbringing, personality and whether they have experienced any previous trauma. Also, some shy cats that have been raised with other cats do MUCH better with another cat in the house. It gives them a "role model" to follow when experiencing new social situations.

I suspect that you will see some progress in Bear over the next week, and more the following week.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Give him time to adjust.  I third the suggestion on giving him his own room for a week or so.  He can then get used to the sounds and smells of your house.  I try to put new cats in a room where they have a window to look out, litter box ( away from the food), food/water and a safe place to hide.  I block areas where the cat could get stuck or I couldn't easily get to him.  Some times I even pick up the bed or put it directly on the floor so the cat cannot get under the bed.  Yet do provide a safe hiding spot such as a box with a soft blanket or a small cubby hole.  Visit the kitty many times a day.  You can sit and talk quietly to him.  If he seems frightened by your visits, stay just a short time.  When you leave, drop a few treats.  He will associate you with yummy treats.  Gradually increase your visits.  You can try short play sessions and also leave him a few toys.  Allow him to set the pace.  Once he is more comfortable, you can start by cracking the door to allow him to hear more of the sounds of your house.  You can also let him out for short visits, but always leave his room open.

Feline Composure treats really help to take the edge off.  I used them when I brought my stray inside and he would meow and cry all night.  I would give him 3 treats before bed and he settled nicely.  I also would play soft music all night for him.  The feliway plug in was also helpful. 

Hope this helps a bit. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He's been meowing all morning but now he's stopped. He's in my room somewhere hiding. I think he might be sleeping. The previous owner said he was always very shy and has issues hiding. She rescued him from the streets when he was 8 weeks old. He lived in a house with maybe five other cats. I have Chloe, a 13 week old kitten. They met once (by accident) and they kind of hissed at each other. He lives in my bedroom. I don't think he's eaten  yet. I set up a few hiding places but he won't hide there. I guess I have to come up with something new. He really loves being pet. He purrs when we pet him and if we stop he sticks his head under our hand but he won't come to us to pet him. When we reach out he'll try to take cover but if we just start petting he enjoys it. I've gotten him to play with "da bird" yesterday and he had fun. 

The first thing I have to work on is to get him to eat... I don't think he's eaten anything, or at least too little to notice a difference in the food bowl.

aprilprey

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
The fact that he will let you pet him is HUGE - I think that's a good sign he'll come around eventually.  It is early days yet.  Even a cat that comes into a new home, and is very well adjusted, has some "adjustment behaviors".  When I first brought Dexter home, he was a well adjusted one-year old.  Very friendly.  This did not stop him from meowing lots the first couple of weeks; once he got into the routine of the house he settled down.  Predators thrive on routine - analyzing patterns.  That's how they find prey - your kitty hasn't had time to observe the routine of your home. And some cats are just plain verbal as well.

I also wonder if gender is relevant here.  Male cats, even neutered, are hard wired to look out for other male cats that may be competing with them for food, females, etc.  Sometimes I wonder if "teenage boy kittens" have to get over their fears of not being able to defend themselves...they might be extra cautious making sure there are no other male cats around to hassle them.

ETA: giving him his own room, where he feels safe...and putting his food in there, might help with eating sooner.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

hopps

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

The fact that he will let you pet him is HUGE - I think that's a good sign he'll come around eventually.  It is early days yet.  Even a cat that comes into a new home, and is very well adjusted, has some "adjustment behaviors".  When I first brought Dexter home, he was a well adjusted one-year old.  Very friendly.  This did not stop him from meowing lots the first couple of weeks; once he got into the routine of the house he settled down.  Predators thrive on routine - analyzing patterns.  That's how they find prey - your kitty hasn't had time to observe the routine of your home. And some cats are just plain verbal as well.

I also wonder if gender is relevant here.  Male cats, even neutered, are hard wired to look out for other male cats that may be competing with them for food, females, etc.  Sometimes I wonder if "teenage boy kittens" have to get over their fears of not being able to defend themselves...they might be extra cautious making sure there are no other male cats around to hassle them.

ETA: giving him his own room, where he feels safe...and putting his food in there, might help with eating sooner.
I have him living in my bedroom right now. He's been quiet the whole afternoon actually  which is nice. I made a little hiding place  he might like, but he's been sleeping a lot (he didn't sleep much yesterday evening, neither did I haha). Day 2 has gotten so much better, hopefully I'll get some sleep too. I let him walk around the house this morning because he really wanted to leave the room for some reason. After he explored the house he stopped crying. I think he realized his old  house isn't out my bedroom door. When should I start trying to introduce Chloe? I'm thinking a long the lines of 1 month.

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think a months wait will be necessary to start their introductions, but I do think you'll know when he's more comfortable to start. When you're ready to start, this article will help. http://www.thecatsite.com/a/introducing-cats-to-cats. Expect hissing, this is quite normal. Since they are both young it should go pretty quickly, especially since Bear has already been around other cats.