New Cat Picking At Food -- Is She Getting Enough Nutrients?

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Gracie was adopted on Thursday (Oct. 11th) and, while she *is* eating, she's not eating much. She'll have a few bites of wet food and then leave it. She'll eat maybe a teaspoon or two of kibbles overnight, and randomly pick at the bowl of kibbles throughout the day.

I've tried various foods in a bid to get her to eat a bit more (and to figure out what she likes), but is it better to just stick with one variety and hope she comes around?

Her first vet visit is on Tuesday (Oct. 16th), so I'll go over all this with the vet then, but am hoping to solicit some advice/opinions from TCS in the interim. Thanks in advance for any insight!

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hithere:Congratulations on your new kitty! How old is she? Do you know what she was eating prior to your adoption? It could just be her adjusting to her new home. How was she eating prior to being adopted? I wouldn't worry just yet and it is good that she will be seeing the vet this week. I would put out foods that are familiar to her till then.

Svenja_hel

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't worry. One of mine is a picky eater too, turns out that it helps to just leave him alone. The hungrier he gets, the more likely he is to eat his food. Even though it might not be is favourte. Cause food picking, that's not happening at my house.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks RajaNMizu! (And LOL to the "not in my house" Svenja_hel.)

Gracie's four, and I have no idea what she was eating before -- the shelter provided a free sample bag of food, but the kibbles look different than the ones that were in her bowl. And she doesn't seem too keen on them.

She WILL eat kibbles (other varieties) if I place them in front of her one at a time, and she did eat a small tablespoon of wet food and a few treats. She also had some kibbles overnight (probably about a teaspoon and a half's worth).

She threw up some clear liquid yesterday morning, so I'm wondering if she has a hairball stuck somewhere that's causing a loss of appetite. I'm brushing her twice a day, but I suspect she wasn't brushed much at the shelter and may have residual hair in her stomach.

And, after two mornings of poops at 7:30, she hasn't pooped yet today.

I know eating/drinking/pooping can be thrown off during the adjustment phase, so I'm not OVERLY worried... just a bit concerned.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She needs to eat to poop. If she’s only picking, she may not have enough to expel yet. If she was eating and then stopped eating, she could be constipated. If she does have a hairball or constipation, a half to 1 tsp of raw egg yolk (not the white) offered by itself or with food will definitely get things moving. Administer it once and wait 12 to 24 hours for effect before offering any more.

But I am inclined to think that she’s stressed about the new environment and maybe not crazy about the food you’re offering. Offering kibble may be working against you. Why should she consume large portions when she can pick all day long? Pulverize some of the kibble to use as a topper and donate the rest to an animal shelter. Use the kibble topper on several bites of Fancy Feast. Get the Classic. It’s more species-appropriate than most of the foods out there and most cats seem to like it. Even my nauseated IBD kitty would take a few bites of FF when she wouldn’t eat anything else. Offer the FF a few bites at a time until she’s convinced it’s food and you’re convinced it agrees with her. Then you can ramp her up to full portions over a few days if she hasn’t been eating for a few days.

Check out Furballsmom linked post above. That has a lot of other ideas to get Gracie eating again.

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I'll check out the linked post.

I *have* offered her a few different types of wet food (not at the same time, obviously) apart from the kibble, and she's picked at it -- usually eating a few mouthfuls and then calling it a day.

This morning she ate a tablespoon of one of them and then cleaned the plate... so we may have a winner.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like you have a winner. Keep offering it in smaller amounts more often until her appetite returns. Then you can grow the portions and offer them less often letting hunger work in your favor. It’s entirely possible she just doesn’t understand that you want her on a feeding schedule. Start where she is with smaller portions whenever she’s hungry and move her to where you want her to be gradually over a few days offering more food less often.

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's exactly what I'm doing, daftcat75. :-)

I just now offered her another generous teaspoon of the one she liked, and she once again cleaned the plate... then looked up at me as if to say, "Is that IT?!"

Of course, it's a ridiculously expensive brand. Figures. ;-)

GraciesParent

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yup, she's eating quite a bit now! Both wet and dry. She's now been with me for four days, so maybe she's settling in and her appetite is better.

I'm going to gradually transition her (hopefully) from the über-expensive wet food to a more reasonably priced brand. I'm not in the right tax bracket to afford $3/5 oz. can for the next 15 years or more. ;-)

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Yup, she's eating quite a bit now! Both wet and dry. She's now been with me for four days, so maybe she's settling in and her appetite is better.

I'm going to gradually transition her (hopefully) from the über-expensive wet food to a more reasonably priced brand. I'm not in the right tax bracket to afford $3/5 oz. can for the next 15 years or more. ;-)
Completly understand, FF isn't too pricey and the first ingredient is meat. She doesn't overeat so we free feed Purina One Hairball formula and she gets small portions of the Gravy Lovers several times daily. The beef seemed to cause loose stools so we stick to the turky, chicken, salmon, salmon with sole and whitefish with tuna. :woo: I'm so relieved your girl is eating :bunnydance::jive:

Jcatbird

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just stepped into this post. I am in the dentist chair. Lol I am glad she is eating. There are many alternative foods. Maybe you can alternate with less expensive food. Friskier Shreds makes s gravy loaded food thatcdoes help keep kitty hydrated. Since I deal with large numbers of cats I alternate. Dentist here. Back later

dustydiamond1

Minion to Gypsy since October 2016
Top Cat
Purraise
Just stepped into this post. I am in the dentist chair. Lol I am glad she is eating. There are many alternative foods. Maybe you can alternate with less expensive food. Friskier Shreds makes s gravy loaded food thatcdoes help keep kitty hydrated. Since I deal with large numbers of cats I alternate. Dentist here. Back later
:nervous: :vibes::vibes::vibes::goodluck::heartshape: