New Cat Parents With Two Sick Kittens! Please Help!

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Medicine is not an exact science, it's a good portion art. That means even for the best doctors, it takes time to get the right doses for each individual. It means that part of your job is to keep the vet informed of what's going on. Remind him of the time frame he gave you. If he rushes you over the phone, go down to the office.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Medicine is not an exact science, it's a good portion art. That means even for the best doctors, it takes time to get the right doses for each individual. It means that part of your job is to keep the vet informed of what's going on. Remind him of the time frame he gave you. If he rushes you over the phone, go down to the office.
Since it’s the thanksgiving weekend we can’t get eat ahold of the vet or pharmacy til Monday. I just can’t figure out why we can’t get this right and it kills me they are hurting so much

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A hundreds hugs. We've all been there, it's the hardest part of having little loves around us. Keep reminding yourself they are better off with someone who cares enough to hurt for them than with someone who doesn't.

I don't know if this will help but could you call an online pharmacy. like one connected with pet supplies? Foster&Smith used to have vets on call. Petmeds might, I don't know, who else.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
They may need to be checked (or rechecked) for girardia and coccidia. Those can both be missed easily, and can be difficult to treat. Still, it CAN be treated, and successfully, once you get that firm diagnosis. You may also be dealing with worms, which can hide in the folds of the intestines and NOT be killed with just one worming.

YOU are doing everything right. YOU are wonderful, caring, loving kitty parents. This is just...one of those danged things. I hate it for you and the kittens, but don't give up! This, too, shall pass!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Illnesses are not exact in their treatments or how the course affects the cat and how long it takes to 'cure' something like this. You are NOT doing anything wrong, and I totally understand how it feels to stand by and watch them go through this, I have been there many times. They are kittens, they have an immune system overwhelmed with what is gripping their poor little bodies, and these things take time and often many different treatments to finally work. You are doing all you can, like said above call the vet if there is no improvement at all so he can adjust the treatment or start a new one. I'm so sorry you are going through this. i'll pray for you all, there WILL be a light at the end of the tunnel soon!

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you everyone for your sweet,kind, hopeful thoughts and the wonderful advice and ideas. I used to work at a vet clinic when I was younger as a vet tech for a few years and I saw this so many times but when it’s my own babies I feel like everything I learned went out the window! I didn’t know how to tag everyone in this post to make sure everyone saw this so I hope everyone sees it

Wanted to send an update
As of today both kittens have shown wet BUT structured poop! It’s not perfect hard poop but we have wet logs and they are forming in shapes like long logs and swirled poop piles! They also aren’t going as often! In addition, Thomas has been opening his eyes almost normal and his mucus is now only red crusties and we haven’t seen any puss.

Immediately after I posted this, I redid the living room, cleaned the house, set up multiple mini beds with their favorite blankets, set up the humidifier and made up 5 days worth of fresh chicken and rice and watched them like hawks. I made sure they were eating, drinking, and whenever they were sleeping the humdifer was close by the help their sneezes and overall breathing. I also started a routine with Thomas where we would do all medications for both and Thomas would get a nice warm moist compress on both eyes every two hours. I also have been wiping their bums with baby animal special wipes not only to keep the house clean but to help them from over grooming their probably super sore bottoms from all the cow pies. In addition, I’ve been spending all my time googling/making back up plans and trying to keep my eye out for anymore warning signs that they need to go in sooner.

She took a solid poop yesterday and my husband and I grabbed her out of the box, checked her bum, and we cried holding her telling her how proud we are of her and we held them both and we just smiled and gave them a treat and kissed them because we want them to know how much we love them and we are so happy they are getting better♥♥♥

So far we have had solid poops two days (counting yesterday and today) and his eyes are almost open. Just a small poop brought us both to tears because we can’t finally see they are getting better!

Here are som photos of them today and yesterday so you guys can see the improvements!! Thank you for all the love and support I will continue to update you all!!! His sweet little face and her happy smile after her big log poop haha ignore her little split lip, her and brother have been playing and brother pushed her off the Costco box and she smacked her face. Didn’t phase her but she looks like a scrappy girl now hahha

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah! I can see the improvement! i'm so happy for you that things are starting to turn around. Give them a kiss for me, and thank you for the update!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
WONDERFUL! And...OMG, those kittens are adorable! No wonder you are head-over-heels in love with them!

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WONDERFUL! And...OMG, those kittens are adorable! No wonder you are head-over-heels in love with them!
So today was the first day without the poop meds. All seemed fine and I just got home and she had diarrhea again :(

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This morning she had the squirts again.....we tried to give them a little rabbit last night and see if it would help firm up their poops, just a scoop...im losing my mind. All I did last night and this morning is cry. I dont know what else to do....

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Prayers.

Is there another vet in your area? A second opinion often helps, if only to confirm what the first vet said.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't change their diet in any way right now, and watch the treats,they can cause diarrhea too. Try to stick with what you were doing when they firmed up. Kittens digestive systems are delicate sometimes, you might want to call and update your vet. Since they have been sick, you might want to check into a heated bed for them, it may soothe them and make them feel a little better. My cats are constantly in theirs. You are doing all you can, don't stress on it too much, just make sure they are drinking plenty, taking any medication, and not allergic to anything you might be feeding them. There aren't any plants around they may be chewing on are there? Love is the most important thing in a kittens life, along with a warm bed and plenty of play time! Just keep thinking...you may lose a few battles, but you'll win the war, this too will pass!

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Goodness, yes, keep their diet stable. If you want to make changes, do it slowly, adding bits of the new to the old. That alone can cause tummy upsets.

And a second opinion would not be a bad thing, at all. NO reponsible, caring vet would be upset over it, just as no responsible, caring human doctor would.