New Cat Parents With Two Sick Kittens! Please Help!

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My husband and I adopted our two babies 9 days ago and we have had some serious problems! The girl, duchess is 9 weeks and our boy is 12 weeks. Both neutered/spayed.

Our first issue:
First our little boy was diagnosed a few days ago with URI, he is currently on clavamox, eye drops because one eye had discharge and he winks, and we have been putting fortiflora in their food. We were also were given a few cans of urgent care rich cat food because he wasn’t eating very much because we found out he had ulcers at the top of his mouth (our poor baby). The vet said to give both kittens the clavamox and prescribed a lysine powder (which we stopped using because we did research and found that it’s not really prescribed anymore and it’s not helping the good bacteria in the stomach so we have been using the fortiflora packets which we were given each kitten from the first vet we saw before he was diagnosed with URI. We are also going back to the first vet)

Both kittens have been getting the fortiflora and the clavamox for 3 days now and their poop has been terribly runny and straight smelling awful...we are giving them a mix of the vet food and their original food (whole hearted wet food) to make sure we didn’t drastically change their diet and to keep them hydrated since they have been having a ton of wet poop.

My question for this is, for anyone who has had kittens with URIs how long did it last? It’s been three days and he is still winking his eye, the brown discharge I removed from his nose has come back, he sneezed once today that I saw, and I’m worried it isn’t helping. If you did have a kitten with a similar issue or If they were on similar meds, how long did the poop issues last? Any advice to help our babies so they can have more firm and comfortable poops? We were hoping using the fortiflora would help combat the symptoms I found on the internet about clavamox causing cat diarrhea but they are still pooping mostly diarrhea with a straight poop in there too...Our boy had diarrhea before but we found that a lot of it was him being so sick and I’m just worried he isn’t getting better..

Issue two:
The past two days I have notice my little girl now has the red area that looks raw on the top of her lip. They have ceramic bowls, a large water dish and aside from also eating the urgent care wet food (which the doctor recommended) and taking meds her diet hasn’t changed. I have been googling it and I don’t think it’s the rodent ulcer but she’s so small I can’t really tell.

My question for this is, has anyone seen this or dealt with something similar and is this something we should be concerned about?

Their behaviors, moods, attitudes, etc haven’t changed expect for the boy who went from unplayful and sitting to extremely playful after starting the meds. I’m just so worried about them idk what to do! They have had their poop tested and it came back negative for parasites and things like that less than a week ago so I’m not sure what’s going on. They are both indoor cats and are getting another round of shots next Wednesday. They have not had their rabies yet.
ABA8D2D9-36B6-4BF8-B2FD-394C86DD7E0D.jpeg
34A214B9-A8DF-4796-81EF-2900CF5B650B.jpeg
D41F54A6-59F0-459F-A507-EC498BD00E3E.jpeg
2359C571-D4FB-4D9F-909B-FAA1E16EC9BB.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
The one thing I can suggest would be if you can have your boy in a bathroom while running a steaming shower, 10 minutes or so a couple times a day.

Also you could try this for her, from Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 ;
"you can use a wash made from commercial chamomile tea bags. Just brew a cup, chill it in the fridge, and swab it on. It relieves itches, and is mildly antibacterial and antifungal, so it will help prevent any secondary infections, etc. between now and when you see the vet. You can get the bags in the coffee/tea aisle of almost all grocery stores".

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, swab that lip with the camomile tea until you can have your vet see her. It canNOT do any harm, at all.

As for how long it will take the antibiotics to take effect, 3 days MINIMUM to get to therapeutic levels, almost always, then a slow lessening of symptoms after that.

Bless your precious hearts for working so hard for these babies. I know it is rough, but this will build bonds with them like you won't believe.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, swab that lip with the camomile tea until you can have your vet see her. It canNOT do any harm, at all.

As for how long it will take the antibiotics to take effect, 3 days MINIMUM to get to therapeutic levels, almost always, then a slow lessening of symptoms after that.

Bless your precious hearts for working so hard for these babies. I know it is rough, but this will build bonds with them like you won't believe.

So should we not be surprised that we still have a wonky eye and some sickness? They said after a week give them a call and we started the meds Sunday night...should we be concerned with their poop??

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just gave them a few scoops of baby food squash and they loved it so hoping we get some good results on that. My husband wants to start the lysine again because he’s worried we shouldn’t have stopped it but I think we’re goong to continue with the fortiflora, is that too much???

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
We just gave them a few scoops of baby food squash and they loved it so hoping we get some good results on that. My husband wants to start the lysine again because he’s worried we shouldn’t have stopped it but I think we’re goong to continue with the fortiflora, is that too much???
I'm so sorry your babies aren't feeling well! I think that since the fortiflora is orobiotic, and lysine is an amino acid supplement to help with FVR and IRS symptoms, you should be ok. They're attacking from different angles, so to speak. The lysine might even help with Duchess' ulcer. Definitely do not stop the course of antibiotics until finished. If anything, I'd say you could try taking away the probiotic (since I assume it was Rx for diarrhea and it's not helping,) and see if their digestive symptoms go away. Some people like to keep their pets (and themselves,) on a constant course of probiotics, but they don't work for everyone. As always, make sure the kittens are extra hydrated for as long as they have runny stools. Giving pedialyte can help replenish fluids and electrolytes. I hope they're both feeling better soon!

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would start up that lysine again. I always recommend that stuff for an immune system booster and also it is great for mouth sores too! The Fortiflora could be causing the diarrhea. If it lasts too long check with the vet because they can get dehydrated quickly.

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey everyone!
So Thomas and Duchess got checked out. The vet said to stop the Clavamox because it was an antibiotic to help a viral infection so it didn’t make sense. We stopped it and the poop seems to be getting better but they are still getting it out of their system so we’re giving it time. The doctor said to give him basically this solid lubrication in the eye morning and night (kinda like “gentile” for extra production of tears) and we give him the drops mid day which is good because I’m home this week for thanksgiving break from teaching. Luckily they checked his eye and no ulcer in his eye.

Duchess seems much better as well. Doctor said it was just a scab and will go away with time.

Both are on lysine powder basically for life because the URI is in their system and the doctor said that flare ups can happen especially in the eyes and to keep them at bay, to continue the powder in their food which they don’t mind at all about

To keep his eye safe we are buying him a mini cone from petco because he rubs and scratches it a lot. Plus when they play she goes for the eye of course, So he won’t be happy but we are happy he’s healing! Thanks for the support everyone!!!

Here are some updated photos. She loves her scratching post and daddy is holding him like a baby because it helps relax him during eye drops ♥ I will keep everyone updated! Thank you all again!!!

Attachments

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That lysine powder is wonderful stuff! I've seen it do wonders for cats of all ages. I'm tickled to death to learn that things are improving, and that you are finally able to start relaxing and just enjoying your babies!

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
That lysine powder is wonderful stuff! I've seen it do wonders for cats of all ages. I'm tickled to death to learn that things are improving, and that you are finally able to start relaxing and just enjoying your babies!

Thank you!!! Hoping that his eye starts feeling better sooner rather than later! Poor baby is always squiting :cringe::bawling:

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Unfortunately we woke up this morning to Thomas not wanting to eat a whole lot and with a closed eye and now his other eye is goupy...one step forward, two steps back. We put a warm compress on it, have tried cleaning it several times, I ever put the cone on him to make sure he doesnt scratch. After the compresses he seems to be doing a little bit better, but the eyes are still bad. Going to call the vet in the morning and see if they can get him on some antiviral eye drops. We debated taking him to the emergency vet but after the compress he has been opening the closed one more so were keeping it eye on it and if it gets worse were gonna take him in. With more than 4 visits in the past two weeks to the vet, im running out of money and sanity. I cant figure out whats going on....

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
WELL we had the vet look at him and he basically just has it in two eyes. He was supposed to come over to my parents with duchess for thanksgiving but I’m scared it will spread to my moms small dogs.

Any recommendations to help speed up healing!?

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you got somewhere the kits can hide while at your mom's? Kits that age are easily overwhelmed and need their safe place. Perhaps their carrier and a towel over it in a separate room? If they were human babies you'd do the same, so your mom shouldn't be surprised. In fact she may be pleased you thought of it.

Personally, not knowing who will be there and how loud it may get, but going on Thanksgivings I've seen, I'd let the kits stay home and make it a relatively short visit. But that's just me.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
URI's are VERY common in kittens, especially those around a lot of other kittens, like in shelters. I have had kittens get them that are separated and not around other cats at all! L-Lysine is the way to go, it stops the replication of the virus. Give until all symptoms disappear, usually in 1-2 weeks, then keep some on hand if it flares up in the future. I get mine as treats on amazon and it comes with an immune booster too. The medication should start helping in 3-4 days. I know that in children with pink eye, once the ointment/drops are started for 24 hours they are safe to be around others, you might call your vet and see if your two are OK. They have a kitty cold, so don't feel well, I would leave them at home if at all possible, stress is not the way to treat it , in fact stress brings on kitty colds, and traveling is definitely stress in a cat.

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So this has been the new update. They were seen on Wednesday and the doctor put them on metronidazole for 5 days and said it was supposed to help them both with the diarrhea. We put them on a chicken and rice diet and so far we are in day three of yellow cow pies (the chicken and rice causes it to be yellow they said). They are acting normal and I feel like Thomas’ eye is better since we put him on the chicken and rice. Unfortunately the medication doesn’t seem to be helping them poop wise and the doctor and pharmacy said we should be seeing results by today.... ugh I just wanna cry, why aren’t they getting better!? What are we doing wrong!?

swaters

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
URI's are VERY common in kittens, especially those around a lot of other kittens, like in shelters. I have had kittens get them that are separated and not around other cats at all! L-Lysine is the way to go, it stops the replication of the virus. Give until all symptoms disappear, usually in 1-2 weeks, then keep some on hand if it flares up in the future. I get mine as treats on amazon and it comes with an immune booster too. The medication should start helping in 3-4 days. I know that in children with pink eye, once the ointment/drops are started for 24 hours they are safe to be around others, you might call your vet and see if your two are OK. They have a kitty cold, so don't feel well, I would leave them at home if at all possible, stress is not the way to treat it , in fact stress brings on kitty colds, and traveling is definitely stress in a cat.
He’s been sick for almost 3 weeks now and she’s been having The poop for 2 weeks. He got better now since we changed to chicken and rice and this medicine he’s been doing cow pies too. I can’t understand what’s happening