New Cat Owner

Emilyl12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I never really liked cats before. I had one and all he did was spray and destroy my parents house. Me and my fiancé found this adorable female Siamese kitten in July. And instantly felt attached to her. But lately. She’s been peeing on my side of the bed. And she seems scared of me. She is very skiddish but she used to sit on my lap. But now she won’t And I don’t know why. She takes treats out of my hand and lets me pet her. But picking her up or her coming to lay in my lap is a no. She only pees on my side of the bed. And on me while I’m even sleeping. How can I improve our relationship? And have her not be afraid of me?

RajaNMizu

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
:hithere:The first thing you would want to rule out is if it's a medical condition. Has your cat been to the vet to rule out any issues that would cause urinating out of the box? Has your cat been spayed? Those would be the first things before considering it a behavioral issue.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Congrats on the kitten. She's really is adorable. :catlove:

How old is she? Has she been spayed yet? If not, and depending on her age, she might be going into heat.

It also could be an UTI, which would need antibiotics to clear up. So a vet checkup might be a good idea.

Kittens do often pee on bedding. Make sure you are cleaning the bedding with an Enzyme Cleaner, as that is the only type that will remove the urine scent. If she can still smell her scent, she may continue to pee there.

Here's a few TCS articles with more info:
How To Solve Litterbox Problems In Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Litterbox Problems? Here's Why You Should Call Your Vet
Inappropriate Peeing, Spraying, Toy Obsession And Leg And Hand Nipping
Spraying: When Your Cat Uses Urine To Mark Territory

How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens

Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats
When To Spay Or Neuter A Cat?
Spaying And Neutering - What To Ask Before The Surgery
Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery

14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emilyl12

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah she has been spayed. And she has a vet appointment Friday to test for a UTI. I’m really hoping it’s not a behavior issue. I just really wanna bond with her more. And since I haven’t really been around cats. I don’t know how they normally act. She runs around a lot. And I’d figure that’s cause she’s still considered a kitten. She’s about 6-8 months old