New cat owner ideas

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm making a video about starter tips about cats / first time cat owner advice / things I wish I knew before getting a cat. Does anyone wanna leave some ideas I could maybe include? I'll be discussing general things like not feeding dry food EVER, how to bond, environmental stimulation, routine, breaking them into being OK with carriers; baths, walks, etc. leave some ideas! If you have any. 👼

also don't argue in the replies lol

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
One thing I would include is talking about how you can't train a cat the way you train a dog. They don't respond to "dominance" the way a dog does for good behavior. And also include things like how water spray bottles, etc...are a no no. Dominance tactics instill fear not good behavior.

And not to sound argumentative.....but I would be more inclined to present the benefits of feeding wet food and shutting down the myth that dry food "cleans teeth" rather than telling someone to never feed dry. I know this a touchy subject for many but shaming those who include dry food in their cats routine is not as effective than really promoting the benefits of wet and encouraging them to at least make wet part of their diet. Again, I'm not sure how you were going to present it so I don't want to assume you would have presented in a negative way...just wanted to put that out there for your consideration... :thumbsup:

You could also include things like how to transition them to a new food and new litter. And how to maintain, the size and types of boxes, and how many is appropriate (depending on number of cats), the importance of placement of the box etc..
And tips on how to get them to use a scratching post.

You could even talk about how different cats like to play in different ways. Wand toys vs kicker toys vs little balls and mice.

OH! and perhaps a link to toxic plants you should not have in your home.

OH! and also simple things that can be dangerous like strings, thread, tinsel, rubber bands, dental floss, etc...And things like the cords on blinds and other stuff that can strangle.

This sounds like a really fun project BTW! Good luck!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
argumentative.....but I would be more inclined to present the benefits of feeding wet food and shutting down the myth that dry food "cleans teeth" rather than telling someone to never feed dry.
I was going to say that too. Being too absolutist on the subject can discourage new cat owners and make them feel more skeptical (well, so-and-so's cat has eaten dry food for 20 years and is doing fine. . ."). Encouragement to feed more wet food and tips for how to pull off an all-wet-food diet while working full time would be nice though.

And definitely tips about scratch training and a discussion about why not to de-claw.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One thing a new owner might need advice on is having a cat live strictly indoors as opposed to an indoor/outdoor cat. Also advice on cat enclosures and advice for anyone who wants to train a cat to walk on a leash.
It might be better to present it as the benefits of being indoors only. Along with what you will need to do if you allow your cat outdoors: having emergency fund, keeping up with vaccines, having safe access points to the home that other cats can't use, daily health checks, flea treatments, and inability to monitor litter box negatives.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
The only thing I would change would be to tell first-time owners of (specifically) kittens that they should leave out hard food for a kitten to munch on throughout the day and have several set, designated small meals made of wet food. All different textures and a couple different proteins. Transition to solely wet food later on.

I wish I'd started much earlier on training to clip claws and pay attention to dental health via brushing their teeth.

Preach the importance of an indoor-only cat for both safety for the cat and local wildlife populations.

I love the idea of a toxic plant list!

sailon

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm making a video about starter tips about cats / first time cat owner advice / things I wish I knew before getting a cat. Does anyone wanna leave some ideas I could maybe include? I'll be discussing general things like not feeding dry food EVER, how to bond, environmental stimulation, routine, breaking them into being OK with carriers; baths, walks, etc. leave some ideas! If you have any. 👼

also don't argue in the replies lol
Stress the need for patience and acceptance of the fact that cats are wild animals that don't come from a hierarchical society. It's not in their nature to instinctively want to please you.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'll probably talk about the myth that cats are very low maintenance pets, which isn't necessary true anymore with indoor cats. Some new owners seem not to know about the importance of enrichments and playing with cats, that boredom may be stressful and cause behavioral issues, that they need regular interaction with their humans and not just "being there".
Also, I'd emphasize that kittens do best in pairs :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SpecterOhPossum

spec's pet human
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Good ideas, all of you! I've been writing the script for a while and I will definitely be adding y'all's ideas, thanks for sharing!

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I'd like to add, recommend trying a variety of foods so you can rotate between them so if one food goes under a recall of changes its formula, your cat still has something they'll eat.