New cat only likes the expensive stuff

miaou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please help a clueless first-time cat owner! I adpted a five month old kitten three weeks ago. Her profile said she "likes eating canned food very much", which I was glad about as I intended to feed her canned food (on a budget). The rescue wasn't able to tell me what her foster family was feeding her, and I bought some Fancy Feast Kitten. But it didn't seem to please her, and she ate it with a marked lack of entusiasm (taking a lot of time and eating a lot less than the recommended quantity) so I tried the Wellness brand kitten food, which she didn't want to touch at all. The rescue had given me a sample pack of kibble for indoor cats, which she liked ok, so I supplemented with it. When I took her to the vet for a general checkup after a couple of weeks, the vet reassured me that she was quite thin but not underweight and recommended Royal Canin wet food for kittens. She actually inhales this stuff. I'm glad I finally found a wet food she likes ,but problem is 1- Royal Canin is not really sustainable for me in terms of price, 2- it makes her poop stink to high heaven (none of the other foods I've tried to feed her has this effect) so I'm concerned she may not be tolerating it well. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, welcome!

Can you mix the RC with the FF? And then try mixing it with the wellness?

It hopefully helps her digestive system to tolerate the RC better plus if this works, it will help your budget.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Please help a clueless first-time cat owner! I adpted a five month old kitten three weeks ago. Her profile said she "likes eating canned food very much", which I was glad about as I intended to feed her canned food (on a budget). The rescue wasn't able to tell me what her foster family was feeding her, and I bought some Fancy Feast Kitten. But it didn't seem to please her, and she ate it with a marked lack of entusiasm (taking a lot of time and eating a lot less than the recommended quantity) so I tried the Wellness brand kitten food, which she didn't want to touch at all. The rescue had given me a sample pack of kibble for indoor cats, which she liked ok, so I supplemented with it. When I took her to the vet for a general checkup after a couple of weeks, the vet reassured me that she was quite thin but not underweight and recommended Royal Canin wet food for kittens. She actually inhales this stuff. I'm glad I finally found a wet food she likes ,but problem is 1- Royal Canin is not really sustainable for me in terms of price, 2- it makes her poop stink to high heaven (none of the other foods I've tried to feed her has this effect) so I'm concerned she may not be tolerating it well. I have no idea what to do. Any suggestions?
What ff did she try? My cat loves ff classics turkey&giblets and beef. She does not like tuna. It does not need to be kitten food. Rc is too expensive.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Have you tried the Purina Kitten food or Iams Perfect Portions? Mine moved from RC to those quite easily.

None of my cats have liked Wellness since the manufacturer changes in recent years.