New Cat - Old Cat Problems

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Recently I found a stray cat in my backyard, emaciated and covered in mud. He was eating bird seed off of the ground that had fallen from the feeders. I felt bad for him so I brought him inside in a crate and confined him to the bathroom thinking my fiancé would be rather ruffled by the new cat and would want me to find a home for him asap. To my surprise my fiancé fell in love with him almost instantly, the cat is a real charmer. He has a lovely temperament and seems to crave attention. My only problem is my female cat who was here first.

Atari is some kind of mix breed tabby cat, I’ve had her since she was 6 months old. She was going to the SPCA shelter before I contacted the owner via an add I saw online and claimed her. She was the sweetest cat you’ve ever seen until this new guy came in to the house. She had never been aggressive towards anything before (Aside from my one friend Mike, but we never figured out why she doesn’t like him). Now however she is hissing and growling and yowling whenever I enter the same room as her and she charged and bit me yesterday. She also hisses every time she hears Sega meow or move something in the other room. She's been hiding non-stop since I brought him in and she has never done this before.

Sega, the new cat, has not been helping the situation. He meows and yowls consistently from in the bathroom, mainly at night. We’ve been waiting for Atari to go in to the bed room, shutting the door, and letting Sega out to play and roam but he still meows all night long. I took a squirt bottle to him this morning and he seems to have shut up for now. He also seems to be afraid of the dark? Every time we turned the light out in the bathroom he made this ‘noise’. I’ve never heard a cat make a sound like that before. We figured he was being dramatic and gave him a nightlight but left the main light off in the bathroom last night and it didn’t work.

For some background information; Atari has been spayed and vaccinated. She’s up to date on all her shots and she even proudly wears a snap-away collar with a little bell and her tags on it.

We don’t know too much about Sega yet, which is why we haven’t let him see Atari just yet. We’re taking Sega to the SPCA tomorrow to see if he’s micro chipped but I doubt it with the condition he was in. We’ve checked all of the lost pet adds we could find online and no one seems to be looking for him. He’s in a cat crate in the bathroom. It has a wire bottom so I put a few towels down for him so he wouldn’t hurt his paws. He’s been given food and water dishes separate from Atari’s and whenever we let him out we hide Atari’s toys and dishes.

They also look like they could be litter mates or something.

This is Atari:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/384414_147316492037466_2057530908_n.jpg

And this is Sega

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/903728_321075587994888_464816049_o.jpg

Anyone have any suggestions for curbing behaviour issues from either cat?

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for rescuing Sega; he sounds like a real sweetheart.

Here is an article about introducing (or not!) cats to one another.

Atari is probably objecting to Sega because she's been the top banana/cat for a while and now she's not.  So give Atari lots of extra loving.

And Sega may be crying cause he's scared--and probably not neutered so he's got all sorts of hormones going on.  And night time is the time cats--especially kittens with bundles of energy--are active.

I'd continue to confine Sega so he can get use to being inside again.  Turn on the radio, give Sega some toys he can entertain himself with (balls will bells inside are good). 

And of course Sega needs to be tested for FIV/FeLK and dewormed (and neutered if not already) before Sega meets Atari. 

Good luck, and let us know how the vet visit went.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The water bottle has effectively silenced Sega when I leave the room, which has Atari coming out to play now, which I'm grateful for

Sega has a couple of toys in the bathroom for him. He's got free range of the bathroom when he's not clawing the bottom of the door off. The toys used to be Atari's but she has never played with them once, she prefers the little stuffed mice to the rolling rattly balls. I've tried to give some attention to Atari but every time I do she growls and makes a motion to bite or scratch me again. Is she just throwing a hissy fit? Should I just leave her be for now? 

Also I just read over that Guide and it's very helpful! Thank you!

I'm not sure if Sega is nurtured or not. He does 'Pretend Spray' a lot but nothing ever comes of it. I should know how old he is and if he's nurtured when I visit the SPCA with him tomorrow to see if he's microchip. I also planned not to let them meet until Sega got the Okay from the vet so at least I did right there.

Last edited:

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Good for you, rescuing the little thing. I hope everything turns out okay at the vet. When you get the results of the tests, and the two are introduced, and start playing, be prepared to belly laugh most of the time. Two cats are almost always better than one, and they can get into some crazy playing.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
As it turns out my add was seen by 'Sega's owners! They have been looking for their cat Maldo for a while now and have just been happily reunited with their missing family member! The Ottawa Humane Society managed to link my Found Pet form to a Missing one given by the owners.

All's well that ends well. Now that he's out of the house my cat is acting exactly like she used to before hand. No more growling or biting.

catspaw66

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
All's well,......except you lost a new buddy. Best wishes to you and Atari. Please keep posting, we like to keep up with new friends.

varsettie

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I don't plan on leaving! this site has far to many helpful resources! =D