New Cat, Old Bird...

Sam T Godfrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is my first real post so I hope it's in the right place!
As you can see by my avatar I am pals with Cosmo. He is an ordinary dove (well, in theory) and has the run of my small apartment. He's been with me for over four years so our routine is set.
Now I intend to change this situation by adopting a cat! Doesn't sound to bright, but I think I can pull it off. I've had cats all my life and each one was the best, never a problem. I'm hoping that's partly because of me, but... Anyway, the idea is to adopt the youngest kitten at Hi-Tor Shelter, Pomona, NY Pet Adoption Service | Pomona | Hi Tor Animal Care Center | hitor.org (shameless plug, but they all need help!) The youngest adoptable, and specifically a male kitten. Kittens are $150 and come neutered, vaccinated, checked up and healthy with one free local vet visit. Good deal!
The reason a kitten is he would be as small if not smaller than Cosmo and wouldn't be able to do any damage if he tried. Also male because once male cats have been "fixed" they are usually more docile than females if I recall right. And then getting to know and growing up with the dove will be easier than a grown female, that I know for sure!
Cosmo on the other hand, is familiar with one small dog that he lived with before he was given to me. I take care of the dog sometimes, Chico the worlds mellowest Chihuahua, and they play together when Chico is here! Cosmo is afraid of nothing, loves people visiting, and chimes in on Zoom meetings. He's pretty well put together with just a little wild streak. I'm expecting he will approach a kitten as someone new to play with. If anything catches his attention or disturbs him he flies away too quick to film with a cell phone.
Now I'm thinking this arrangement should fall together seamlessly with the worst possible problem being jealousy on Cosmo's part, but I can keep him happy I think.
Any comments or advice on this hare-brained scheme are more than welcome! Sock it to me!
Thanks ~ Sam

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wow I would never try this unless it was with a large parrot and a kitten. I wish I could own parakeets but my hyper cst would torture them (lurking menacingly outside their cage.)

So I like the idea of fostering. Plus some cats have more of a desire to hunt then others. I would also never leave the two of them unattended until the kitten was a year old &/or had proven trustworthy.

Can you give the kitten a few crickets that you can let the kitten hunt? You know letting it kill something small to get all of it’s prey drive out? Then you could have a small cricket cage the kitten can sit next to & hunt (instead of Cosmo!)

Please tell us how it turns out? I have seen videos of parrot & cat friendships.... so I know it can happen.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sam T Godfrey

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow! Great replies all! Thank you!

Furballsmom, that is a purrfect idea (which I never thought of!) It's common to foster with our shelter and I have a few friends who always have cats or dogs, even bunnies on and off. I do have a problem with fostering, though. Maybe it would work if the first cat was the right cat, but this is a one-time go for broke decision. I'm disabled and without a car and I'm living on Social Security and benefits. The only way I can afford this is the current stimulus money which just came in for me.
To get the ball rolling, I have to pay the Senior Apartment Complex $300 (one time) to bring home a pet. This is subsidized housing so they watch everything that is done and every dollar spent. I'd try to fight it with medical reasons or such but that might just get me tossed out! Also, to get to the shelter and back is a long local bus ride with three transfers, and I wouldn't put a kitty in a box through that! I'll be taking a taxi with a friends company and have to have them wait there. I'm not sure but that will be well over $50. With the adoption at $150 that's a quick $500! If this doesn't work out, I won't have a lump sum to redo much of it, but I do have a friend that would love to have a cat! Then I could save up and try again.

BellaGooch BellaGooch , thanks for the articles! I should have read them first before I made any more comments... I will when I'm done here!

Danteshuman, more good ideas! In the past I had two cats and a 50 gallon tank, water and land, full of little creepy crawlies my girlfriend and I would find. Frogs, salamanders, snails, and a few pet shop fish. These ate crickets and although I made a screen top, the crickets would get out and the cats would get them. Worked well! Maybe a good live distraction would be some goldfish, cats and I both like them, and they don't chirp all night long! But yes, that may help.

Again, Cosmo is pretty resourceful at barnstorming people and Chico the dog. He is always aware of everything around him and the apartment is small but he flies around like a pro. He may actually give a kitty anxiety problems....
Now to read those articles!

Thank you all ~ Sam

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam I hear you about budgeting and not having a car. I’m on SSI (MS) & live in subsidized housing for seniors & the disabled adults (with a TON of rules!) The rules are part of the reason Jackie is an only kitty.

However many people get around the 1 pet rule by getting an emotional support animal (which I think means you don’t have to pay a deposit.) To get one you need a shrink to write you a letter. Which is $50-150$ or you can go online & have a dr do it for $300-$500! So it might be worth looking into.

Can you get a friend to drive you? Cab fair is insanely expensive! It is the reason I don’t use it & rely on family when I need a ride.

When you get the kitten, you might want to research low cost vet clinics. Kittens from shelters come neutered and with their first vaccines. However they still need more vaccines. So the vaccine will cost 10-20$ instead of 50-70$! This will work for annual visits to.

A thing that occurred to me is if you hung some thin branches (that would only support Cosmo) from the ceiling in every room (⭐ with nothing that a kitten or cat can climb to try to ambush Cosmo..... like curtains, tables or bookshelves.) Then Cosmo would have a safe place he could always fly to, in every room.

Good luck! & with part of my stimulus check Jackie got some fancy toys like a hexabug cat toy set, to keep him occupied when it rains! (He is hyper & goes a bit nuts when he can’t get his outside time.) 🤣