New cat keep hiding

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone

I brought to my house a 1 year old new cat. I put it in a safe room. He has toys food and a cat tree. The first time I brought him he was a bit shy and get scared easily but come out. That same night he fall from the third floor. I took him to the vet (he didn't break anything) but he need treatment for a leg that has a small fissure. I took him for 5 days on a row. In that time he begin eating and coming out but always the next day he was hiding again and had to offer food to make him came out. I feel that every time I go to his room I have to began from 0 when I thought we were improving. I would like to introduce him to my small dog first because he is very easy going. But I feel he won't came out to see him. Any suggestions? Should I wait for him to be more confident with me and then bring the dog to the safe room or should I let them meet around the house. Also everyone is bothering to introduce the cats but I know they are not that easy to introduce that's why ai am waiting. Also my other cat notice someone is up there and she wasnt going there anymore for a while but she now is getting near the door sometimes. Also I brush the new cat yesterday for a bit and make my other cat smell the fur. Any suggestions. Also I have to work everyday and I brought the cat for my other cat to be friend because the dog is my parents dog and he doesn't know how to play, they just ignore each other.

gosalyn

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

I brought to my house a 1 year old new cat. I put it in a safe room. He has toys food and a cat tree. The first time I brought him he was a bit shy and get scared easily but come out. That same night he fall from the third floor. I took him to the vet (he didn't break anything) but he need treatment for a leg that has a small fissure. I took him for 5 days on a row. In that time he begin eating and coming out but always the next day he was hiding again and had to offer food to make him came out. I feel that every time I go to his room I have to began from 0 when I thought we were improving. I would like to introduce him to my small dog first because he is very easy going. But I feel he won't came out to see him. Any suggestions? Should I wait for him to be more confident with me and then bring the dog to the safe room or should I let them meet around the house. Also everyone is bothering to introduce the cats but I know they are not that easy to introduce that's why ai am waiting. Also my other cat notice someone is up there and she wasnt going there anymore for a while but she now is getting near the door sometimes. Also I brush the new cat yesterday for a bit and make my other cat smell the fur. Any suggestions. Also I have to work everyday and I brought the cat for my other cat to be friend because the dog is my parents dog and he doesn't know how to play, they just ignore each other.
The brushing is a good idea, yes. And as much as it sounds gross, perhaps spread some of the fur onto the furniture in the safe room. Cats identify a lot by smell, and the fur has a lot of smell in it. Did this cat come with any furniture or items of it's own? If so, then you can use that instead of the fur. 5 days is not all that long. it may take a week or two for the new cat to seem to feel confident in just the safe room. Once it does, however, place some of the things from that room, into various parts of the house, that the cat will be allowed to go into. In addition, perhaps mix some of the litter from the litter box in the safe room into other litter boxes in the house. Make sure to block off places like under the beds and behind the couches, etc...

The dog would likely be the best one to introduce first, yes, since, as you said, it is an easy-going animal. Things won't be love at first sight. The goal will likely be just to get the cat to do what it does while the dog is nearby.

With the other cats, it's probably best to use sight blockers and food to introduce them first. so they can't see each other, but can hear and smell. feed your most easy-going cat on the outside of the safe room door, while the new cat eats just on the other side of it, for example.

It will be a long process, but well worth it when it's over. :)

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
How's he doing @vada50?  He'll have finished his treatment by now and will be able to start relaxing for the first time in over a week.  Remember that he'll still be stressed from all the hospital visits for a couple of days.  After then, it will be like day one, and you will see improvements more steadily.  You're still doing everything right.  But don't introduce him to your little dog until he ventures out of his room on his own, explores, and does his scent marking.  

I've just looked up the average time for a new cat to come out of hiding, and find it to be two weeks.  So, seeing as you're only really on day one now, he might be hiding for a while yet.  Just be patient.  I know it's hard for you, as you were really excited about bringing him home, then he had his accident, and you were very stressed.  And you must be really looking forward to him, your other cat, and dog all being friends, so that you can relax and go to work without worrying.  

Is his hiding place in view of his safe room door, by the way?  If it's not, then perhaps make him a second hidey-hole that is.  He'll feel more relaxed if he can smell, sense, and see what's through the door from the safety of his his bed.

@Gosalyn  has given you some fantastic advice.  

.....Time Ticks Slowly On.....

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vada50

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Gosalyn and Brian thank you very much for your advice. Yesterday I was thinking the same and block some of his hideouts.

Yesterday night I went to see how was he doing and he was resting in the cat tree near the window. I was so happy!

And he was a bit scared but didn't go to his hiding spot just behind the couch which is in the center of the room and I prefer that than him hiding in the very difficult access corner.

Today before going to work I enter the room and he was a lot better. He was behind the couch but he get out very fast to eat.

I will keep updating. Sorry if it's short but I am at work lol

DogsSuckButILoveMine!

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, I want to thank this forum.

Exactly one year ago I was a mess and googling all over because I very selfishly (and it is true, it was selfish!) adopted an "elder" terrier mix (those "elder" terriers will kick your butt!). My cat was SHAKING when she saw him. I can't tell you how LOW I felt about myself - how selfish, unfeeling, self-indulgent. I imposed my whim on the I could have given the dog back but the guilt (he is probably around 8-10 yo?) was also overwhelming.

It has now been 12 months. First 4-5 months my cat lived atop the fridge. The guilt was unbearable. She'd run and hide whenever the dog was out (He is 20 lbs). I taught him (very sternly, with a finger-on-your-head-roll-"NO!!!" motion) to not even look at the cat (because he snapped his teeth a her!).

Anyway, this went on for about 7 months. And then gradually.... they were on the floor together.... the cat was sniffing the dog's butt... esp. when he was sleeping... he was sniffing her...

12 months in we have a very well adjusted family. The dog cares about us humans and ignores the cat. The cat is curious and not afraid of the dog.

My message to you is: do not despair, be consistent (punish the interloper dog, gently) and it will be all good! I have no hopes that the dog and the cat will be friends, but they are coexisting peacefully and happily!