New cat is neutered, male resident cat is not. Will they get along?

luvva2233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I've made this post because i have brought home a new cat today, who is neutered while my resident cat is un neutered until his appointment next month. I was wondering if they would even have the slightest chance of getting along as i know male cat hormones cause them to be aggressively territorial. My new cat is very timid so i would hope my resident cat doesnt feel threatened by him. He’s sniffed the carrier i brought the new cat in but didnt have any reaction. Does this mean he’d be calm when i finally allow visual contact later down in the introduction process? Will they be able to get along at all?

Id also like to apologize if ive posted this in the wrong spot. Ive never used any forum before

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi L luvva2233 Welcome to TCS.

Any cats need to go through a slow introduction process before they meet face to face. As you are getting your resident cat neutered I would wait until that has been done before you go any further. Male cats will still have testosterone in their systems for up to 30 days after surgery, so ideally you should wait another month before starting the introductions. However, if you think it's a good idea you could start the initial scent swapping earlier than that.

No two introductions go the same and the longer you give the cats to get used to each other before they meet face to face, the better it will go.

We have a step by step guide here that might help.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan , so...go slow, read that article! It really is good. I will say, however, that the resident cat's reaction to the scent of the newcomer is encouraging, and a good start. Just don't get overly enthusiastic, and rush things. And definitely wait until after the neutering. Your resident cat will come home from the vet smelling different, and that could undo everything you've done up until then. It can even cause issues for cats who have been raised together, so let's not push that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvva2233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi L luvva2233 Welcome to TCS.

Any cats need to go through a slow introduction process before they meet face to face. As you are getting your resident cat neutered I would wait until that has been done before you go any further. Male cats will still have testosterone in their systems for up to 30 days after surgery, so ideally you should wait another month before starting the introductions. However, if you think it's a good idea you could start the initial scent swapping earlier than that.

No two introductions go the same and the longer you give the cats to get used to each other before they meet face to face, the better it will go.

We have a step by step guide here that might help.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats [The Ultimate Guide] - TheCatSite
Hello and thank you for your response! 😊 ive started scent swapping and neither cat has shown signs of aggression so i’m very optimistic that when they DO meet face to face it’ll be a lot smoother than most cases. Ive read books, magazines and binge watched every jackson galaxy video on introductions he has. I guess i really just wanted to ask because my new cat’s base camp is my bedroom, which my resident cat was in 24/7 (hes a velcro cat) so in the case that he successfully bolts in (hes tried many times) i wanted to kinda estimate if they would get along well enough until Karma (my resident cat) got neutered and maybe coexist in the same space. But of course, i now know that its better to absolutely wait. Thank you so much

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

luvva2233

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I agree with Norachan Norachan , so...go slow, read that article! It really is good. I will say, however, that the resident cat's reaction to the scent of the newcomer is encouraging, and a good start. Just don't get overly enthusiastic, and rush things. And definitely wait until after the neutering. Your resident cat will come home from the vet smelling different, and that could undo everything you've done up until then. It can even cause issues for cats who have been raised together, so let's not push that.
I didnt even think about the change in scent! Thank you. I will definitely be waiting and am super optimistic of their reactions to each other. Ive started scent swapping by switching out cat beds, letting them sniff the bag after i clean their litter boxes, letting them smell each other through the door, on my clothes, and have even brushed them with the same brush and no aggression whatsoever. My resident cat, Karma just seems curious but not too interested. So i’m hoping after neutering it will be a lot easier, even if i have to start over with the new scents and such. I’ll be a lot more comfortable with them meeting when my cat is altered. Thank you so much!

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Two toms would have MUCH more problems then a neutered male and a tom. I have seen toms completely ignore neutered cats but atttack another tom immediately. Remember it can take up to 60 days for all the hormones to leave the body after a neuter too. It sounds like tehy bare off to a good start, I think everything will go well. Just take it easy, these things just take lots of time. It WILL happen!