New cat is meowing a lot... (looking for thoughts/advice)

cman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm at work today, so I'm going to do some searching around the internet for some information, but I wanted to ask here as well.

Thursday evening, I adopted a new kitty. Her name is Frankie (but I'm changing that to Abby). She's has med/long hair and is an orange and white tabby. She's supposed to be 1 year 3 mo old, but she's really small and seems more kitten in how playful she is. To me, she seems like she might be half that age. I'll find out when I take her to the vet Tuesday. She's very affectionate, but very timid. What I mean by that is, you can't just reach down and pet her and she doesn't rub up against your hand when you hold it out. However, when you are able to start petting her, she eats it up like there is no tomorrow. I'm not worried about this behavior even though she did it at the home I adopted her from with the people that owned her - I figure she'll get used to me and it'll all work out.

Anyways, here's my question. She meows a LOT. For example, last night I let her out of the bedroom and put my resident cat in the bedroom. I did that so she could have free run of the apartment and get used to the smells and surroundings. This is not the first time I have let her out of the bedroom, but this is the first time I let her out and didn't pay a bunch of attention to her. I just let her roam free and explore and such. Well, she meowed a lot (and I mean a lot). I can't really tell if she's just meowing to get attention from me. I noticed that if I do pay attention to her, she quiets down until she gets out of reach or goes onto something else, then she may start meowing again. Eventually, she stopped though (I think because I ignored her) and found a place on the top perch on the cat tree and took a nap.

As another example, she spent the night outside of my bedroom last night (it was Smokey's - my resident cat - turn to sleep with me) and when I got up to shower and get ready for work, she just wandered around meowing and meowing and meowing. And it got quite loud at times. This time I sorta experiemented with ignoring her or paying attention to her and it didn't seem to make much difference. I mean, she'd stop meowing while I was petting her, but if she got out of reach or walked away like she was interested in something else, she started meowing again. One thing I should say is this meowing is not like she's trying to hold a conversation with me, but rather that she's crying out or maybe calling for someone (if that makes any sense).

Now, I love cats, I really, really do, but I do not love meowing constantly or even semiconstantly. I explained to the lady I adopted the cat from that I didn't like a lot of meowing and wanted to make sure this cat was not a meower/talker. She told me the cat was not completely silent but she also told me that the cat doesn't meow for 30 minutes at a time too.

So, I'm just curious what people's thoughts are... The cat is NOT spayed as of yet, so I'm thinking I read somewhere that cats in heat are vocal, but I don't know how to tell if she is in heat or not. I also figure that the environment is new and she's probably missing her friends at the old home (they had 3 cats and 3 dogs), so I can see her meowing for them as well. Also, she does seem to have some clear discharge from her nose when she rubs against you or shakes her head, so maybe she's sick too.

I think I've answered my own question, but could those things be reason enough to make a normally quiet cat very vocal?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts,

Charles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It looks like I may have just found the cause of Abby's behavior. She may be in heat:

http://www.gmax.co.za/feel/pet/07/030722-pet.html

Specifically:

...She spends a good deal of time rolling on the floor and seems much more restless than usual. The cat's voice seems more piercing than usual and she may "call" for 1-2 days before she accepts the male.

The queen may vocalize excessively, sometimes crying in a loud and plaintive tone. She may roll on her back, becoming more docile and solicitous of petting or attention. ...
That describes her behavior to a T.

Charles

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
You have a one year old new cat that grew up in the home from where you adopted her; she has left her family, her surroundings, everything that was familiar with her and everyone she knew; she isn't spayed; she is timid; she isn't used to seeking affection;you have had her about 3 days; she isn't allowed to socialize yet with your cat; you are away from home during the day at work, and she is crying out as if looking for something.

Your new kitty is experiencing stress. She is lonely, she is feeling lost. It sounds like she was more socialized to the other animals in her former home than to the people and now she is totally isolated from them all. She is looking for the friends she had, for her former home, for anything that is familiar from her old house. She hasn't learned to seek her comfort in human companionship. For the first few days you need to find ways to reassure her that this new home is a friendly, loving, happy one full of affection and new friends to make up for what she has lost. She doesn't know that yet. She hasn't found anything to frighten her, but her whole life has just been turned upside down. Yes, this will make her seek her friends, calling out for then, trying to find something that responds to her. It is a symptom of her stress right now.

You will also want to get her into the vet as soon as you can as well, both to check out any possibility of a URI as well as getting her spayed. In the meantime, don't ignore her, but talk with her, play with her, cuddle her. When she starts to call, try and pick her up and reassure her for a while. Walk around the house and show things to her while carrying her. Do you have any way to get a hold of a blanet or something from her old home that still has its scent on it? You can put it in a place where she likes to sleep and let her know that is her 'security' place so she can feel some sense of familiarity. You will have to give her time - 3 days is only enough time to exacerbate her loneliness and not enough time to show her there is anything here that makes up for missing her friends and companions. Since she is so playful, really try interactive toys so she learns to associate her with a playmate as well. Hopefully, the introduction between her and the resident cat will happen relatively quickly, because I really feel this little girl wants and needs feline companionship as much as a human family.

Good luck with her.

Kathryn

kathryn41

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It looks like I may have just found the cause of Abby's behavior. She may be in heat:

That describes her behavior to a T.

And yes, she could very definitely be in heat!
:-)
Kathryn

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cman

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks Kathryn!

I've only been trying to ignore her because I didn't want to encourage her to meow for attention (if that makes any sense). I've read here how some people have had very vocal cats and they attributed it, at least partially, to constantly coming when the cat "calls" and they have "solved" it by ignoring the cat's meowing. Now that I think I understand what is going on, I'm going to show her a lot more attention and do like you suggested. (It was really hard to ignore her anyways - she's so cuttly.)

As far as getting a blanket or something from the previous owner, that sounds like a great idea and I'll check into that. The only problem is I sent them an email Friday letting them know how Abby did during the night (they really wanted to know), but I haven't heard anything back. I really hope they weren't just trying to dump the cat on me.

Thanks again for the idea. I'm working on the intro. Smokey (my resident cat) wasn't to pleased with the arrival of Abby. So, that's another reason I brought her out of the bedroom (and put him in it) last night. That way he'll get used to her scent without seeing her. He was a little mad about it and would barely play with me or his toys, but by this morning, he was pretty much his usual playful and fun self even though he was "stuck" in the bedroom with me and her scent all night. I know it'll work out just fine because he has been around cats a lot and done really well with them. That's one reason I got little Abby (they both needed someone - a human and a feline friend).

Charles