New cat introduction - scared and nervous old cat

bettie line

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, 

We've been looking through all sorts of forums and blogs for this issue but it seems that this issue isn't very common. The situation: one 7 year old rescue tortie (girl), who must have been through some trauma (very timid, scared, selective cat), but has come around so much - from hiding under chairs to lovely attentive cat, who allows belly rubs and long cuddle sessions (she won't ever be a lap cat though). She is still very playful and as she's alone most of the day when we're at work, so we thought we'd introduce a mate. We found this gentle, lovely 7 months year old silver tortie (girl) and thought we'd give it a go

We've followed all the usual introduction steps and it's been just over a week but we're struggling. One of the main problems - having them eat on either side of the door. The older cat will just not eat and she hides. Within a few days, she has become so suspicious of food that she's running away now when I get her dinner out. She is usually a highly food-driven cat and that's why this really worries me. I have stopped trying to feed her near the new cat's room for now. She also gets suspicious when I am getting treats. Even letting her eat in her normal sport, she doesn't eat all her food (which is very uncommon for her, she'd normally always ask for more). With food out of the equation I am just not sure how to 'appease' her.

The old cat will avoid getting near the door of the new cat. Old cat is mostly outside but now getting worried she'll turn stray for fear of coming inside to the new cat. So, today, we will try to keep her inside and swap between cats 'having' the house to themselves (mostly old cat will have the house as we don't want to leave the kitten unsupervised at this stage). Sadly old cat is not happy in the house though - she will hide somewhere. She hisses and at times growls at us (not just at the other cat/door). We have tried cat pheromones, which doesn't seem to have any effect on old cat. Thankfully new cat doesn't seem fazed by any of this!

Old cat had some good moments and seemed chilled out about it all after day 3/4 - we let her see the new cat. I really hope this wasn't too early and we made it impossible for them to ever get along. There is no aggression though. Old cat is scared and hisses a lot but doesn't attack. She's running away rather than attacking; new cat is also not aggressive at all. 

We know people say it may take months for them to get along. But we really don't think that's fair to either cat, old cat in particular. If she's just hiding around the house, not eating, not enjoying her life, it's just not an option. 

We just don't want to stress out our old kitty for longer than necessary. Are we too impatient? We just don't want to stress out old cat more than necessary, as said, she has been through trauma. What it comes down to: When do we know there's no hope and we should give up?

Any insights/experiences/suggestions would be so so welcome! 

Thanks so much,

Bettie

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bettie,

I am happy to help you through this.

Going through the formal introduction process at the right pace is really key. Sometimes it goes quicker sometimes it goes slower. We'll do what is necessary to make sure they get along.

Generically this situation is very common so don't worry.

We need to get them to associate each other with good things and to get them to realize that the other cat is not a threat. So we start with feeding on each side of a closed door. Now your cat is not wanting to get to close to the door just yet so start a ways away (anywhere she feels comfortable to eat even if it is really far away) and slowly move the food closer. If she refuses it is not the end of the world, we can get around it by using some scent swapping. But let's try feeding first to the closest point where she will eat. Then slowly (inches) move closer each day.

Please step up play in her area as much as possible as soon as possible. We want her to be confident and to know she still "owns" the territory. After a good play session feed treats. Slowing move the play a little closer to the door each day. I mean a half a foot. If she is really focused on the toy then she may be able to get a little closer. 

We don't want to "force" the older cat to the door, we want her to "discover" it. Hopefully using food but if food does not work then time.

Right now we don't not want them to see each other and we want to keep them in their separate areas (new cat in her room for now).

It is not uncommon for the resident cat to be most challenged in the adjustment. This is resident cat's territory and she has an "invader" in her territory. So that is why we want to take it slow and make a slow adjustment. Play helps in adjusting by building confidence and territorial security.

It sounds like their personalities are very good for them to get along. That is great. We just need to slowly let them each know that the other cat is not a threat to food source, safety, etc.

We don't want you cat hiding. So that is why we want to adjust slowly at her pace. So please step up play with her. Please no sight for now with new cat. please no site swapping for now (new cat has to stay in her closed room for now). We need to get resident cat acting normally before moving forward.

Cats can take on our emotions so please be as calm and confident and normal with the cats. 

Does the resident cat have cat trees to go on? Scratching posts to get her scent on? We want her to know she owns the territory. Play is key to that but so is going high in the world and getting her scent on scratching posts.

I have done a lot of introductions and I know you worry about the cats but trust me if we do this right and respond to the cats we are doing what is best for them. If I ever sense an issue I will immediately tell you.

It sounds like you have done a great job getting your older girl to be a normal cat. She will continue to respond to your love. 

I will be with you every step of the way. Please feel free to ask any questions any time. I am very confident we can make this work but it does take patience and time at times. We'll see how resident responds to the situation and adjust accordingly. We want her to know her life is not drastically changing and slowly let the change creep up on her.

Don't worry I am with you for as long as needed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bettie line

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much! I really wasn't sure what else to do. Just one little extra question...letting old cat out of the house or not? I felt like getting out of the house was like a relief for her. She'd leave as early as possible and would stay out all night if that was an option (we keep cats inside at night to protect wildlife).

Instinctively, I feel like the outdoors are another hiding 'spot' for her. When she's outside she's very happy (she even wanted food outside, i.e. far away from new kitty), but of course she's not going to get used to this other kitty in the house, or is she? I feel like depriving her of the outdoors will make her extra tense; at the same time, being outside will not provide any opportunity to get slowly acclimatized to new kitty. Thing is, if I let her out for a little while (e.g. before breakfast, hoping the hunger will make her return) she just won't come back for a long time. She doesn't trust me at all anymore. She used to be a kitty that would come running when called, now she hides under the porch :(  

I really appreciate your detailed response, thanks so much again!

Cheers,

Bettina 

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Bettina,

You are very welcome.

I am not experienced with letting cats in and out sadly. I have ferals and I have indoor former ferals. When I bring my ferals in they never go out again. So I just sadly do not have the experience on what is best.

Any change (not letting her out) could possibly cause issues. Having a new cat come in is a lot of change already so changing her routine as well could add to it. But I am not sure we should rely on my advice. I would highly suggest starting a new thread with this exact question. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable that probably do have the experience with this situation.  

I will say I truly believes she still trusts you. It is the new kitty she is suspicious of. She is reacting a bit more cautious than most so we just have to keep them totally separate and take it slowly. She will then build up the trust that the new cat is not a threat and then we can slowly introduce them. We need to get the older resident cat back to her normal behavior before we start pushing the introduction.

I wish I could be more help on the question of keeping her totally inside and maintaining the prior routine of indoor/outdoor. But please start a new thread and let's see what others think.

Cat do take on our emotions so please be as calm and confident and normal around her. Give her "eye kisses" as well to let her know you love her and trust her. Eye kisses are when you look at her and close your eyes slowly keeping them closed for 4 or 5 seconds then opening slowly.

Don't worry, we'll figure this out. 

Alanman1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,

We've been looking through all sorts of forums and blogs for this issue but it seems that this issue isn't very common. The situation: one 7 year old rescue tortie (girl), who must have been through some trauma (very timid, scared, selective cat), but has come around so much - from hiding under chairs to lovely attentive cat, who allows belly rubs and long cuddle sessions (she won't ever be a lap cat though). She is still very playful and as she's alone most of the day when we're at work, so we thought we'd introduce a mate. We found this gentle, lovely 7 months year old silver tortie (girl) and thought we'd give it a go

We've followed all the usual introduction steps and it's been just over a week but we're struggling. One of the main problems - having them eat on either side of the door. The older cat will just not eat and she hides. Within a few days, she has become so suspicious of food that she's running away now when I get her dinner out. She is usually a highly food-driven cat and that's why this really worries me. I have stopped trying to feed her near the new cat's room for now. She also gets suspicious when I am getting treats. Even letting her eat in her normal sport, she doesn't eat all her food (which is very uncommon for her, she'd normally always ask for more). With food out of the equation I am just not sure how to 'appease' her.

The old cat will avoid getting near the door of the new cat. Old cat is mostly outside but now getting worried she'll turn stray for fear of coming inside to the new cat. So, today, we will try to keep her inside and swap between cats 'having' the house to themselves (mostly old cat will have the house as we don't want to leave the kitten unsupervised at this stage). Sadly old cat is not happy in the house though - she will hide somewhere. She hisses and at times growls at us (not just at the other cat/door). We have tried cat pheromones, which doesn't seem to have any effect on old cat. Thankfully new cat doesn't seem fazed by any of this!

Old cat had some good moments and seemed chilled out about it all after day 3/4 - we let her see the new cat. I really hope this wasn't too early and we made it impossible for them to ever get along. There is no aggression though. Old cat is scared and hisses a lot but doesn't attack. She's running away rather than attacking; new cat is also not aggressive at all.

We know people say it may take months for them to get along. But we really don't think that's fair to either cat, old cat in particular. If she's just hiding around the house, not eating, not enjoying her life, it's just not an option.

We just don't want to stress out our old kitty for longer than necessary. Are we too impatient? We just don't want to stress out old cat more than necessary, as said, she has been through trauma. What it comes down to: When do we know there's no hope and we should give up?

Any insights/experiences/suggestions would be so so welcome!

Thanks so much,

Bettie[/QUOTE

Alanman1

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our current situation is so similar to what you were going through last year. I’m curious...how has it turned out?

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Alanman1,

Please let me know if you need any direct help or answers to any questions you may have.

Either message me or for the benefit of others start a new thread and let me know and I will respond on that thread.

KSV

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Bettina,

You are very welcome.

I am not experienced with letting cats in and out sadly. I have ferals and I have indoor former ferals. When I bring my ferals in they never go out again. So I just sadly do not have the experience on what is best.

Any change (not letting her out) could possibly cause issues. Having a new cat come in is a lot of change already so changing her routine as well could add to it. But I am not sure we should rely on my advice. I would highly suggest starting a new thread with this exact question. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable that probably do have the experience with this situation.

I will say I truly believes she still trusts you. It is the new kitty she is suspicious of. She is reacting a bit more cautious than most so we just have to keep them totally separate and take it slowly. She will then build up the trust that the new cat is not a threat and then we can slowly introduce them. We need to get the older resident cat back to her normal behavior before we start pushing the introduction.

I wish I could be more help on the question of keeping her totally inside and maintaining the prior routine of indoor/outdoor. But please start a new thread and let's see what others think.

Cat do take on our emotions so please be as calm and confident and normal around her. Give her "eye kisses" as well to let her know you love her and trust her. Eye kisses are when you look at her and close your eyes slowly keeping them closed for 4 or 5 seconds then opening slowly.

Don't worry, we'll figure this out.
I wonder if you feed the old cat after petting the newcomer so the old one smells the new cat on you and becomes more cautious. What do others think about petting the old cat after the new cat to transfer their smells on each other? Maybe do it gradually? First wash hands for a while and then don’t after interacting between them.

calicosrspecial

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the great advice KSV.

Anytime one an make a positive association (food for example) with the other cat (best to start with scent and as things progress then visual) it is always a positive. It should be done slowly and make sure it is a positive experience. If you ever sense a negative reaction then take a step back and then progress slowly forward at a point in the future.

Intros take time even under the best situations. The key is to go through the process and to take it slow and make ever encounter between the cats as positive as possible trying to avoid any negative encounters.