New Cat Introduction Questions

Cjacob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi I’m hoping someone has some advice I have an 11month old neutered male named James and just adopted a 1 1/2 year old spayed female. We have set up her safe room and once the growling and hissing stopped through the door we let James into the room. They seem to get along fine there but when Trixie leaves to explore the living room James starts following, blocking and last night went after her. How do I get him to know she lives in the whole house not just her room? I have Comfort Zone diffusers plugged in since this morning and have been bringing the blankets she sleeps on into the living room. Thanks in advance!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
One of the things I did so that my new cat could get used to exploring the house and build confidence was that I would close the resident cat, so in your case James, into the room that your new cat has been staying in. So essentially swap them out. That way James has a chance to smell and explore all the scents that the new kitty has been leaving, and the new cat can explore the rest of the house without James blocking or being mean. Do this a few times till you see that the new cat is familiar with the house and surroundings. That should build her confidence as well, and James will get his chance to be nosy and explore her room and get used to her scent.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Cjacob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I’m going to try that tonight, she still only comes out at night when it’s quiet

Cjacob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks I hope so too! I think baby steps will do it I am optimistic. I just brought out her blanket she’s been sleeping on into the living g room and he’s laying on it now. Hoping the scent swapping of the room will make a difference

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the new family member! You got some great advice, the only thing I can think to add is that at some point they will probably have to settle the dominant issue. Do you think that could what James is doing? When you say he went after her, what did that entail? Are we talking a all out attack complete with blood? Could he have been trying to play?

Cjacob

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Congrats on the new family member! You got some great advice, the only thing I can think to add is that at some point they will probably have to settle the dominant issue. Do you think that could what James is doing? When you say he went after her, what did that entail? Are we talking a all out attack complete with blood? Could he have been trying to play?
I don’t think he was trying to play he gave one of those awful cat fight meows and chased after her I grabbed him and put him in the bathroom before he could get to her. She won’t fight back she just runs and hides when he challenges her so I’m afraid they won’t settle the dominance issues she will just end up getting bullied by him

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...have you tried giving treats or wet food to them on either side of the door or something like it? The idea would be to teach him that good things come from having her around. I would do the same once they are both in the main house together. Another thing I would be sure to do when they are next together is to play with them with a toy like a wand toy. I don’t know if this works as well with cats as it does with dogs, but you might want to start doing things to show James that he is still top cat by starting with him when they get treats, or petting him first ect. Honestly I’m far from a expert but it is something to try

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She went outside his comfort zone. It will take weeks if not months to get them to tolerate each other, they need to get used to the fact there are two of them now and learn to get along.all you are describing is perfectly normal. Lock the boy up and let her explore and then let him out and put her in. You might try keeping one in a carrier or cage so they can see/smell each other without actual contact. Then swap taht out. She will eventually get confident enough to stand up to him, girls are the manners teachers and set the limits. He will come around, she is after all the newcomer here and on HIS turf. It will happen, it just takes time. Mine took almost a year to co exist, now three years later they are all friends. Growls, hisses and even some tussles that don't involve deep bites and blood are perfectly normal. Give one of them a high perch they can call their own when it gets to be too much, they need their spaces to feel safe. All the luck. PS if one has to go to the vet for a check up, etc. , bring them both, you don't want to have to start all over. The smells from the vet make them not recognize each other all over again. I bring all 4 of mine in, fun!

2rescuekitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hmm...have you tried giving treats or wet food to them on either side of the door or something like it? The idea would be to teach him that good things come from having her around. I would do the same once they are both in the main house together. Another thing I would be sure to do when they are next together is to play with them with a toy like a wand toy. I don’t know if this works as well with cats as it does with dogs, but you might want to start doing things to show James that he is still top cat by starting with him when they get treats, or petting him first ect. Honestly I’m far from a expert but it is something to try
The wand thing I can attest to does work! :) I did that when I was trying to get my resident kitty used to the new member of the family...At first she would sit there and watch and hiss anytime the toy got close to her but after a few days of playing with Toby in front of her she decided she too wanted to join in....lots of praise and kisses and treats help with the process too!

Timmer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I hope it works out for you. I'm not wanting to be a wet blanket here but I brought a new cat into the home and it never worked out, but they were older cats. You got some great training ideas. If you are married or have a mate, I think that helps because the cats are also distracted by the humans in the house and like in my case, I live alone, so it was a constant battle with them who gets mom.
Back in the day when I had a boyfriend, I would hold the resident cat and he held the new cat. We sat on the couch next to each other so they could smell each other. Eventually we put them down and things were fine. Maybe hissing the first day but after that, fine. If you have a friend that could help you out doing something like that, it might be beneficial.