New Cat Introduction And How It Worked Out

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It wasn't too long ago, roughly May, that I posted about introducing a new cat into my home and the brief negative experience I had with her meeting the resident cat. It has actually worked out and I wanted to share a few pictures of them together. I was unable to create a long transition period and the meeting process had to be sped up but what ultimately united them was play time. In fact they seemed to come together rather quickly over the impossible conquest of catching the red dot of a laser pointer. Things can seem uneasy at times because one will sometimes want to play when the other wants to rest but other than that things are fine.

The new cat (Missy) at the top of the cat tree.
pixandmiss1.jpg

The new cat (Missy) roaring to assert her new dominance over a scratching post while the resident cat (Pixy) shudders in fear.
pixandmiss2.jpg

Missy putting her arm around Pixy while they look out the door during the night.
pixandmiss3.jpg

I read a lot of helpful advice on this site and am thankful for such a community to exist. It looks like things will work out for these two. Just thought I would share some photos of the new cat and resident cat, both residents now, living together.

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it worked out but surprised that playing with them worked. When I play with my two boys, one of them watches and the other plays. They will switch off here and there, but both of them don't really play with me at the same time.

Cat introductions simply aren't "by the book." Sometimes you have to take it slower because of the cats and sometimes you have to rush it because, well, you have a life to live.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
You just never know how intros are going to go. Personality, age of the cats, past history etc all make a difference. I have had two cats become best friends the moment they saw one another and others that lived together for years and never grew to even tolerate one another. It is great when it goes so well. Congrats on the new addition

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm glad it worked out but surprised that playing with them worked. When I play with my two boys, one of them watches and the other plays. They will switch off here and there, but both of them don't really play with me at the same time.

Cat introductions simply aren't "by the book." Sometimes you have to take it slower because of the cats and sometimes you have to rush it because, well, you have a life to live.
They don't so much as play together but are somewhat united under a common cause. It is much more like taking turns as you described and when introducing them it seemed to alleviate the tension.

2furbabies

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello, how long did it take for them to get to this point? Did they ever fight initially? I'm struggling with introducing a new cat (well it's been 2 months now), to a resident cat and so far things are progressing very slowly, if at all... sigh

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CommonCatOwner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It was only about a week or so before they started hanging out together. It could have been sooner but I was very weary about them not liking one another. The room I had setup for the new cat was very hot, even with the AC on and a fan moving air around. I wanted to have a slower transition but had no choice but to open the room up. The resident cat is not really aggressive nor is the new cat however they did fight a bit at first. There was never any fight to the death type engagement but claws were out on a few occasions. "They are definitely not playing" was said more than once. But I think me playing with them, using the laser pointer along with other toys helped them understand neither was a threat to each other. I believe this really helped out and sped up the process of introduction. They are the same age, different breeds, from different situations.