New cat intro need advice

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Our resident cat is a sweet blob who became an only cat after her cat brother passed away in October. We did not realize how stressed she had been with her cat brother chasing her, until he passed. Once he was gone her demeanor changed and she became a relaxed cat full of snuggles.

A neighbor's cat, needed to be re-homed and we offered to take her in as her character seemed very similar to our resident cat. She had been basically living under her owners bed for the past three years after they got a new dog.

So I followed all instructions. Put new cat in our guest room by herself for several days, plugged in a calming diffuser, swapped blankets to exchange smells, then installed cat doors so they could see each other but not interact.

And here is where I need your advice. Although resident cat is super sweet, anytime new cat gets close to the gate resident cat will run up at full speed to chase her back deeper inside the guest room. And she will spend hours by the gate staring at new cat. I cannot figure out if she is scared (most likely) or mean. But now new cat is becoming scared of resident cat.

I am able to feed them together twice a day about four feet apart which goes well although I do stay right next to them.

It has been three weeks and things are not progressing. I tried CBD but that did not seem to make a difference. Has anyone had luck with a calming collar. I welcome any suggestions.

Emmajane

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It’s not really the same thing but this might help. When I first got my kitten, Tali, we kept her isolated for a few weeks and then introduced her to our dogs. We have two, one is a similar breed to a yorkie, Deeks, and one this is a Doberman, Zander. Her and Deeks got along and played but her and Zander were scared of each other. I think Zander was more scared than she was. He’s a big baby. Anyway, we just had to let them do it at their own pace. It took months for them to become friends, they slowly became okay with the others presence. For the first while they would stare at each other from a distance. Then they started to smell each other.

We pretty much just accepted they would never be friends then one day Tali jumped on the bed and Zander was already on it. She didn’t run, she layed down, but she was so close to the end I was worried she was going to fall off. This happened a couple times and eventually they realized that they weren’t going to hurt each other and they are now best friends and sleep next to each other. They don’t play together or anything but they are sweet to each other.

Maybe the resident cat is worried the new cat will be like her brother. She may be scared she’s about to be stressed again and is trying to stop that from happening again. I really hope the cats learn to love each other just be patient, it may take a while. Please give us an update if the situation changes.

These photos were taken earlier this week. Just thought I would share. They are super cute.
49837A96-027C-42CA-98E1-870EF10AF195.jpeg
E74C293E-D47D-4675-87E1-5E10A5CFD7B6.jpeg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
It has been three weeks and things are not progressing.
Three weeks isn't very long in a cat's world, especially when you're talking about introducing cats. Introductions can take weeks, even months. And, yes, sometimes, the cats never get along. But don't worry about that yet, as you're just in the beginning stages.

The new cat getting scared of the resident cat isn't good, though. This could lead to her being stressed, which is another problem. Right now, it might be wise to go back to step one, with keeping them separated, and proceeding slowly.

This TCS article should be helpful: How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction | TheCatSite

There's also:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide | TheCatSite
Introducing Cats To Cats | TheCatSite

And Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – Cat Articles

Good luck. And thank you for bringing the neighbour's cat into your home. I hope in time your 2 cats will be friends.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Being around each other without a way to interact is good right now. Your resident cat sees an invader and is being a bully to scare her off. Exchange toys and sleeping blankets often. A calming collar wouldn't hurt, I would try it. This WILL happen, it will just take several months. your resident cat owns the place, and your new one is scared and unsure in unfamiliar surroundings. Give the new one lots of reassurance and attention, tell your other cat NO when it charges and let her see you petting the other cat. This will take several months, mine took almost a year, but it DID happen, so don't give up!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for everyone's advice. There is not a whole lot of progress, but I am able to move their feeding bowls closer and closer. It is good that they are both hungry hippos! Hopefully this will merge into more positive experiences.

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Has anyone used anti anxiety meds for their fearful cat?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Our resident cat is a sweet blob who became an only cat after her cat brother passed away in October. We did not realize how stressed she had been with her cat brother chasing her, until he passed. Once he was gone her demeanor changed and she became a relaxed cat full of snuggles.

A neighbor's cat, needed to be re-homed and we offered to take her in as her character seemed very similar to our resident cat. She had been basically living under her owners bed for the past three years after they got a new dog.

So I followed all instructions. Put new cat in our guest room by herself for several days, plugged in a calming diffuser, swapped blankets to exchange smells, then installed cat doors so they could see each other but not interact.

And here is where I need your advice. Although resident cat is super sweet, anytime new cat gets close to the gate resident cat will run up at full speed to chase her back deeper inside the guest room. And she will spend hours by the gate staring at new cat. I cannot figure out if she is scared (most likely) or mean. But now new cat is becoming scared of resident cat.

I am able to feed them together twice a day about four feet apart which goes well although I do stay right next to them.

It has been three weeks and things are not progressing. I tried CBD but that did not seem to make a difference. Has anyone had luck with a calming collar. I welcome any suggestions.
Has anyone used anti anxiety meds for their fearful cat?
Hi C colaradocatlady ...I have not used any anti anxiety meds for a fearful cat...so can't really help with answering that question.

But how are things going now?
Is the new cat still hiding in her room?
Does the resident cat still charge at the gate, when she sees her? Does she still stare at the new cat?

Most of what you are seeing is the usual reactions in Cat-to-Cat introductions.
Reading those Articles that rubysmama rubysmama provided are extremely helpful in giving extra tips for dealing with cat intros.

Which stage of the cat-intro process are you on now?
Can you tell us their ages, and names?

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It has now been 10 months and there has been no improvement. The cats eat together but I have to sit close by as the old one always wants to chase the new one. I have gates everywhere to keep them apart. Basically one lives downstairs, and the other one upstairs. I know the chasing is only because the old cat is scared, but I cannot get her to stop. The new one will hide under the bed for a couple of hours after being chased. Ugh, it is exhausting. I have tried CBD, calming collars and wall plugs. I would hate to re-home the new cat since she came to us as a six year old and is finally setting in. What else can I try?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is the chaser just trying to play? No growling?

Honestly, I'd take all the gates down and see if they can get past it. If there is no actual fighting, and the stress levels are not high enough to cause problems like not eating, hot spots, litter accidents, they can often progress with time together. When there are only tiny snippets of time together, the one that wants to play is always go-go-go and the other cat only sees the other cat as a chaser. With time together, the chaser will calm down and they will have other types of interactions. Generally speaking, if there is no fighting, and you let them be together, then the worst case is what I call "the long slow crawl to toleration (or pretty close)".

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's not playing, but Jinx chases the new cat away. She is scared and wants her gone. She never follows up with an attack though. It is more like a fly-by, chase the new cat under the bed and then run away as fast as she can.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So like a get-away charge? That happens sometimes. After 10 months, I still think you ought to try total immersion. There may be increased stress, possibly for a few months. But it should put you on the long slow crawl to toleration. And sometimes you get lucky, and its almost like a switch gets flipped.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree, let them spend more time together and see what happens. There might be one big hair flying fight, and then things will calm down. If there is no fight, just the chasing, that is all the better. Get a stiff piece of cardboard to stick between them if a fight does break out, keep it handy. my Chrissy ran for months, then one day she stood her ground and everything was fine after that. in fact SHE became queen of the house!

colaradocatlady

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your suggestions, I'll give it a try after the holidays!