New Cat Hiding Spots

Notsure9999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey all,

I adopted a cat about 2 weeks ago now, he's very shy but I've been working with him a lot and he's getting much more used to me, playing. pets, headbutts, etc. Over the first few days he hid in a box (which he did at the shelter) and was fine with being pet when he was there. The next few days he switched to a piece of furniture I had in the safe room for him. But the day after that he found an extra mattress leaning up against the wall and that's the only spot he hides\sleeps in now.

One of my parents visited him when he was in the box and he was fine with being pet. But my other parent came over to try and say hi today and he was behind the mattress and wouldn't even let me pet him and just scooted out of my reach :(. First time he's done that.

Should I just continue to let him hide there? Is that just his favorite spot now? Or should I move the mattress and see if he picks one of the other hiding spots? Do shy cats warm up to visitors ever or do I have a cat that's going to avoid everyone but me?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not move his hiding space. Until he feels comfortable with you and your home he is going to hide somewhere and if he isn’t bothering anything by hiding behind the mattress then no reason to make him more nervous by forcing out of a place he feels safe.

I would ignore him and go about your normal activities until he comes out and approaches you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Notsure9999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would not move his hiding space. Until he feels comfortable with you and your home he is going to hide somewhere and if he isn’t bothering anything by hiding behind the mattress then no reason to make him more nervous by forcing out of a place he feels safe.

I would ignore him and go about your normal activities until he comes out and approaches you.
Okay, I'll leave his hiding spot there.

He is currently downstairs (finished comfortable basement) and I usually go down to play with him and pet him at different times during the day. A few days ago I opened the door and the past few nights he's been exploring upstairs but has never been up during the day or with me, he's scared of my floor creaking I think. When I'm down there he will (normally) come out and play with a bit of coaxing. Would you recommend less visits at this point and wait for him to come up to me even if it's upstairs?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it’s fine to go down and visit him provided he is coming out on his own for the petting or playing. And letting him explore at night is great. He will be checking out your space and getting comfortable with the upstairs sounds and smells while you sleep and one of these days will decide to move up closer to you. I don’t know how you feel about leaving your bedroom door open but he may check out you and your room if you do. Bedrooms are so full of our scents that cats are drawn to them.

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Keep doing exactly what you are doing. Do not try to force him to come upstairs at all. He will do this when he is ready. It is a great sign that he is exploring at night. Also ask your family members to just hang out in the room with him. He needs to be allowed to decide to initiate contact. He will get used to other people over time once he is more adjusted to his new home. Two weeks is a short amount of time to a shy cat. Your family members can try playing with him but should not pet him until he is ready. Also when you go in to visit him sit on the floor.

Notsure9999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think it’s fine to go down and visit him provided he is coming out on his own for the petting or playing. And letting him explore at night is great. He will be checking out your space and getting comfortable with the upstairs sounds and smells while you sleep and one of these days will decide to move up closer to you. I don’t know how you feel about leaving your bedroom door open but he may check out you and your room if you do. Bedrooms are so full of our scents that cats are drawn to them.
Recently I would talk to him and put my hand out around a foot away in a fist (I read they don't like fingers outstretched) until he came to me and headbutted my hand. Yesterday was the first day he came out on his own...of course it was when I was moving a bag so it scared him :\ lol. Today was just weird, he was abnormally antisocial to me.

My room is upstairs as well and I currently keep it closed. It's not a big house at all but considering out shy he is I didn't want to overwhelm him with rooms, I was planning on opening up my door this week. I didn't think that he would probably recongize my smell though! That's a good point, I'll open it up tonight or tomorrow!

Thanks for your input, this is my first pet that's actually mine and not a roommates or family so I'm just wanting to make sure I'm doing everything right. I didn't want a shy cat but this one just caught my attention haha.

Notsure9999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Keep doing exactly what you are doing. Do not try to force him to come upstairs at all. He will do this when he is ready. It is a great sign that he is exploring at night. Also ask your family members to just hang out in the room with him. He needs to be allowed to decide to initiate contact. He will get used to other people over time once he is more adjusted to his new home. Two weeks is a short amount of time to a shy cat. Your family members can try playing with him but should not pet him until he is ready. Also when you go in to visit him sit on the floor.
I've been using treats as rewards as well as petting, is it okay to try to get him to go up a few stairs and reward with a treat or just let him do it on his own? He explores A LOT at night haha, not sure if he's just much more confident then or if that's just when he's awake more.
Well my family members were just visiting me. Do you think maybe getting a item of clothing from them and leaving it around might help him get used to their scent or would that confuse him? Ahhhhh, I didn't think about that, next time they come over I'll just try playing and not going to pet him.
I've always sat on the floor with him until a few days ago. I've slowly stood up a bit and he will run away but I'll talk to him and bend over with my fist out and he will come back to me purring, then I pet and praise him. He still hesitates a bit when I stand up but I've just be walking slowly on the other side of the room from him and talking to him and he's getting more comfortable...he even followed me around a bit!
Okay I'm glad to hear two weeks is a short time, just wanted to make sure I'm doing all I can to make him feel comfortable and loved. I just want him to be happy here haha :)

Thanks!!

catlover73

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I moved into my current home in 2001 all 3 my cats hid in my basement for a few weeks. They were not scared of me or hubby but would not come upstairs at all. We spent time with them in their space and let them get used to the sounds of their new home. It took them two weeks to even start exploring at night. One of them finally decided to come to the top of the stairs and started meowing at my hubby when he was walking by. He decided to pick her up and place her on the couch next to him. She decided to stay and watch tv with him. I guess she recognized the smell of our couch. Hubby was also able to carry her to the bedroom the same night and she slept with us. We had the same furniture and did not wash any of our blankets before the move. The next morning when hubby and I came down to have some coffee Baby-T was sitting at the top of the stairs talking to my other two cats. They waited until we went out to run errands to come upstairs. One of them hid in a kitchen cabinet and was found by my dad when he came to visit later that day. Claude ran upstairs and hid under our bed for the rest of the day. Tegato did not come out of the cabinet until we went to bed. The next morning when I woke up everyone was asleep on our bed. My cats were not used to stairs. Their home before was a one bedroom apartment. My current home is a three level town home with a lot more space then they were used to.

I would not force the issue with coming upstairs. You can try doing treats one step at a time but allow your baby to go back down-stairs if he gets scared. I would just talk to him softly and try leading with treats one step at a time. If he ignores the treats then he is not ready yet and needs more time to decide it is safe to be upstairs.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

Notsure9999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I moved into my current home in 2001 all 3 my cats hid in my basement for a few weeks. They were not scared of me or hubby but would not come upstairs at all. We spent time with them in their space and let them get used to the sounds of their new home. It took them two weeks to even start exploring at night. One of them finally decided to come to the top of the stairs and started meowing at my hubby when he was walking by. He decided to pick her up and place her on the couch next to him. She decided to stay and watch tv with him. I guess she recognized the smell of our couch. Hubby was also able to carry her to the bedroom the same night and she slept with us. We had the same furniture and did not wash any of our blankets before the move. The next morning when hubby and I came down to have some coffee Baby-T was sitting at the top of the stairs talking to my other two cats. They waited until we went out to run errands to come upstairs. One of them hid in a kitchen cabinet and was found by my dad when he came to visit later that day. Claude ran upstairs and hid under our bed for the rest of the day. Tegato did not come out of the cabinet until we went to bed. The next morning when I woke up everyone was asleep on our bed. My cats were not used to stairs. Their home before was a one bedroom apartment. My current home is a three level town home with a lot more space then they were used to.

I would not force the issue with coming upstairs. You can try doing treats one step at a time but allow your baby to go back down-stairs if he gets scared. I would just talk to him softly and try leading with treats one step at a time. If he ignores the treats then he is not ready yet and needs more time to decide it is safe to be upstairs.
Haha so it sounds like mine's being pretty normal then! Sounds like you guys had quite the adventure!!

Thanks for your advice and input, much appreciated!

Notsure9999

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are doing great with him. I wouldn’t worry at all right now about how he reacts to visitors. Until a cat is fully adjusted to you and their new home, there is no way of judging how they will react to strangers in the long run.
Ahhhh that makes sense I suppose, I'll try not to worry about it too much and just keep on working on him feeling more and more comfortable :)

Thanks for your help!!!