New Cat Help

Ecsasquatch

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all,

I'm new around here, but I love what I see so far! This looks to be an excellent community to join and be apart of!

That being said, I took in little Bolin about a week ago. He is a 9 month old kitten who had to leave his original home due to a family member's allergies. He seems like a great cat so far! Very agile, and from what I observe a very good natured cat. He grew up around young children, and he still possess an almost gentle quality, but DOES NOT like to be picked up, I can only assume because of what the kid used to do. He also associates misfortunes with being my doing, such as falling off the chair or getting his claw stuck. He will try and bite after helping/checking up on him, and will brood around for awhile. However, whenever I stand up, he immediately drops EVERYTHING to come and brush my legs, even while I walk, and even when he seems angry at me. It isn't a big deal, but being a large framed individual in a small hallway I worry about stepping on him. My last concern is with him crying and screaming every time there is a door in between me and him. Strangely, whenever he hears a door being opened he rushes to go into it, such as a closet or bed room. Sometimes I need to do things without him glued to me/trying to enter every door/space I open, but this also compounds the problem with him shredding my arms to bits after trying to move him. I apologize for the winded post, but my questions are:

How can I get him used to being picked up?
How can I walk without him ghosting me/rushing into every door open, and why does he do this?
Is there a way to get him not to cry when I'm not in the same room?

Thank you so much for your advice and help!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi, and welcome to TCS :wave3:

Bolin sounds absolutely adorable :redheartpump: He's very lucky to have found such a good home.

Did you get him from his old family or from a shelter? Especially if the latter, his separation anxiety is almost certainly due to his being rehomed. Remember that it's still very early days for you both, so anxiety on his part is very natural - going to a new home is always stressful at first, and this should die down over time, as he relaxes and realises that you're not going anywhere and that he's there to stay. The needy behaviour (like shadowing you so closely) should also settle over time. It sounds like it was love at first sight on his part - it's a very special thing to form such a close bond so fast :lovecat:
Separation Anxiety in Cats

Plenty of interactive playtime will strengthen your bond further, allow him to direct that anxious energy in a positive way, and help him gain confidence in himself and his territory - especially if that playtime is followed by a meaty treat, completing the 'hunt'.
How and why do cats play?
Playing With Your Cat: 10 Things You Need To Know

Getting him comfortable being picked up will take time. Some cats just don't like to be held, and that's ok, but there are times (such as getting them into a carrier) when it's necessary. My girl HATED being picked up, but I just kept doing it randomly, picking times when she was relaxed but awake (such as stood on a table or windowsill talking to me). I started with just holding her for a second or two, and gradually increased the time. She still doesn't like it (and can still be hard to catch), but she'll tolerate it now for short periods.

Look at how you're holding him, too. Most cats don't like to be 'babied' (though there are always exceptions :winkcat:). Generally, the best approach is to have their front paws on your shoulder, with their bum supported in the opposite arm. This way, they don't feel so trapped, and so find it easier to accept.

Most cats have a fascination with open doors - each new door opened is a new place to explore, especially when they're in new surroundings. Having a toy on had to direct him away from the door (or your legs) is the easiest solution. A laser pointer is ideal, if he likes it, or else try a wand toy, such as Da Bird, Cat Catcher etc. He's still getting to know his new home, and you're his security blanket :winkcat: These behaviours will both settle with time.

Lastly, many cats don't like their claws being messed with, even if you're helping them. I usually get hit (or at least glared at) for my pains when I unhook my girl's claws from something. So long as its a (gentle) warning bite or swipe, I wouldn't worry about it. Training him to have his claws clipped may help - if nothing else, it should reduce the amount he gets caught up - but that can be a long process. Take it slow, do NOT try to do all the claws at once until he's more comfortable with the process, and be lavish with praise (during) and treats (straight after). Staying calm and relaxed yourself will make a big difference, too.
How To Best Take Care Of Cat Claws

Mystikal kitten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome to the cat site. Where you'll get answers to your questions no matter what the question is from very knowledgeable people. I myself am just learning but I try to be of some assistance also.