New Cat having mushy poo

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m new here. My new cat is having a mix of formed and unformed poo. The f poo is a bit mushy. He’s about 1.5 years old and big and healthy and eating normally.

i had an experience with a kitten years ago that had FIP which involved unformed mushy poo so I’m a bit paranoid and scared of mushy poo when it comes to cats!
I’ve only had this cat for about 5 days now, am I being paranoid about the mushy poo? 🥲

He’s currently getting Science diet sensitive stomach Dry food and Instinct Rabbit wet food. Is it possible that cheap/bad food he was fed before I got him is still working it’s way out of his system?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi, welcome!
Has he been seen by the shelter vet, or your own vet?
Hi Furballsmom, I plan to bring him to the vet next week or so. he’s eating a lot so maybe it could be parasites or worms? After experiencing a kitten with FIP which started 1st with months of off and on again mushy poo, I’m scared of cats having diahrea or soft poo. It’s odd because some of his poo was formed but mushy/wet inside but again today there was a diahrea like clump too 😟☹ It’s only been some days of me having got hi from the shelter though.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree that a change in foods could very well be causing this. You could try adding a probiotic to his food to see if that helps. Or find out what they were feeding him at the Shelter and add that back into his diet and slowly introduce the new foods. Did you ask the shelter if he had this issue there?

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I agree that a change in foods could very well be causing this. You could try adding a probiotic to his food to see if that helps. Or find out what they were feeding him at the Shelter and add that back into his diet and slowly introduce the new foods. Did you ask the shelter if he had this issue there?
The shelter is hard to reach as in they have a recording, rather than have people answer the phones. I’m hoping it’s because of the new food, however it’s been about 6 days now of a mix of formed and unformed poo. No one else experienced this?

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Lots of people have cats with formed and unformed stools. It seems to be a common theme among new cat owners. If I were you, I wouldn't automatically think this is something similar to your last cat, although I know that's hard to do. It could even be stress on his part. I'm wondering, is there a reason you are feeding him Sensitive Stomach food? Did the shelter mention he had one?

First thing is to get him to the Vet for a baseline visit, as all new cat owners should do. Have him checked for parasites while there, so take in a stool sample. Ask them the best way to do that when you make the appointment. I would also leave a message at the Shelter asking about this issue and find out what they fed him. I'm guessing they will call you back. Then get yourself some S. Boulardi either from on-line or a health food store and sprinkle 1/2 capsule into his wet food twice a day and see if that helps.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Lots of people have cats with formed and unformed stools. It seems to be a common theme among new cat owners. If I were you, I wouldn't automatically think this is something similar to your last cat, although I know that's hard to do. It could even be stress on his part. I'm wondering, is there a reason you are feeding him Sensitive Stomach food? Did the shelter mention he had one?

First thing is to get him to the Vet for a baseline visit, as all new cat owners should do. Have him checked for parasites while there, so take in a stool sample. Ask them the best way to do that when you make the appointment. I would also leave a message at the Shelter asking about this issue and find out what they fed him. I'm guessing they will call you back. Then get yourself some S. Boulardi either from on-line or a health food store and sprinkle 1/2 capsule into his wet food twice a day and see if that helps.
I’m feeding him Sensitive stomach dry food because my other cat and previous ones were on that and it always agreed with them. He eats it up and it appears he loves it.

I do plan to bring a poop sample to his vet appointment and get him tested for worms/parasites. It’s been about 6 days so far of formed poo with clumps of mushy ☹. I just hope he’s ok!

Elvgrengrl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello, I’m new here. My new cat is having a mix of formed and unformed poo. The f poo is a bit mushy. He’s about 1.5 years old and big and healthy and eating normally.

i had an experience with a kitten years ago that had FIP which involved unformed mushy poo so I’m a bit paranoid and scared of mushy poo when it comes to cats!
I’ve only had this cat for about 5 days now, am I being paranoid about the mushy poo? 🥲

He’s currently getting Science diet sensitive stomach Dry food and Instinct Rabbit wet food. Is it possible that cheap/bad food he was fed before I got him is still working it’s way out of his system?
Hey there. I thought I'd check in and see how things were going. I brought home a 9 month boy cat from a shelter 10 days ago. I did the slow switch with the dry food, but have continued feeding him the wet food he had at the shelter. His overnight poos are formed. But he'll use the box midday and have super soft and super smelly poo. He did have tapeworms which he was treated for at the vet visit a week ago. I'm going to do a fecal this week. My last cat had digestive issues that ultimately took his life so I understand the worry you were experiencing.

CatMom311

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey there. I thought I'd check in and see how things were going. I brought home a 9 month boy cat from a shelter 10 days ago. I did the slow switch with the dry food, but have continued feeding him the wet food he had at the shelter. His overnight poos are formed. But he'll use the box midday and have super soft and super smelly poo. He did have tapeworms which he was treated for at the vet visit a week ago. I'm going to do a fecal this week. My last cat had digestive issues that ultimately took his life so I understand the worry you were experiencing.
Elvgrengri, I rehomed that cat for other reasons. I would, however, take diarrhea very serious. Try different foods. My other cat, for example, can't handle tapioca starch and some other additives. Also, Purina cat food has given my cat diarrhea in the past. It could also be parasites or worms or in the worst case scenario a virus or illness.