New cat has black crusties around mouth

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So a new development in the Jonesy saga: today I noticed that he has some black crust around his mouth. He's 1 year old (we think, dude's paws are HUGE though so I'm starting to wonder if he's younger.) He's eating and playing normally, had some mild diarrhea last night but I did give him a new flavor of churu treats and had to use a different brand of wet food since PetSmart was out of our usual. He eats wet food only. I did notice a hairball on the bathroom floor this morning; it seemed to just be a hairball and I cleaned it up. He is shedding a lot, I'm still getting him used to being brushed so I wasn't surprised at the hairball. He has been using silicone/plastic dishes since we got him. He is due for another flea treatment so I'll be picking up some advantage in the next few days, he seems a little itchy.

I have the cabinets with dangerous chemicals locked up. I looked around the rooms he frequents and nothing looks out of place/chewed on. I unplug all the cords in a room before letting him be there unsupervised.

I need to get him in for another FVRCP dose in the next few weeks anyways but I figured I'd ask here for now since the shortage for both emergency and nonemergency visits here in the PNW right now is WILD. I'll post a pic if I can get one.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He just took a regular, non-diarrhea poop if that helps anything. I.e. I don't think it's something he ingested if his poop isn't frightening.

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's around the corners of his mouth, I forgot to mention that. He doesn't want me to get a good look at it 🙄 I was going to try to wipe it off with a warm rag but he wasn't having it. It kind of looks like dried drool but dark, and again I have noticed him itching at the sides of his face. I am behind on his flea treatment by about a month and a half, I think I should have success getting spot on on him with a lick treat at the ready. He doesn't flinch when I touch it, he just generally doesn't want to be restrained.

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm just very anxious when it comes to health stuff because of what happened to Julian. Should've seen me freaking out about his neuter incision a couple months ago 🥲

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the dried stuff around his mouth is similar in color to his food, he may just not be cleaning himself well enough. You also mentioned his dishes are not ceramic or stainless steel - those are the best for keeping down bacterial growth. The flea treatment may help to some degree. But him scratching at the sides of his mouth means something about that area is bothering him. Maybe he needs his claws trimmed too?

Keep up your search on possibilities, get his flea treatment on him, and if nothing else works, you have the upcoming FVRCP dose in the next few weeks where you can have the vet take a closer look.

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's definitely darker than his wet food but then again when it has time to dry out... It could be the same color. It's on both sides equally and closer to the corners. It's definitely crusty as some has come off. I'm wondering if when he threw up that hairball the saliva stuck to the fur around and he didn't clean it well, almost like when they get eye boogies that turn black. He also rubs his face on EVERYTHING so I wouldn't be surprised if he found something just slightly too rough and went to town. He's also orange so it could look darker than I'm used to.

He's currently chilling on our bed after a pretty positive gate visit with our other cat. I'll pick up the treatment tomorrow and make sure that FVRCP dose is scheduled. He is a bit of a terror at the vet so I'm not looking forward to that 😭

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll change his dishes too just to be sure.

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Cats rub the sides of their face on us because their marking us with scent glands. However there’s another set of glands that aren’t so well known called the molar glands which are at the corners of the mouth, and really sensitive, in some cats there’s a black secretion that they use to mark with. Get a damp cotton round and gently rub a corner of his mouth, see if he acts like he’s enjoying it

Julesbiscuits

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just for anyone who might look this up later: it was totally cat acne. We started using a metal food bowl and keeping it fastidiously clean and eventually he groomed off the remaining gunk! We can use plastic food puzzles as long as they are thoroughly cleaned before use and picked up when he's done.