New Cat Chasing Resident Cat

SRH800

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I’m new to this site and looking for some advice.
I have a 16 month old male cat and have recently adopted an older female cat. I’ve kept them apart for a couple of weeks, done the scent swapping etc but now it’s come to them meeting she doesn’t like him at all. There was lots of hissing from her which I know is normal, she would hiss then run upstairs so I thought she was just scared. My male cat is the most gentle and chilled out cat and would just look at her.
She’s been living upstairs and him downstairs. She’s started coming downstairs more so I was hoping they would see more of each other and get used to each other. But now she’s started chasing him as soon as she lays eyes on him. When she hears him come in (he has a bell on his collar) she runs down and chases him out. He’s just put his face in the cat flap to come in and she launched herself at the cat flap so he couldn’t even come in the house.
How am I supposed to get them to even stay in the same room as each other so they can even try and get used to each other?
I’ve no idea of the history of the new cat. I took her from someone who lived on a busy road, they didn’t want her and she was just out in the road all the time. She’s extremely affectionate with us and loves to cuddle, just seems to hate our other cat.
Sorry for the ramble... just wondered if anyone had any experience of a similar situation? Thanks

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. Thanks for giving the female cat a home. Hopefully in time she and your male will be best buds. Or at least not enemies.

Is she spayed? Is he neutered? If not, hormones could be causing some of the aggression.

TCS has several articles on cat introductions. I'll post the links below, starting with:

How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
The Multi-cat Household

Also How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Good luck. :goodluck:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SRH800

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, yes they’re both neutered. I’ll try again, she’s quite relaxed downstairs (his part of the house) as long as he’s not there.

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Has she seen you snuggle with him? Maybe she thinks he’s invading and if she sees you with him, she might understand. Maybe too she’s just adjusting. I have two who have been together forever and still now and again they will argue.
It’s so heartwarming to know there are heroes like you out there for the no longer wanted ones! ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SRH800

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi G gusmom , thank you for your reply. Yes she’s seen me stroking him and sitting with him. The problem now is that as soon as he sees her he runs away, so I don’t know how to go about getting them used to each other. He’s being bullied in his own home

gusmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi G gusmom , thank you for your reply. Yes she’s seen me stroking him and sitting with him. The problem now is that as soon as he sees her he runs away, so I don’t know how to go about getting them used to each other. He’s being bullied in his own home
Oh that’s heartbreaking!No bullies ever!! Maybe a diversion (like throw a toy to distract her)or positive reinforcement like when he’s on your lap some catnip or feed her or treat her every time he’s around? (If you can catch it before...which is hard I know). Hope and fingers crossed for you!