"new" Cat Behavior

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. Let me say first that I am 67 years old, retired but have had cats, dogs and horses most of my adult life. I'm a professional groomer and have worked for years in animal hospitals as a groomer and assistant tech. I apologize in advance if this gets too long.

Having said all that, I'm at a loss with my new kitty Simba. I am his third person and he's only 4 years old. His last family had him for 2 years and I brought him home with me to another state the day after Easter this year. I was told he was very shy and probably prefer being the only pet, which he is and he's strictly indoors. I did bring him to the vet for overall health check and he's healthy.

He adjusted very well at his own pace. He hid for the first couple of days. I went away for two weeks and had my brother in law come in daily. The cat never showed his face the whole time. A woman came in the last two days and he came right out for her. Any time a strange person comes in he hides and doesn't come out for hours.

During the day, he's pretty much a normal kitty. He stays close to me most of the time or sleeps on my bed. I play with him a couple of times a day with his toys. He has a big picture window to look out of when he wants, plenty of food, a water fountain and clean litter at all times. Overnight is the issue. He seems to do everything in his power to keep me awake.

At first he will sleep at the foot of the bed nicely. Then when I'm ready to sleep, I turn off the light and before you know it he's hard at work. Knocking things over, jumping up into the closet shelf, clawing at the cardboard under my bed. He tries something new all the time. At first it was opening all the cabinets, closet doors etc. Lately he's making noise rattling the baseboard heater. He can't seem to settle. He'll get back on the bed and knead and knead, purr, walk all around me. touch me lightly but won't settle. I think it's anxiety and I may try some of those scents they make for cats or ask the vet about valium because I am not getting enough restful sleep. I used to be an early riser, this morning I got up at 10:30 am. Now he's asleep on the bed.

Do any of you have some suggestions for me. He's a beautiful cat and I really do love him. He's a big boy, 14 pound but not overweight. HELP! This picture was taken after I got home from vacation. For a week after that he was great. Slept all night next to me in bed, no behaviors. Then, right back to crazy cat.

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Geez, what a gorgeous cat!!
I'm so glad you're here. To me, his activities sound to me as though he's happy, like a kitten, and basically beside himself with exuberant joy, kneading and purring, and also a bit bored.

That said, you need sleep. Can you play with him to the point of wearing him out? With a four year old cat you may have a better chance of truly accomplishing this than with a kitten (since they don't have an "off" button LOL). Can you keep him out of your sleeping area/room?

8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
He sounds pretty normal as most cats do not sleep through the night. You can teach him however to either be quiet or to go play elsewhere. When he gets noisy in your room give him a warning phrase like “quiet down” or whatever you can remember to use consistently. When he continues, pick him up and shut him out of your room. No pets, no conversation. At first he will scratch and howl at the door but will eventually go off to be crazy in the rest of your place. If you do this every single night he will learn that unless he is quiet he gets banished and all it may take to quiet him is the warning phrase.

I have used this method successfully with all of my cats. Some learned quickly and some slowly but they all caught in eventually.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think his behavior goes a little beyond normal. Maybe a little neurotic. He is persistent. I've shut him out of the bedroom and he somehow opened the door. I use a spritz bottle and he runs but immediately comes right back. I'm up and down all night. I do have neighbors to consider as well if he makes too much noise. I'm going to talk to the vet about this as well. He needs confidence and security. I might take him outside later in the day with a harness. I don't know how he'll take it. He's such a scaredy cat.

He sounds pretty normal as most cats do not sleep through the night. You can teach him however to either be quiet or to go play elsewhere. When he gets noisy in your room give him a warning phrase like “quiet down” or whatever you can remember to use consistently. When he continues, pick him up and shut him out of your room. No pets, no conversation. At first he will scratch and howl at the door but will eventually go off to be crazy in the rest of your place. If you do this every single night he will learn that unless he is quiet he gets banished and all it may take to quiet him is the warning phrase.

I have used this method successfully with all of my cats. Some learned quickly and some slowly but they all caught in eventually.

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
He is such a beautiful boy! Wow! You’ve got yourself one very good looking fella over there!

I too believe he is just being a kitty, and is obviously happy being with you.

I do not have much to say as our wonderful posters above already have given good advice. The only way I can think of as well is tire him before bedtime, then make sure he also has eaten so he won’t also be waking you up for his meal. With my cats when they disturb me endlessly in the middle of the night or wee hours in the morning I bring them out of the room, and let them play in the living room. I have already re-arranged my apartment so nothing breaks when any one of them makes the zoomies.

Btw, thank you for adopting this boy.

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He is very pretty! He loves to be brushed and I brush him every day. He's not lacking in attention. I play with him at least once per day with different toys.

As I mentioned, I've never had a cat like this before and I've had many, many of them over my lifetime. This is the first one that wasn't rescued in the sense that he wasn't abandoned on the street or other horrible situation. He's been well cared for from what I can tell.

Hi! Welcome!!
Geez, what a gorgeous cat!!
I'm so glad you're here. To me, his activities sound to me as though he's happy, like a kitten, and basically beside himself with exuberant joy, kneading and purring, and also a bit bored.

That said, you need sleep. Can you play with him to the point of wearing him out? With a four year old cat you may have a better chance of truly accomplishing this than with a kitten (since they don't have an "off" button LOL). Can you keep him out of your sleeping area/room?

8 Superb Automated Cat Toys That You're Going To Love!

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

How To Stop My Cat From Waking Me Up At Night (step-by-step Plan)

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
I think his behavior goes a little beyond normal. Maybe a little neurotic. He is persistent.
I have already re-arranged my apartment so nothing breaks when any one of them makes the zoomies.
I realize that you yourself may not have run into this sort of behavior in the past, but as described, this is normal behavior for a young, exuberant, happy cat.

Take a look at that article I posted for you above.

Also, try this first before you speak with your vet, from @Mamanyt1953 ;

Brew a cup (use bags from the grocery store to be sure they are GERMAN, not English chamomile), chill it in the fridge, and administer 1-3 teaspoonfuls by syringe up to 3 times a day. The nice thing about the tea is that is gently calms, rather than sedates.

Also, it is possible that in his case music might help, I don't know, but it's certainly worth a try, and both it and the tea may be of use to you as well.

There's muslcforcats . com, there's an app called Relax My Cat and there is classical harp music - these are known to help calm cats.

Do you have cat trees? Both upright and horizontal scratchers? These can help with exercise.

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

19 Best Interactive Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

21 Best Cat Toys: Your Ultimate List (2019) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

The LickiMat - Food Puzzles for Cats

Favorite Cat Toys

17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats

Last edited:

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd agree with everyone else, he sounds like a fairly normal fairly active cat. Maybe you've just had experience with the more sedate cats in the past?

Try doing a play session followed by a meal right before bed. That should trigger the natural hunt-catch-eat-sleep cycle that cats have. When he gets hyper at night the best thing to do is totally ignore him. Cats tend to not differentiate between positive and negative affection. Telling him he's a bad kitty or a good kitty is all attention to him. You responding to his evening antics is getting him what he wants. Squirt bottles or other discipline you might use with a dog tend to not connect with cats. The only "punishment" I've ever seen work is ignoring them; totally and completely ignoring their existence essentially.

Try this, if he is making noise at night or trying to get your attention lay still in bed. Don't say his name. Don't move. Cover yourself with a blanket if he jumps up and is patting at you. You can lightly pet him as long as he lays down but that is it. Do it for two weeks and he will get the picture that nighttime is quiet time. It won't be easy. But once he gets the idea he should settle when you go to bed.

PushPurrCatPaws

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
... Overnight is the issue. He seems to do everything in his power to keep me awake.

At first he will sleep at the foot of the bed nicely. Then when I'm ready to sleep, I turn off the light and before you know it he's hard at work. Knocking things over, jumping up into the closet shelf, clawing at the cardboard under my bed. He tries something new all the time. ...
It could be that he is a type of cat that feels more calm (less playful or "wired") when a light is on at night. If this is so, it's possible it might have something to do with his past living situations, since you are his third owner.

Have you tried leaving a light on when you go to bed, to see if that helps?

We sometimes leave a light on in the nearest room when our cat --who is also about 4 years old, like yours-- is a bit too wild or wound up. It does seem to make her a bit calmer and in no time, when we go to sleep, she has found one of her beds and konks out. It doesn't work ALL night but, well, it works until about 3 AM.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You must have been very lucky that your previous cats were not active at night :) To me, this is very normal cats’ thing. To add to everything what has already been mentioned: I’d try to keep him awake during a day as much as possible so that he sleeps through the night. I wouldn’t wake him directly, but with the sound of toys etc. I’d spend an hour before bedtime playing to tire him out.
Have you tried sleeping with the ear plugs?

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A lot of my cats were active at night, either with each other or alone with a toy. I never had a cat act like this.

I bought some calming treats and I'll see if those work. Ear plugs won't work because he's physical too on my bed.

As for play, he does like to play but he won't keep his interest in it that long. I use different toys and laser light to get him racing.

You must have been very lucky that your previous cats were not active at night :) To me, this is very normal cats’ thing. To add to everything what has already been mentioned: I’d try to keep him awake during a day as much as possible so that he sleeps through the night. I wouldn’t wake him directly, but with the sound of toys etc. I’d spend an hour before bedtime playing to tire him out.
Have you tried sleeping with the ear plugs?

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A lot of my cats were active at night, either with each other or alone with a toy. I never had a cat act like this.

I bought some calming treats and I'll see if those work. Ear plugs won't work because he's physical too on my bed.

As for play, he does like to play but he won't keep his interest in it that long. I use different toys and laser light to get him racing.
Maybe he’s more social than his previous owner thought he is? Did he have the company of another animal in his previous place?
I’d totally test PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws theory that lights off are the trigger and leave some light on at night

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The previous owner told me that he hid all day. They had his brother, a dog, two kids, mom, dad and grandma. Very active household. She told me that he probably would rather have a space of his own. Before he came, I prepared the apartment for a cat. He only hides now if someone else comes here. They came to replace my faucet the other day and it really stressed him out.

Maybe he’s more social than his previous owner thought he is? Did he have the company of another animal in his previous place?
I’d totally test PushPurrCatPaws PushPurrCatPaws theory that lights off are the trigger and leave some light on at night

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I left a light on last night. He pulled the bottom half off the baseboard heater. He didn't settle at all. This cat could be sound asleep at my feet but if I get up to use the bathroom, he gets up to follow me. The "calming" treats don't seem to help.

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don’t thing anything calming would work because personally I don’t think he’s anxious, but bored and craving company. I’d look for a way to keep him busy/playing during a day so that he’s tired enough to sleep through the night.

It’s risky and can backfire, but maybe he’d be better with the company of another cat? Maybe he didn’t feel good with children and dogs, but he would appreciate feline company? Maybe that would take some pressure of you of keeping him occupied and giving him so much attention. But the problem is, you never know if the cat his age would accept another one.

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Where I live I can only have one pet and he's it.

I don’t thing anything calming would work because personally I don’t think he’s anxious, but bored and craving company. I’d look for a way to keep him busy/playing during a day so that he’s tired enough to sleep through the night.

It’s risky and can backfire, but maybe he’d be better with the company of another cat? Maybe he didn’t feel good with children and dogs, but he would appreciate feline company? Maybe that would take some pressure of you of keeping him occupied and giving him so much attention. But the problem is, you never know if the cat his age would accept another one.

Tonita

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would love to hear from those of you who take your cats outside with a harness and leash. I've put the harness on Simba a few times with the expected reaction to it. Then it got too hot to continue.

I'm thinking maybe I can just put it on him with the leash and carry him downstairs and outside. It's very quite here. Or should I just continue to get him used to the harness first?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!
How is he with the harness and leash in your living space? Is he walking around normally, or still flopping over?

If he's past the flopping over stage but not yet quite normally walking, I found that the distractions of outside got my boy past that. :) you might give it a try but be hyper alert in case he gets upset at being held back.