New Cat at the White House

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's what Washington needs: A good, respectable cat in the White House!
Perhaps "Willow" will be as popular as the Clintons cat "Socks".
How exciting! A First Feline!
I was surprised read that former President George and Laura Bush had a Black Cat named "India Willie" during their time in the White House.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is everybody naming their pet Willow now? Lol, my username is after my first dog, whom we named Willow in 1995. Everybody was like "why would you name a dog Willow?" and now I know like 3 dog Willows and have seen several cats named Willow too (but don't know any personally). I guess I was ahead of my time!

Hope this one didn't get de-clawed liked poor ol' Socks. It was the '90s back then so I'll give them a pass but I won't give anyone a pass for it now.

She's very cute and will probably get her own Instagram or whatever it is the cat kids are doing nowadays :tongue:.

I was surprised read that former President George and Laura Bush had a Black Cat named "India Willie" during their time in the White House.
I don't remember hearing much about their pets at the time. I read somewhere recently that their dog Barney bit A LOT of people while living at the WH, and that sure wasn't publicized like Major's bites have been.

Last edited:

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Why is everybody naming their pet Willow now? Lol, my username is after my first dog, whom we named Willow in 1995. Everybody was like "why would you name a dog Willow?" and now I know like 3 dog Willows and have seen several cats named Willow too (but don't know any personally). I guess I was ahead of my time!
I don’t know. I named my girl that nearly eleven years ago!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hope this one didn't get de-clawed liked poor ol' Socks. It was the '90s back then so I'll give them a pass but I won't give anyone a pass for it now.
Oops, so was India/Willie (her name was India but after she was in the WH there were protests from people in India so they changed it). They actually left one of their cats back in Texas because he had all his claws and they didn't want him to damage the furniture (better than de-clawing him I guess). The Ford's cat Shan was de-clawed too. Not a great precedent for modern White House cats :/.

I can't find anything that says whether Misty Malarky Ying Yang (Amy Carter's cat) had his claws or not. Yes he was a boy, lol. ETA: I did find something about a WH usher who had to help move the family into the WH and he said the cat was scared and dug his claws into him quite painfully, so that seems like a good sign for Misty, at least.)

Last edited:

misty8723

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My friend's cat is named Willow, but she has had her for years.

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Feeling a bit concerned for Willow. Does she have free roam? Are there mice? What are her 2 cents on the Ukraine? Can she sit on the president‘s desk on the papers? Is anyone fussing over her? Is she writing letters to her comrades in arms, sending them cans of catfood and litter for morale? It must be weird, to be the White House cat.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Didn't Socks end up with Betty Currie? He was a pretty cat.

Willow is gorgeous! Love the grey tabbies!