New cat and old cat??

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,
I have an 18 month old cat who I adopted last January. We had been staying with my parents for a while, and he became attached to my parents dog. Now that we have our own house purchased, he was lonely during the day (now being without my mother and her dog!) so we adopted a kitten. She's five months old. There first couple days she was very afraid, and we kept them mostly separate, but my resident cat kept following her around when he was able (in a very non aggressive way). Now, she's really coming around, and we are allowing them some contact, it went well for the first day or so but they're beginning to fight a bit. They chase each other around the house, but a couple times it has began to escalate, and I want to nip this in the bud. They're both pokey- if one is lying down, the other has to pick at them. Suggestions in easing this transition so no one gets hurt? I THINK what's happening is they are playing, as they are both taking turns chasing each other etc. but then it gets rough and ends up going to far?

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! I will take a look.

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How do I know if it's play or serious?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Watch for body language especially ear placement and tail position.  You do not want to see ears go flat or tail swishing wildly.  Some hissing is ok, but you want to watch for growling, yowling, chasing that leads to attacks with vocalizations and fur flying. 

musicnl12

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
There is a scattered yowl- trying to keep a close eye on them, my older cat is probably close to double the kittens size. Seems like he plays rougher than her, but when she yowls he usually stops. Trying to keep a close eye, don't want him to accidentally hurt her. That being said, noticed a scratch on my older cats ear today... Go figure!