New Cat Aggressive With Resident Cat

Laura-S

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello cat enthusiasts!

My partner and I adopted a 2-year-old male cat about 3 months ago, thinking that my resident female cat (she's about 5) might want a buddy. She was first brought home with a buddy and the two became very close. She was incredibly down when he left and I thought it might be good for her to run and jump and play with another kitty again.

We tried to find a male that had a similar personality as the last male, thinking that might help the introductions (younger, playful, friendly). Our new cat matches that description, but my resident cat did not adjust well.

We've tried so many things at this point, we're at our wit's end. We kept them in separate rooms with separate supplies (water bowsl, toys, litter boxes, food etc.) for a long time and did scent swapping with socks rubbed on both cats' faces, placed next to bowls. Our new cat, Camus, quickly got tired of being stuck in one room (he desperately needs to be with people all the time) and starts to cry and rip up the carpet (instead of his scratching post) when he's left alone in there all night. Despite this, we wanted to give Aoife (the female) more space in the house, especially at night, to remind her that we are not infringing on her territory too much. She seems to appreciate it and is mostly happy when Camus is not present.
After spending several weeks rotating them (when one is out in the house, the other is in 'their' room), we tried supervised play and treats together in a neutral room. Aoife has a hard time being herself when he is present, and gets distracted trying to remain vigilant. He sometimes is distracted too, but mostly he just wants to play and eat.

After 2 months (and many, many setbacks) we decided to leave them both out, and try behaviour management techniques to supplement as per multiple sources' instructions.
However, he he frequently stares at her and 'stalks' her. He doesn't make a sound and doesn't bite or use his claws, but he's right up in her face and clearly not respecting her boundaries. He does the same thing with his toys-stalks them and jumps on them. She hisses, growls and swats at him to get him to listen, but this only works about 50% of the time. The rest of the time, we try to distract them or intervene when they get into angry staring contests. We spray water on him or over his head, and we drop a soft blanket on him to break up the stand-off.

For about 10 days this worked beautifully, and they left each other alone. But now we are moving, and things are stressful in the house (which we are trying to manage). Last night, with both of us home, and winding down to go to bed, Camus ran away from us, where we were trying to play with him, searched for Aoife, stalked her and attacked her. They fought in an angry ball for a few seconds and then dispersed when we clapped loudly and sprayed them with water. We put Camus in his room for the night to cool off, and gave Aoife the house.

We are extremely concerned at this point and worry that we are not the best home for Camus: As much as we love him and don't want to surrender him, it has been 3 months and Aoife deserves a happy, restful home.

Does anyone have any recommended next steps? As this is a painful process, please try to be kind with advice (we've gotten burned before).

Thanks and take care~

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The next step might have to be, "Start over." I would recommend going beyond simple scent-swapping, and doing actual site-swapping, with each cat spending a part of each day in ALL parts of the home, so that the scents of both are everywhere. Beyond that, I'm going to link a few articles on introducing two cats and reducing stress in cats. Perhaps one of them will trigger an "AH HA" moment for you! Patience, and lots of it, are key. This process can take weeks, and sometimes months to complete, but I will certainly not say that it is impossible.

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight (just in case)

Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist

This is not easy, but even at this point, it is doable! Keep us posted!

BTW...welcome to TCS! If you haven't done it yet, head over to "New Cats on the Block" and introduce yourself and your cats!

catkin56

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Laura, I sympathize with you! I hope you can work it out.

I live in Massachusetts; I saw my Albert's photo on petfinder.com as being tied to a local site, then found out he was actually being fostered in Houston. I met him on FaceTime chat. He was in a vet's office. I liked him, agreed to adopt, and Rescue Road Trips brought him to me cross-country with many other dogs and cats.

When I got Albert's final paperwork emailed to me before the pickup day, I was dismayed to see that the reason he was surrendered to foster care by his last human was that she got another cat and he started going outside the box. She put him on Xanax (!). It didn't work. I never found out the whole story, but I have never had a litter-box problem with Albert. He just needed to be an only cat.