New Cat Adopted Today

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
After a long time getting ready, I finally adopted a new cat today. I spent a long time meeting with many kitties at the shelter, but he was the last one I met and we clicked instantly. He is currently getting over a URI and the shelter decided it was probably better for him to stay until he is at least done with his eye drops so I will pick him up most likely by the end of the week.
He is a big guy, very sweet and has the cutest small light grey smudges on his head and tail. I will be changing his name so any ideas are welcomed. I will be posting pictures when I get him, but in the meantime, here’s his shelter pic ( he is much cuter in person!)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh my goodness, may I give my congratulations to you!!! what a darling cat, I'm so glad you found each other :heartshape:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Oh my goodness, may I give my congratulations to you!!! what a darling cat, I'm so glad you found each other :heartshape:
Thank you! Isn’t he adorable? I can’t wait to get him home. The head of adoptions will contact me tomorrow to let me know when he’ll be done with the drops. I was not expecting a white cat. I had lots of other cats I had noticed on the shelter pages, but he was the one. Goes to show you just never know who you’ll fall in love with!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm, I'm not coming up with any good names, but maybe...what about Storm, or Jack Frost?

Or; Panda Bear, Bear, Gandalf, Finn, Alba, Sirius...
;)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so upset! The lady who I worked with to find Baby now just told me he has moderate gingivitis and might need medical treatments in the future. I had such a hard time with Huxley and his stomatitis and multiple health issues that not only took him away from me only a year and half after I adopted him, but also costed me thousands of dollars that I had specifically told the shelter I did not want to see any cats that had any medical issue that could be chronic like periodontal issues, allergies or anything that was suspicious. She’d Promised me to screen them before I met them. After I met baby, I asked confirmation by email to her that the only health problem he had on record was that URI and she confirmed. She now emailed me to arrange pick up date, and all of a sudden, he has gingivitis. All she says is that he will need a cleaning in 4-5 years but it could very well be much more than this. I know I may well exagerate especially as he may very well be fine, but I cannot take that risk again. I have gone through too much with Hux and besides, I feel like she has not been honest with me. Either she did not pre-screen the cats in the first place, or she just tried to trick me. I had to tell her I won’t adopt Baby. I feel terrible, which angers me as I had told them specifically what I wouldn’t want, but I can’t risk it.
Now I am back to square one.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh man, that's so sad. They won't give him a teeth cleaning with their vet before adopting him out? It seems like that is what they should do. Poor Baby. :(

NY cat man

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Why are some people like that? It's kind of like buying a new car, and when you go to pick it up, being told that if you actually want tires on it, it will cost extra.

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I got an email from her this morning telling me she didn’t think they could help me as « every adult will have some health issues ». I disagree with that entirely! My mom’s cat is 7 and perfectly healthy, my friend’s 16 and 11 year olds are healthy too. Will all cats eventually get sick with age, sure. Just like we do, but I disagree that all 2 year old will have some issues. So I decided to go to the Humane Society instead and I fell in love!! This cute little girl is 1 year old, was owner surrendered ( a mix of moving and multiple pets who didn’t get on I believe). Their loss! She is the sweetest thing! Definitely a Velcro cat! And totally healthy as of now. I was able to bring her home straight away and she already owns the house. I was able to insure her and since her medical record is clean and she’s only one, she will be covered for everything.
I believe this was meant to be! Now I need help with the name.
Daisy, Naila or keep her shelter name of Sophie. Suggestions are also welcomed

Attachments

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's pretty! I'm so happy for you. I like Sophie. I really like people names for cats. :)

huxleysmom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She's pretty! I'm so happy for you. I like Sophie. I really like people names for cats. :)
It’s funny. I’ve never liked people’s names for cats, but I must admit I quite like Sophie :)