New Carpet And Seizures

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Years ago, I moved into an apartment with new carpet. You could still smell the glue and fumes since they put it in so recently.
Two days after moving in my cat started having seizures. I moved out a year later when my lease was up, but he already had chronic seizures which continued for the rest of his life.
Has anyone heard of a connection between new carpet/carpet glue and seizures?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I am so sorry to hear that this happened to your cat.
Yes, the fumes from the glues and the fire resistant chemicals that are in carpet and furniture, and fresh paint also, are not good for animals or humans either.
Some will be more sensitive than others, and it's very difficult to avoid sometimes.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
Volatile organic compounds (VOCs) can cause all sorts of health problems for people and pets. Can cause cancer, liver damage, kidney damage, central nervous system damage, etc. Some people or pets are more susceptible than others. I would not be the least bit surprised if it was the cause of your cat's seizures.

Seizures & Deaths in Cats

I use Low VOC glue when I make carpet covered stuff for my cats. I also avoid using carpet that has a strong chemical odor. After I make something I put it in a well ventilated space for at least a few days before I let the cats use it.

I discovered a couple of years ago how bad VOCs are for pets when I was researching how to make a cat tree.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the info. I am so sure there is a connection and I am so mad I moved there in the first place after having an instict to keep looking for apartments now and it cost me my best friend. I wish there was something we could do to stop the industries from using this shit.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
K kpc1024 - I agree there should be more done to educate people on VOCs and the potential for them to cause health issues in pets and people. Sorry for the loss of your best friend and I don't blame you for being mad. Please make sure you don't blame yourself in any way, shape or form.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kpc1024

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
K kpc1024 - I agree there should be more done to educate people on VOCs and the potential for them to cause health issues in pets and people. Sorry for the loss of your best friend and I don't blame you for being mad. Please make sure you don't blame yourself in any way, shape or form.
Thank you, I appreciate the information and your kind words