New Biting Development

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hey all. I have an ongoing thread for my Sophia’s weight loss that mentions her history with biting and aggression here, but since this was a separate issue, I figured I’d start a new thread.

Sophia is almost 10 years old, 16.5 lbs, previously declawed, and has a history with play aggression. I adopted her late August 2020.

As mentioned in that thread: She has bitten me on the leg two times and broken the skin. She has attempted to bite my foot once but missed.

Things were looking up for a while and she has become very attached to me. She’s now a total lap cat, which was cute... until it appeared to turn into possessive/territorial behavior. Now, if she is on my lap and I move, she gets angry and attempts to bite my leg. I do usually sit with a blanket on my lap that smells like both of us, but even if I put the blanket aside, she lays on me. I hiss when the biting occurs and she runs away, but then she comes back to my lap 5 minutes later like nothing happened.

If I sit somewhere that she cannot get onto my lap, such as the kitchen table, she will look sort of lost. She will pace, stare at me, and eventually give in to lay on the blanket alone after a few hours.

On the topic of blankets, she is obsessed with them. She kneads and sucks on them multiple times a day until they’re soaked. She will burrow and purr. I’ve tried to give her a blanket of her own, but she wants whatever one I have. She recently vomited on her favorite blanket and didn’t want anything to do with it after the wash until it was on my lap.

She also used to sleep on the opposite side of the bed, but now sleeps on my feet/lower legs. When I inevitably move in my sleep, she bites me and wakes me up.

Any suggestions? Should I discourage her from sitting on my lap at all? It’s hard to keep her off of me. If she can’t sit on me, she’ll lean against me. I’d estimate she is touching me in some capacity at least 12 hours per day.

Attachments

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It sounds like in this post you are raising the fact that your cat bites you to signal displeasure, that the cat wants to continue doing something without your interference. I don't think that is really much of a separate issue from play biting, and you should be able to train away both types of biting with the same strategies. The only difference to keep in mind is that when a cat is biting as a strategy, you have to be careful to avoid reinforcing the behavior by giving in. Like you can *never* say oh, your biting me, you want to stay on my lap, ok! That will be interpreted as a victory for the biting, and reinforce the behavior.

Re: the obsession with you, I have a cat that is like this, minus the biting, and I absolutely do not allow him on me at certain times, and will just remove him again and again if needed. It hasn't affected our bond negatively -- I get some alone time now is all, and I don't have a giant cat on my lap when I'm wearing boxers, something which just doesn't fly. Offering the blanket nearby as an alternative is a great idea, you can look for other ideas like that, like I have a wicker tray on my desk. Its really for storing documents, or it was originally lol.

Anyway, good luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your response, A ArtNJ ! So far she has been immediately removed from my lap after a bite, whether from me lifting the blanket out from underneath to shoo her off or her response to my hissing. She’s a very resilient (or maybe stubborn) cat. Even if I do something “horrible” in her eyes like clipping her nails, when she puts up a big fuss and meows and growls, within minutes she’s back loving on me. I wonder if her discipline should last longer where I am the one to invite her back instead of letting her jump right back again when she feels like it?

I am also thinking of getting her a heating pad or self heating bed in case she is using me as a heater. It does seem the only time she will choose to be away from me is if there is a big sunny patch on the floor.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't really have much to add, but do want to mention that 'disciplining' a cat longer than a couple of minutes doesn't typically help much. After that period of time, continuation of the discipline is more or less 'lost' on the cat, they don't make the connection. Success is greater with consistency, rather than longevity. So, pick a 'discipline' routine and stick with it - if that is hissing and lap removal, fine. But, do the same thing each - and every - time. Don't change it up, as then the cat has received multiple reactions for the same behavior, and the reaction has a diluted effect.

If you are in a location where the weather is cooler, by all means try some sort of self heating pad - it might just work! Even though I am in central FL, the weather has changed enough so that Feeby is on my lap during the evening for hours at a time. When it is warmer, she might not visit my lap at all!

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you as always, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I just tested this as Sophia acted up. She growled as I shifted my legs beneath her, so I made her get off. I counted — she was off my lap for 7 seconds before jumping back up. Do you think that she understood the growl-removal connection, or do you think she just thinks I lash out at random?

It’s definitely gotten colder up here in the NE US, so it’s hard to tell if her newfound clinginess is from the temperature or her getting more comfortable after about 3 months of living here.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thank you as always, FeebysOwner FeebysOwner . I just tested this as Sophia acted up. She growled as I shifted my legs beneath her, so I made her get off. I counted — she was off my lap for 7 seconds before jumping back up. Do you think that she understood the growl-removal connection, or do you think she just thinks I lash out at random?
It’s definitely gotten colder up here in the NE US, so it’s hard to tell if her newfound clinginess is from the temperature or her getting more comfortable after about 3 months of living here.
Your welcome!! Unless a growl ALWAYS precedes a bite, I wouldn't be so quick to make her get off of you because she made a noise. After all, if you get her to stop biting, and all she does is growl in protest when you move, I am sure you won't mind. Also, consider the growling could be the next step in her own de-escalation process as she becomes more and more accustomed to her new life. 3 months is not a whole long time for a cat of her age. She will probably go through many different types of behavior as she continues to adjust. But, I would imagine the cooler weather might be playing a role as well.

I have heard that cats who have been declawed tend to bite more than those who are not (using the only resource they have to 'defend' themselves, maybe?). Although, in my experience, I have not seen that be the case. But, if it is true for her - along with her age - it might take a bit longer to 'undo' her biting habit.

Sophia_

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Was away for a few days making some changes. I’ve essentially tried to make laying on me as undesirable as possible (frequently getting up, no blankets) and it seems to be working so far! She’s getting some independence sleeping in another room without me, where she's realizing she gets less interrupted sleep! I make sure to stop in periodically when I see that she's awake and give her some good attention. She does still join me in bed, but at a small distance and for only part of the night.

Thanks for the above tip about growling and de-escalation. I'll keep that in mind.