New behaviour... peeing on bed, eek!

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two young female cats - one is 8 months, the other one 5 months. I introduced them over two months ago and now they get along fine after a rough early start.

Our new problem.... the 5 month old now thinks she can pee on our bed. This started about 4 days ago. She never had problems using the litter box before. I recently replaced their clay litter two weeks ago with World's Best because of odour issues, but both cats were using it fine. I scoop it every day, sometimes twice, but I admit I hadn't refreshed it completely in a while... maybe they smell something I can't?

They share a very large litter box that is located on the same floor as our bedroom, so it's not that far away.

Just noticed that even without the bedspread she's acting like she'll pee on the bed, so it's not the spread that's doing it.

Now I put out an extra litter box near our bedroom and I just bought some clay litter for it. I've cleaned everything I could to get rid of the smell.

So I'm asking.... why would she start doing this? Is it possible she's coming into heat - she seems to be extra active and vocal, eating like a lumberjack, and rolling on her back? Is it the type of litter? Is there anything else I can do?

She's due to be spayed next week.

I know you must get questions like this all the time, thanks in advance for any help!!!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Definitely a good idea to have multiple litter boxes and also to completely change the litter. Cats have much more sensitive noses than we do. On that same note, you need to clean anywhere she's peed with an enzyme cleaner.

She may also have a uti, which is quite uncomfortable. Whenever there is a behavioral change, your first stop should be the vet.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, thanks for responding! I just bought some enzyme cleaner too. Dealing with that today!

I would take her to the vet for uti but there are no other symptoms... she isn't urinating frequently, she's super active and playing, no sign of blood in the urine, everything else is normal.

Could a cat this young get a uti?

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, could she be coming into heat?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi, thanks for responding! I just bought some enzyme cleaner too. Dealing with that today!

I would take her to the vet for uti but there are no other symptoms... she isn't urinating frequently, she's super active and playing, no sign of blood in the urine, everything else is normal.

Could a cat this young get a uti?
Yes, a uti isn't at all age specific. Cats are wonderful at hiding pain, so I really do urge you to bring her in. You don't want it to get bad enough that there is blood in the urine if you don't have to.

And yes, she could be coming into heat as well. That could be unrelated though.

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm not trying to make excuses.... but if she had uti, wouldn't she be peeing everywhere?

Also, at the vet, how do they test for it?

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ahhh.... just put the clay litter in and she used it right away. Fingers crossed this was a litter issue... will keep an eye on this though and will take her to a vet if it persists.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
Just a note for future reference...
A cat does not have to urinate all over the house or even consistently avoid the litter box to have a urinary issue. They may simply have an occasional accident outside the box.

A UTI is only one possible urinary issue, there can also be bladder stones, urinary crystals or something called idiopathic sterile cystitis. This is why we always encourage a vet visit first when there are litter box issues.

Fingers crossed that switching back to clay litter solves your problem!

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She didn't really use it, she just pretended! She squatted but didn't pee. Okay I will call the vet.

My other cat likes the clay better too.... so much for World's Best Cat Litter.... another failure to add to the heap.

God, cats are a lot of work and worry. Good thing they're adorable.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just like with humans, the sensation of needing to pee but not being able to is a symptom of urinary tract issues. It sounds like she is having a definite problem in that department!

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just a note for future reference...
A cat does not have to urinate all over the house or even consistently avoid the litter box to have a urinary issue. They may simply have an occasional accident outside the box.

A UTI is only one possible urinary issue, there can also be bladder stones, urinary crystals or something called idiopathic sterile cystitis. This is why we always encourage a vet visit first when there are litter box issues.

Fingers crossed that switching back to clay litter solves your problem!
Yes, exactly!

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay... the vet examined her and says it's a behaviour issue. We had a long talk about what we can do about it, so I will follow recommendations and it seems I am on the right track.

My kitty did finally use the clay litter and we are keeping the door to the bedroom closed when we aren't there... and I put an old shower curtain over the bedspread just in case.

I hope this doesn't mean a life long battle... sigh....

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not this time. She took her temperature, felt her abdomen, asked all the questions. If she'd had any concerns she would have taken a sample, she is very thorough. We are leaving it for now, with a check back after the weekend to see if the new litter works. In fact my kitty used the clay litter twice at least since then and no indication of wanting to go on the bed.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I really wouldn't rule out a physical problem yet. Please let us know how it goes.

laroyal

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not ruling it out.... And I will keep you posted. Thank you so much for your help and concern!