New Beautiful Kitten - I’m Concerned.

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I adopted a beautiful 8 month old kitten from Chicago animal control on Saturday. She is SO crazy affectionate. The Kitten was at the shelter less than 24 hours and she was just spayed on Friday night. Animal control let me take the kitten home where I gave her a quiet room to recover. I put out Hills Science Diet kibble and wet food out for her. That evening we heard her chomp on the kibble but found that she vomited every bit of it during the night. Now, she is not eating at all. I’m really concerned. It is Monday night, and I don’t think my kitten has eaten or drank anything since Saturday except for a few temptation treats. She seems alert, and interested in me, but I know cats need to eat or they might do damage to internal organs. Anybody have any advice out there to help encourage my kitty to eat?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats, like humans can become nauseated from the anesthetic. My Chrissy did not eat/drink for a few days after either. Right now don't be bothered by nutrition, just get her to eat something. Keep water available, get some lactaid free milk, or goats milk to tempt her. Definitely call the vet and enquire about all this if she doesn't eat early today. Maybe you can pick up a appetire stimulator.
She is under a tremendous amount of stress right now too, with the surgery, being at the shelter, and now moved to a strange environment. All contribute to not being hungry. Just give her lots of peace and quiet, lots of comfort if she wants it, and don't force her into anything. How is her surgical wound looking? no signs of infection? No swelling, extreme redness, or thick colored discharge? A lump at teh incision site is normal, just not a huge one. Is she moving around and using the litterbox? Since you don't know her background, offer deli roast bee, or shaved turkey, Gerbers baby food in turkey or chicken, and various canned cat foods and hard foods. My newcomer here, refused all 'good' foods and prefers cheap hard food and lactose free milk! So that is what she gets for now. All teh luck, and keep us posted!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a beautiful 8 month old kitten from Chicago animal control on Saturday. She is SO crazy affectionate. The Kitten was at the shelter less than 24 hours and she was just spayed on Friday night. Animal control let me take the kitten home where I gave her a quiet room to recover. I put out Hills Science Diet kibble and wet food out for her. That evening we heard her chomp on the kibble but found that she vomited every bit of it during the night. Now, she is not eating at all. I’m really concerned. It is Monday night, and I don’t think my kitten has eaten or drank anything since Saturday except for a few temptation treats. She seems alert, and interested in me, but I know cats need to eat or they might do damage to internal organs. Anybody have any advice out there to help encourage my kitty to eat?
Hello PaulinPilsen PaulinPilsen and sweet baby girl kitten, and welcome to TCS! Other posters' suggestions are great, and to them I can't add much except to welcome you and say to please keep us informed! *PRAYERS* and best thoughts of wellness for your kitten! (We love pix...just sayin'):vibes::lovecat3::hearthrob:

Fisher’smom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I adopted Fisher at 12 weeks, I had him home for 3 days and he started violently vomiting. We ended up in Pet ER with xrays and blood work. Nothing was found...they told me to put him on bland diet of two parts rice, one part boiled chicken all mixed into a slurry. He was also put on famotidine for 10 days. It worked...once his stomach settled and he got comfortable with his surroundings he got better. I feed him Natural Balance now and he is doing great!

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Fisher at 12 weeks, I had him home for 3 days and he started violently vomiting. We ended up in Pet ER with xrays and blood work. Nothing was found...they told me to put him on bland diet of two parts rice, one part boiled chicken all mixed into a slurry. He was also put on famotidine for 10 days. It worked...once his stomach settled and he got comfortable with his surroundings he got better. I feed him Natural Balance now and he is doing great!
Wow, Fisher’smom Fisher’smom -- so glad Fisher is well! Cats are strong and resilient, but also delicate and complex. In Fisher's case, it sounds like what a lot of people recommend for sick humans worked for him as well. ConCATulations!:vibes::catlove::redheartpump:

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS and hello to a fellow Chicagoan! :wave3: Thank you for adopting this sweet, affectionate girl. :catlove:I don't know where you live in the city, e.g. north or south side, but we have had excellent advice and support from the Chicago Cat Clinic over the years. Chicago Cat Clinic | Cat Veterinary Practice | Chicago 60646
You could even call and talk to them to help walk you through what are the next necessary steps. This might put your mind at ease. Please keep us posted on your kitten. :crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Little Luna is still not eating. She seems curious with food - she will lick it but ultimately she doesn’t swallow. The night she came to us she ate a whole lot of Hills science diet kibbles. She vomited them all up. I’m wondering whether that violent throw up could have swollen her throat? I don’t know and I’m concerned. I’m taking her to the vet in the morning, and she said she is going to do some blood work - tests.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I constantly tell my 7 yr old cat- you can't eat like that anymore! When I rescued her 5 weeks old she would gobble her canned food fast. As she got older she could no longer eat like that without throwing up. So now it's small servings 4-5x a day. Mornings are the worst for her. 1/8 can in the morning. 10+ minutes later 1/8 5.5 oz can. Other meals almost 1/4 can. I split with a fork 1 5.5 oz can in quarters.

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone. Little Luna is still not eating. She seems curious with food - she will lick it but ultimately she doesn’t swallow. The night she came to us she ate a whole lot of Hills science diet kibbles. She vomited them all up. I’m wondering whether that violent throw up could have swollen her throat? I don’t know and I’m concerned. I’m taking her to the vet in the morning, and she said she is going to do some blood work - tests.
Are you trying to feed her the same thing or are you trying different food? Sometimes Cats won't touch food anymore if they've eaten it previously and vomited, they associate it with being sick.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A visit to her doctor is the best thing in this case, PaulinPilsen PaulinPilsen . *PRAYERS* for Luna and please keep us informed as to her wellbeing.

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone! I am back from the vet. I had blood tests and an X-ray done. The good news is that nothing was found abnormal. Blood survey all checked out normal. The X-ray showed healthy internal organs. The vet said that the next step would be an ultrasound. I have not had this cat long enough for health insurance (only a week now), so after $500, I’m not willing to pay another $500 for an ultrasound. I was considering euthanizing her because I would rather have that than to see a cat starve herself to death. It was like she lost the will to live. So, I was given mirtazatine to stimulate Luna’s appetite and also Cat Lax to help with any possible obstruction. I gave her the mirtazatine this morning. Behold! There has been an impact. I bought beef and broth baby food. Omg! She ate 3/4 of a jar. This is the first food she consumed in 5 days! With this, I am now hopeful. I am skipping on the Cat Lax, and I am hoping she will finish the rest of the jar later on!

PaulinPilsen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Are you trying to feed her the same thing or are you trying different food? Sometimes Cats won't touch food anymore if they've eaten it previously and vomited, they associate it with being sick.
Yes, all kinds of foods. Tuna, kitten wet food, Blue Buffalo kibble, other kinds of wet food, and even cat milk.