New attack, same old cat

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have a 12 year old neutered male. He was an outside cat who happened to choose my porch as refuge and eventually he came inside and stayed. He was about 2 when he came inside. A couple years later, he attacked my friend who was catsitting him for a night, I wasn't there, but my friend did need a few stitches. 3 years later he attacked me while I was wrapping some presents next to him sleeping. 5 years later he attacked me again after hearing a cat video on my computer. It has been 6 years since that attack. He has been up to date on shots and checkups. His vet believes it is a feral reaction that comes out when he is super scared. He said it's like a seizure and I just have to avoid it. I have spent years reducing known triggers and isolating him from new people. I love this cat like a son... but this week he attacked me while I was holding my nine month old son so I need to seriously consider putting him down. I am heart broken and I don't take this decision lightly.

We were all sleeping in my bed, something I don't allow very often. Unfortunately my son woke up in the middle of the night and started crying loudly. My cat doesn't like babies crying so when he jumped off the bed I thought he was just leaving the room. I was wrong. In a matter of less than 2 minutes he bit me 7 times and left several scratches. My roommate had to chase the cat off, but the cat bit him twice too.

This attack was by far the worst ever. My son was not harmed but I feel awful realizing he could have been bit too.

My cat was back to normal minutes later and doesn't seem to understand he caused my wounds. He wants to lay by me and tries to rub against the baby as if nothing has changed. I have mostly kept him isolated since the attack, I let him out just before we go to bed. He's lonely and I'm overwhelmed with an impossible decision.

I know many people give away their cats when they have children. I dont see that as an option knowing he is capable of such a vicious attack. The vet did not think medication would change his need to attack under fear. On a daily basis, he follows me around, plays, eats, and sleeps near me. I am most certainly his mom and his only human. Besides these attacks he is a really good cat.

Have any of you experienced this? Did anything work? Can my cat be happy isolated to one room of the house? Is it time to put him down so he can'take hurt me or my son?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking this boy in, and I definitely understand hue concerns. I would definitely try medication before putting him down. Do you know why your vet didn't think it would work? I would think something to calm your cat would reduce the fear response.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He said the dose required to keep him from attacking would probably also make him pretty much sleep all of the time which is not really what I want for him. The very seafood a mild dose would only slow him down a little, not enough to keep him from attacking. It's not off the table but I'm not sure it's a definite fix.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think it's definitely worth considering, and possibly getting a second opinion from a different vet. I would take a sleepy, calm cat over putting my cat to sleep any day.

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Plus his attacks are so infrequent but severe. I have 7 bites, 3 of which have large blue bruises surrounding just from the force of his bite.

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am considering the medication. I am also working on complete isolation from my child. Its a little difficult coordinating on my own but it's worth it.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It must be so difficult, and I know you're trying to do right by everyone. Please consider speaking to a different vet. I think there are still options!

sparrow1

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you for the encouragement! The father of my child wanted me to put him down immediately. I know he was just scared for our child. I know my cat had a rough pay before he got here. He was underweight,he had ear mites and fleas. He trusted me right away and dealt with me being gone alother for work. Even when I brought my son home my cat have me space and note even allows my child to pet him. I know he loves us, I know he was scared. I don't want to lose him but I can't let him near my child again.