New at Walmart - Tidy Cats Pure Natural

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I found Tidy Cats Multi Pet Pure and Natural litter at Walmart today. Its made of Cedar, corn and Pine. Is a clumping litter, 99.9%dust free. A 7.5 lb bag is $7.98 plus there were $2 off coupons on each bag.It says that 7.5 lb. = 18lbs clumping clay litter.  I was loking for Feline Pine when I found this. Mac has to have special litter after he is declawed long health story as to why) and nuetered Monday. I think this will work well. Much better than shreeded paper! Worth a try and if it works well I might use on a regular basis.  :)

sherrycat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me know how that goes. I have always wondered about that kind of litter. The Wal-Mart in my area is crummy and usually doesn't have a huge selection of litter, but I will try to keep an eye out for it. Does it keep the stink level down? Sherry drops some stinky bombs in her box (normal, just stinky, haha). My other two cats go outside, so I don't have to worry about theirs. And let us know if it really is equal to 18 lbs of clay litter. I hope Mac likes it!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aw, it is so, so, SO sad that he'll have his toes cut off! Is there ANY way around it? How horrible! Do you need any suggestions about how to teach him not to scratch stuff?

Anyway, I tried that litter and I would not recommend it for a cat having foot surgery/amputation. It's sticky when wet and gets packed up in stuff. Definitely not good for the empty toe sockets--if he gets litter clumped up in there an infection is certain.

For normal use, I'm kinda neutral about it. It sticks to the bottom/sides of the litterbox, is very light so the cats may knock over the litterbox, and it smells like a hamster cage :tongue2:. But it is cheap and keeps odors down.

If you absolutely have to go through with the toe amputation :(, ask your vet about what kind of litter to use. If you use the wrong thing and it make his paws hurt worse, he may stop using the litterbox forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Aw, it is so, so, SO sad that he'll have his toes cut off! Is there ANY way around it? How horrible! Do you need any suggestions about how to teach him not to scratch stuff?
Anyway, I tried that litter and I would not recommend it for a cat having foot surgery/amputation. It's sticky when wet and gets packed up in stuff. Definitely not good for the empty toe sockets--if he gets litter clumped up in there an infection is certain.
For normal use, I'm kinda neutral about it. It sticks to the bottom/sides of the litterbox, is very light so the cats may knock over the litterbox, and it smells like a hamster cage
. But it is cheap and keeps odors down.
If you absolutely have to go through with the toe amputation
, ask your vet about what kind of litter to use. If you use the wrong thing and it make his paws hurt worse, he may stop using the litterbox forever.
Mac is getting declawed on Monday because of health reasons I have. I'll give some background first so you know the whole situation.

I got Mac when he was 6 weeks old. I happened to be looking on craigslist under pets to see if I could find a good used cat tree. I had been doing this for a while but that day I came across an add about a tiny kitten a lady was going to put in a box and take to the pound if no one came and got him before noon. It was a Saturday and 105degrees outside. 117 feel like temp it was humid!!! I called for directions and went and got him (70 miles one way). The poor baby had fles so I washed him with Dawn and I took him to the vet that Monday morning. The vet dewormed him and gave him his first shot (FVRCP). Three days later he broke his leg jumping of a chair. The vetsaid it was because his bones were soft due to the malnutrition. I planned to never have him declawed but I had a stroke in July. I had had him 1 month. While I was in the hospita my daughter and her girlfiend took care of Mia and he at my apartment and helped when I came home. Both cats never left my side for a few weeks l had to be started on blood thinners and baby aspirin right away as I have 50% blockage in left cortid arterie in necj and 75%blockage on other side. Mac turns 5 months old tomarrow. So he will be a kitten for some time to come. Without meaning to sometimes he might scratch hard while playing and I bleed a lot because my blood does noy clump easily. I will not re-home him as Mia never had another cat around her until Mac and he has brought the character out in her. The 2 adore each other so much, as well as I adore them that, that is not possible. Mia is declawed too. I did her before I became aware of alot. I have always had declawed cats in the past and none have ever had problems (anykind) after so I do know how to take care of Mac after. I would really like to not have to do it but I have no choice. He gets trims once a week but still can make me bleed. Hes noy tying to be mean when he scratches though. I will be getting the "optional"  pain meds for him!!!

I will return these 2 bags to Wal-Mart tomarrow. Thanks for letting me know. I will get Yesterdays News instead. I hate using shredded paper as it gets extremely gros and cat step in it trying to bury their waste. Dont want to take the chance. Have to stay clean.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered the use of Soft Claws? Very effective, and fun, too! :D And painless and not permanent. Usually vets will apply them if you ask.

Also, I have always wondered what someone with a bleeding disorder who says they need to cut out their cat's claws does about ther cat's teeth. Doesn't he playbite/lovebite/etc.? I get more damage from kittens' teeth than from their claws but maybe I'm weird :lol3:.

Isn't the vet worried about his bone softness? Removing his toes may cause orthopedic problems later in life (bowlegging, arthritis, etc.).

missymotus

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Have you considered the use of Soft Claws? Very effective, and fun, too!
And painless and not permanent. Usually vets will apply them if you ask.
Agree with using soft claws or even just keeping his claws clipped.

People over here on blood thinners live with clawed cats just fine, given that declawing is illegal here like most countries outside North America. 

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He is very healthy now! Vet gives him a clean bill of health. I've never had Mac bite me. I have tried soft paws recently but he chews them off. I know, hes weird. From past experiences (when I didnt know better) I had all declawed cats and none of them ever had any physical problems, biting or going outside the litter box that soom claim happens. I would not do this if I didnt have to but I dont have a choice. I am homedaily as I already am on Socialy Security Disability for another problem. I dont plan to go much of anywhere for the first week after his surgery so he will feel safer and be loved on constantly.  :)

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm definately not condoning declawing. Please dont take it that way.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is always a choice. Maybe you can ask what cat owners with clotting disorders do if they live anywhere else in the world except the U.S. and Canada (the only places it's legal and vets will consent to do it). There must be some alternatives. But of course it's whatever you want to do. It just makes me sad :(.

How can you do something you don't condone? Isn't doing something condoning it? Actions speak louder than words, after all.

Last edited:

ilovemia

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wouldnt do it unless I felt it nesesarry and I do believe it is. Another thing is the clossest dr. and hospital from me is 60 miles.  I am doing what my dr, vet and I think is best. Unless you have lived this you would not understand. I will close now. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.