New At Home Cooked Meal

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Right now we are finishing up her Merrick Canned Food until I can get into town on Monday, by slowly backing off and going by the meal plan I have laid out below. I tired this one other time and went back to canned food because she just would not eat chicken boiled or baked.
Then when we were pup sitting my mom only feeds her dog Turkey meat because she is allergic to Chicken. I then gave Candi some and she loved it. However, I want to change things up so that she doesn't get tired of Turkey all the time so I thought about supplementing it with the Applaws Chicken Cat Food.

I do have a few questions though as I want to make sure I am doing good for Candi.
She has Hyperthyroidism and takes a half of pill at breakfast and a half a pill at bedtime.

These are the Vitamins that I got Candi. My first question is, are they what she needs?
Only Natural Pet Ultimate Daily Vitamins Plus Feline

Second of all, This is the Applaws Cat Food that she loves. The only downside I don't like the idea of Rice in it or is this okay?
Applaws Pet Food

My Third Question would be she is allergic to the fish in Canned Food which makes her itchy, watery eyes, and a bather. I read where Fresh fish a Cat may not be allergic to it being it is different that the kind in the canned food. She loves fish and I would love to give her some but would she have the same allergic reactions?

Candi's Meal Plan

Breakfast
1/4 tsp of Applaws Canned food with her Thyroid Medicine
Then mix 1 TBSP of Applaws Canned Food with 1 oz Turkey

Supper
2 Oz. Turkey with 1 Scoop of her Natural Pet Vitamins +

Bedtime
1/4 tsp of Applaws Canned Food with her Thyroid Medicine
Then 1 Oz Of Turkey and the remainder 1/4 of her canned food by Applaws.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
The Applaws products are nutritionally complete so no worries there.

Turkey by itself isn't nutritionally complete as you know. I did an analysis of 2 oz of turkey with 1 scoop of the Only Naturals vitamin product ( I got the nutrient analysis from their web site) and the result was a food low in iodine, folic acid, calcium, vit A and thiamin. I wouldn't use it for this purpose. To be fair I don't think it was meant for this purpose.

Is there a reason you don't want to use a product specifically formulated to make just the turkey nutritionally balanced? Like EZComplete or BalanceIT?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
None of the Applaws wet foods sold in the US are complete balanced diets. A little bit daily to help the thyroid medicine go down is fine.

General vitamin supplements aren't enough to turn meat into a proper balanced diet. That particular products says "for general nutritional support." They are meant to supplement a diet that is already complete, that is most commercially available cat foods. You will need to use a pre-mix specifically for raw / home cooked diets such as EZComplete.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
mschauer mschauer as I said I am new at this so I didn't know. We just started Candi on a Cooked Diet that is why I was asking you guys being you all have been doing this for sometime.
LTS3 LTS3 Thanks
I will get this ordered for her being I want to make sure she has what she needs. I know Right now we have been giving her, her Merrick Canned Food and Canidae which she loves best.

mschauer

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
None of the Applaws wet foods sold in the US are complete balanced diets.
Thanks for the correction! I was under the impression they were complete foods.

mschauer mschauer as I said I am new at this so I didn't know. We just started Candi on a Cooked Diet that is why I was asking you guys being you all have been doing this for sometime.
??? And that is why I answered.

Stinky15

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 Thanks
I will get this ordered for her being I want to make sure she has what she needs. I know Right now we have been giving her, her Merrick Canned Food and Canidae which she loves best.
They will send you a sample if you ask them to. I would try it before I spent money on it. You could try AllNutrin as well. They have free samples:
Know What You Feed Your Cat - Alnutrin Supplements - Free Samples

If you haven't already it would be a good idea if you read this:
Feeding Your Cat: Know the Basics of Feline Nutrition – Common Sense. Healthy Cats.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Chrissy66

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have ordered Candi some of the Alnutrin with Calcium (Regular). She does like the Vitamin powder that I got from the Only Natural Pet Store so I am sure this will be even more tasteful. I do have a case of Canidae Canned food for her that I just ordered Friday from Petco. Is there anyway I could just feed her a 1/3 of a can a day just so that she has something for her thyroid medicine and still put the Alnutrin in her Turkey for the remainder of her meals for the day at least until I can get her the Applaws canned food? I just want to make sure she gets her pill twice a day. We also include Turkey Liver with her food. We tried it and she likes it but not Chicken Liver. I plan to get some beef liver to see if she likes it.

Last edited: