New Appreciation For Fosters

keeneland

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I find out everyday how little about cats I know! I know all these people that foster it seems an endless supply of feral & stray cats. These cats are constantly changing due to cats being adopted out and a new cat taking their place. What I failed to realize was how hard it can be to get the cats to accept the "new" cat. We had a stray kitten dropped on us which we would have kept & fed even if it was rather bad timing due to medical issues but our TNR cats were pretty well set on killing it plain & simple. We had to get our local Humane Society to come up with a foster for this kitten. Here's a big THANK YOU to FOSTER'S everywhere who has the patience to help these kitties!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fostering is a big, under appreciated job for sure!

Some fosters have cat rooms and never inter-mingle residents and fosters because it is stressful.

Others have totally laid back residents who accept every cat who comes in the door.

Everyone who fosters has to figure out what works for their household.

In general, it takes months for adult cats to accept one another. Kitten introductions usually go faster. :)

FreedomKitty17

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love fostering kittens! I actually have 4 right now that I'm feeding around the clock. I keep them away from the other cats mostly, but I let them come out if I am able to hold/watch them. It's dangerous sometimes because if they are strays, they could easily have some sort of infection that could be passed on to other cats. Anyway, fostering is a great way to help out and spend time with cats without the responsibilities of owning them :)