New Apartment; Too Small For Second Cat?

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all -
I've just moved my little baby into a new apartment. He was an outdoor-only stray up until now, so I was quite worried about suddenly bringing him into a studio apartment, but I've got to say I am quite impressed by how well he's adjusted. No crying at the door, no trying to sneak out between my legs - it seems like as long I take some time to play with him each day he's perfectly happy. He likes to play rough (my hands look like they went through a garbage disposal) but it's nothing that I'm not prepared to deal with.

So, here's the deal - prior to moving I had planned to adopt a second cat to help keep him entertained. And keeping him entertained by myself is going to become a lot harder once I start working. But before moving in I hadn't realized just how small this space is; I was planning to do the whole "separate the new cat for a while so they can get used to each other" thing, but the only other room I have available is unsuitably tiny, I think... although, considering cat #2 would be coming from a shelter, I guess it wouldn't be anything too new for him. My next-door neighbor has two cats, but that's a somewhat larger space and he lets them outside - and they have met, by the way, via hour-long staring contests through the window. They stopped hissing at each other after the first day, so maybe that's a good sign?

Anyway, just looking for some second opinions, especially considering I filled out the adoption papers prior to moving. They're around the same age, the new one would be a little younger, maybe, and I'll probably be looking for a bigger place by the time my 12-month lease ends. I've thrown in some pics for reference - don't mind the mess, still moving in. Thanks a lot for reading!

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi!

Just a mention, keep your hands and arms out of his mouth, give him a soft toy instead. If he continues, as he grows and gets stronger those bites are going to turn into a very real problem.

You could take a look at these, maybe there's something that might help:

How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

How To Choose The Best Toy For Your Cat

20 Best Interactive Cat Toys: The Ultimate List (2018) | Heavy.com

Home - the Ripple Rug

Food Puzzles for Cats

How To Make Your Home Bigger (at Least For Your Cats)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Mishaxhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh, hey - thanks for that last one! I'd totally forgotten my plans to build some cat shelves and such. That's going to be a project for tomorrow. Oh, the possibilities...

kittyluv387

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know a lot of people have had success with smaller spaces but I personally think active cats should have some room to run around in. If your cats are lazy and sleep all day it might work out. That's how one of my cats is. But the other 2 are quite active and love running around in my 1200 sqft apt. I don't think they would be too pleasant in a studio. So use your best judgment i guess. I guess your set up wouldn't be too different from a shelter that has a free roaming room.