New and need some help

blueforyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My first post!! Im a first time cat owner..he's a 2 year old neutered Ragdoll..a few months agoe he began peeing on the bed. I took him to the vet and had everything checked. Hundreds of dollars later I was told he is fine. I moved his litter box, got a new one and started using the cat attract litter. He seems to love it..will just make a spot for himself and hang out in it. BUT every now and then he pees on the bed..while Im in it sleeping. It's very random and I have no idea what to do. Yes I have gotten a new comforter..wash it and then spray the bejeezes out of it with Nature's Miracle for Cats..I'm about to start cleaning his box 2x daily instead of once. I appeal to you more experienced cat people for help!

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Welcome to TCS. I have moved your post to a new thread so we can give you some individualized attention.

fisheater

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would suggest trying a second litter box then. Some cats like to pee in one and poop in the other.

Edited to add: I would also try a feliway diffuser. Many people on this board have had good luck with them. They are a bit pricey around here though.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
First, thank you for having patience with your boy, and for doing the vet check. I agree, try adding another litter box, somewhat removed from the first one - even just a foot or two. Try open boxes if you haven't already. Clean twice a day if at all possible.

Try to keep a diary of when the events happen - if nothing else, if you end up going back to the vet, it may help either you or the vet establish some sort of pattern.

I'd try spraying something like Zero Odor on the bed itself, including the linens, to remove the odor as much as possible.

And, been there, done that - just keep telling yourself your cat is trying to tell you something, and he's not doing it to be evil or mean. But I know it's stressful for both of you. Good luck.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Since you may be adding a second litter box, I'd like to suggest that the second litter box actually be placed in your bedroom. Just to see if it might help him. Put it in your bedroom and let him know where it's at....place him in the box. Try it and see if that might help you.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

blueforyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks to all of you! I will get a 2nd box..I have already changed from a covered to uncovered box as he is a big boy. I will check out Feliway diffuser and I love the idea of keeping a record of when he does it. Hopefully it will be very short! I will report back..thank you again

blueforyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Not to be a pest, but I like the sound of Feliway..am wondering tho I have a small apartment, 750Sq. feet. If I get a diffuser, will Blue still use the litter boxes or am I better off just spaying the bed area?

katachtig

Staff Member
Admin
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blueforyou

Not to be a pest, but I like the sound of Feliway..am wondering tho I have a small apartment, 750Sq. feet. If I get a diffuser, will Blue still use the litter boxes or am I better off just spaying the bed area?
Spraying the bed after you've cleaned it could be a good idea to start with. It would give you more control than the diffuser.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As I understand it (and I use both forms of Feliway) the diffuser is more of an mood enhancer/peace bringer - cats are just more relaxed being exposed to those pheromones. I use one in my condo which is about 980 feet. It doesn't work immediately (although I noticed my cats seemed to feel more kindly toward each other about 48 hours after I plugged it in). If your boy is having box issues because he sometimes gets scared or nervous in general, the diffuser may help.

I use the spray on their carriers when it's vet time, and also in specific areas if I think they're nervous or upset about a particular spot. If there's something in your bedding that he's trying to either mark as his territory or that upsets him, the spray may be good.

BTW, if you end up using the diffuser, I've started getting my refills via Amazon.com - less expensive that the big box stores.

blueforyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, I got the spray with Feliway..sprayed it, and cleaning the litter box twice a day - he peed on the bed that night..sighs but hasn't in 3 consecutive nights! I spray each morning so we will see. Thanks for all your help

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nature's miracle IMO doesn't work at all...
IMO the only two products that work are Nok-out and Anti-icky-poo .
You also need to REALLY SOAK that area with the product, not only spray or pour a little bit on it...
Beds are complicated because they are so deep... You need to remove the urine as much as you can, then really pour enzyme cleaner in there.
Also, keep in mind, that it takes up to 2 weeks for the enzymes to eat through the urine, so the complete result you will only see then... You somehow need to keep your kitty away from that area for 2 weeks.

Enzyme cleaners are not an odor masking type of products, and it needs to work through it and complete dry... In other surfaces, like carpet, you can protect the are with spiky runners, or aluminum foil, etc...
On the bed it makes it a little more complicated...

Just keep this in mind... You need to block his access until the product is completely dry.

Do not try to accelerate the process by drying with a blow dryer or a fan... it needs that time to work.

Also when you spray Feliway, spray around the area...

Hope this helps to clarify why he keep going there....

cheylink

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sorry to ask again, but how long have you had him? Did you do a slow introduction to the home? Is there anything you can think of that may have triggered this behavior? Have you noticed any other behavioral changes in him? Could there be neighborhood strays lurking around the home?

christinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I know it sounds cruel, but what if you keep him out of the bedroom for a while? Just until he gets into a habit of using the box(es).

Besides it seems to me that if it takes so long for the chemicals to do their work, you have to wait it out and not let the kitty near the bed until then.

blueforyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well, so far so good. We've been 3 nights..no accidents! I am using both the diffuser set up in the bedroom and the spray. I am spraying the comforter daily and cleaning his litter box twice daily. Who is training who?!

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Blueforyou

Well, so far so good. We've been 3 nights..no accidents! I am using both the diffuser set up in the bedroom and the spray. I am spraying the comforter daily and cleaning his litter box twice daily. Who is training who?!
Oh don't ever get your hopes up... SHE will always train you

blueforyou

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I brought Blue home June of 2008 at 14 weeks old. When this problem started I did lock him out of the bedroom unless I was hanging out in there. After a few weeks, I allowed him back in and a week or so later, he began again on the bed. This began in December. I used a liner in his box and he never minded it. After a cleaning I put a fresh one in that was a bit too small and when he went in, it scared him. Then he began on the bed, ONLY in the middle of the night. I brought him to the vet..he is fine..I got new bedding..didnt help, I got a new and larger box and new litter (cat attract) which he loves..but he still has accidents so now I am adding Feliway both diffuser and spray and cleaning his box 2 times a day instead of once. lol good thing Im a patient learner