New Adoption Help

Jenniibean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a two year old male cat and a month ago I adopted a 2 month old male kitten. I did a slow introduction keeping the baby in our bedroom/bathroom and let them feel for each others scents then fed them closer and closer and had the monitored visits to where we were comfortable letting them roam the house together for the past week. They sometimes cuddle and the 2 year old will groom the kitten and play. My worry/problem is the 2 year old will bite and start holding the kitten down while he sort of screams for help and I will pull the older one off of him nicely so he doesn’t feel “punished”. I don’t know why they get along well then he keeps attacking him or what to do! Opinions? Has anyone else dealt with this?!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jenniibean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, they eat together and have litter boxes in the same room which they’re doing great with. Everything is perfect so I just don’t understand why the 2 year old does this..

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It is play with the older one showing his dominance. They are both neutered I hope? They need to work through this to establish heirarchy, you can't intervene on that, but since he is SO little its probably best to remove or distract him like you are. Don't punish them or anything, get his attention with a toy or laser pointer or something if he is too rough.

Desertmouse

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hmm...honestly to me it sounds like the usual dominant behavior (i.e. the older cat is teaching the younger that he is in control). I think young kittens tend t be a bit louder and scream more. I think it has to do with them teaching each other limits as they play?

That said, is there anything that makes you worry that it’s something more then that? Has there been any blood or limping?

I just want to thank you for all the care and patience you gave to these two in introducing them. From the sounds of it, things really went well thanks you ❤.

Jenniibean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It is play with the older one showing his dominance. They are both neutered I hope? They need to work through this to establish heirarchy, you can't intervene on that, but since he is SO little its probably best to remove or distract him like you are. Don't punish them or anything, get his attention with a toy or laser pointer or something if he is too rough.
Yes, both neutered. I do attempt to distract them which typically works but when it doesn’t and there’s screaming I gently pick the older one up and try to calmly say it’s ok, you’re a good boy, etc.

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yeah like I said if they get loud I would probably intervene a bit, but just remember they need to work this out. As long as there is no bloodshed and they otherwise get along great, which it seems like they do, they NEED to work this out amongst themselves.

Jenniibean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hmm...honestly to me it sounds like the usual dominant behavior (i.e. the older cat is teaching the younger that he is in control). I think young kittens tend t be a bit louder and scream more. I think it has to do with them teaching each other limits as they play?

That said, is there anything that makes you worry that it’s something more then that? Has there been any blood or limping?

I just want to thank you for all the care and patience you gave to these two in introducing them. From the sounds of it, things really went well thanks you ❤.
Oh thank you, I did a lot of research before we adopted him because I wanted it to work and not stress my 2 year old out. There’s been no “damage” to the little one, I try to check his body out every time it happens and I keep it positive with the 2 year old when it happens, diverting his attention or picking him up with a happy voice and pets. I do hope it’s a dominance thing and will pass with time but I hate hearing the baby cry out for help and the other not letting go.

Jenniibean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yeah like I said if they get loud I would probably intervene a bit, but just remember they need to work this out. As long as there is no bloodshed and they otherwise get along great, which it seems like they do, they NEED to work this out amongst themselves.
Thank you so much. It worries me hearing the baby scream but since there’s nothing physically wrong, I try not to worry as much and just divert the attention when I am able to.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave2:

Since your cats seem to generally get along, it is probably mock fighting that you're seeing. TCS has an article on How To Safely Break Up A Cat Fight which mentions that most battles between cats are mock battles, but that understanding body language of cats helps to know for sure. So might be helpful to scan the article.